The Glass Half Full Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Glass Half Full Thread

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Cats of course.

Stewart and dangerfield get stretchered off with shattered heads,

And chris or brad scott, it doesnt matter theyre both *smile* with the same genes,

Go into dimmas box to concede,

And dimma drops his duds and browneyes him,

Then retires on the podium
Nah Tarrant picks up fatboy porkins, spins him around several times above his head, then slams him hard to the ground ,then steps on his nuts,it's 31 minutes last quarter,geelong players remonstrate causing a 50metre penalty,then wankerfield, duckwood throw there arms up.in discust,causing another 50metre penalty which the umpire clearly pissed off gives us a 80 metre penalty,we kick the goal and win gf by a point,umpires finally make up.for their biast 2022.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Cats of course.

Stewart and dangerfield get stretchered off with shattered heads,

And chris or brad scott, it doesnt matter theyre both *smile* with the same genes,

Go into dimmas box to concede,

And dimma drops his duds and browneyes him,

Then retires on the podium
Instead of Dimma retiring on the podium, Dusty makes this speech after accepting his 4th Norm:

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Reckon we're not going as bad as it looks.

Yeah, plenty of games we should have won, but we haven't been blown away, we should have won the bloody games.

You're not crap when you are playing top 4 teams and the games could have gone either way. Although I must say, geez it would have been nice to beat Geelong, but we usually reserve that for finals :devilish:

Older players are fading, hey, it happens and anyway, them older players, they won us 3 flags. How can you be downbeat after 3 flags?

There are some young players who do look a bust, won't mention them here we all know who they are.

But there is hope and not just in 1 or 2 players, we have hope in MRJ, Sonsie, Gibcus, Clarke, Nyuon, Miller, Cumberland, Banks, Ryan.

Some others look like they might be very good: Ross, Bauer, Ralphsmith. Some questions but Ross is getting better, Bauer we'll see as he hasn't been with us for long and Ralphsmith has potential but work to do. Hopefully Stack can realise his potential too.

The oldies are declining, but there's life in a few of them yet - Dusty obviously, Cotch and Jack have much to teach and could play on.

We are likely to say goodbye to a few: Shedda, Lambert, but it is goodbye and thanks for the dynasty - what more can you ask of them?

Yeah, I don't reckon we face a cliff, my only fear is sitting around the middle where we don't contend or get good draft picks, but we are doing the right things to get back to contending.

Glass half full? Yeah, hope so, but that glass does look twice the size it needs to be.

DS

Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah, plenty of games we should have won, but we haven't been blown away, we should have won the bloody games.

You're not crap when you are playing top 4 teams and the games could have gone either way. Although I must say, geez it would have been nice to beat Geelong, but we usually reserve that for finals :devilish:

Older players are fading, hey, it happens and anyway, them older players, they won us 3 flags. How can you be downbeat after 3 flags?

There are some young players who do look a bust, won't mention them here we all know who they are.

But there is hope and not just in 1 or 2 players, we have hope in MRJ, Sonsie, Gibcus, Clarke, Nyuon, Miller, Cumberland, Banks, Ryan.

Some others look like they might be very good: Ross, Bauer, Ralphsmith. Some questions but Ross is getting better, Bauer we'll see as he hasn't been with us for long and Ralphsmith has potential but work to do. Hopefully Stack can realise his potential too.

The oldies are declining, but there's life in a few of them yet - Dusty obviously, Cotch and Jack have much to teach and could play on.

We are likely to say goodbye to a few: Shedda, Lambert, but it is goodbye and thanks for the dynasty - what more can you ask of them?

Yeah, I don't reckon we face a cliff, my only fear is sitting around the middle where we don't contend or get good draft picks, but we are doing the right things to get back to contending.

Glass half full? Yeah, hope so, but that glass does look twice the size it needs to be.

DS

Agree on that DS and its why we can't rebuild / rejuvenate the way that we rebuilt the last time. We rebuilt for our 3 flags through drafting at the top end of the draft, we won't have that allowance this time as I agree we aren't falling off a cliff, which is why we need to use the trade market and free agency to our advantage over the next few years.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not sure if my glass I’d half full or half empty ? Totally forgetting the old legends ,We have a couple of good solid middle/young age players in Short , and Graham , we then have 2 I class as A grade in Bolton , Rioli and Baker in the young bracket , THEN we have “ potential “ in a few cubs , we also have a few with lines through them or big questions imho, I.e RCD , Ross, Dow then we have ones who have shown great potential but also like a lot of kids do have the odd Barry Crocker, a little to many BC’s for my liking I.e Hugo, Balta , MJ, Cumberland, Ross, Clarke, Biggy, etc etc

Buggered if I know where this list is at , 2 things imho we MUST address is a young key forward ( really easy to find :cool: ) and FFS get an inside bull , I think the backline would prefer that then having Rancey come out of retirement.

Glass is full again

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
hope we get Taranto or Hopper. For me, Taranto. For many of you, Hopper. No worries either way I hope.
I like Taranto too out of those two, would also prefer both Taranto and Hopper to Green

Taranto can kick goals as well, massive bonus

No left foot

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2020
Richmond leading goalkicker - T Lynch 39
Gold Coast leading goalkicker - M Chol 38

... are we half full or half empty?

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Richmond leading goalkicker - T Lynch 39
Gold Coast leading goalkicker - M Chol 38

... are we half full or half empty?
As much as I love Buddy Light, he is a downhill skier and an out the back player.

I'm fairly bullish on our side moving forward, as long as we pickup at least one elite mid and another clearance player like Crouch.

We have gone most of the season without much input from Dusty, Edwards, Cotchin, Lynch and even Balta and Prestia have been out for decent chunks.

Those players fit and firing (like Melb and Geelong have had) we do not lose those close games.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Good post Sin. Always good to remember what we are doing right rather than just what we are doing wrong.

I reckon the last team to outclass us in any game this year was the Dees in Round 6. Since then we have played 12 games, won 7 of them, drawn 1 and lost 4 by a collective 15 points. We haven't suddenly become a bad team, in fact we are still a very good team, but with a few issues to iron out.

First 15 rounds of the year we scored very well, averaged 25 scoring shots, converting at 57%. The last 3 rounds we have averaged 26 scorings but going at 40%. Using our first 15 average we have underscored by 65 points collectively in those 3 games, again suggesting we are doing a heck of a lot right.

I'm more in the bullish camp, and finals will now be difficult to achieve, but we have a significant core that will be very good for us for a while yet.

Add a bull midfielder to our mix (either Hopper or Taranto), perhaps we can use FA to our advantage to replace Jack in 2023, Himmelberg from the Giants anyone? Adding those couple of positions and adding a few more through the draft to add to our up and comers in Cumbo, Sonsie, Clarke, Brown, Gibcus, MRJ, Ryan, Ross, Stack etc, who can add to our core players in that 21-26 age group then even if we don't make finals this year, I'm confident we can get back in their next.

I'm of the belief that both Cotch and Jack go again next year and we keep Dusty.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
While I agree Chol can be an out the back player and tall forwards should be doing the up front in the marking contest, why don't we put a small forward out the back? FFS the ball goes past a marking contest in our forward line and there's no-one there to crumb it and goal. Our positioning drives me batty at times. We are a good team, should have won more games because we do put ourselves in positions to score and positions to win games.

DS

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
My glass is half full but at the moment the beer in it has gone flat.

We are playing far too well to be out of the 8 and a high chance of missing finals for a second year in a row. Is that the price we pay for having a few to many young players and a couple of oldies not pulling their weight. We can’t carry players at both ends of the age spectrum.

This year has shown we no longer have the depth to be a top side, or even a top 8 side - that’s the price you pay for 3 flags which is one I am prepared to pay.

One mistake we made this year was relying to much on our older players to help our newbies settle into our team - Edwards, Lambert, Lynch and Martin haven’t been able to get on the park enough - and our depth players Aarts and George were not up to it. Let‘s not make the same mistake again as this will only get worse next year if we are not careful.

I had higher expectations this year so I am a bit flat tbh - I expected our stars would continue to dominate and win games - they can‘t any more.

The reason the glass is half full is that the draft of 21 could be a bonanza - 3 of the 5 already have managed at least 2 AFL games and have shown something which is more than I expected but we won’t really know their quality for at least two years (30 games).

Our other young players have all shown growth at various stages - Rioli x2, Baker Bolton et al so there is something to move forward with at least.

Missing finals last year was enough for me so I will struggle to wait another year or so for the squad to gel and get back there again as I can’t see us producing the same level of play next year as we have produced this year.

This was the year to really reinforce our dominance, we are playing well enough to get to the line, but not quite enough to get over it I am afraid.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria

DS
100%. For 2023, we’re two quality mids, one quality small forward (may already be there in the list) & revised clearance/stoppage structure from fully competing for a flag. I’m assuming Cotchin & Riewoldt play on, Lynch stays fit & Martin stays & stays fit.

Reactions: 1 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Can we rename this the glass overflowing onto the table and all over the floor thread?

After the news this week, WTF is this thread doing on page *smile* 9?

Embarrassed Shame GIF

LIFT!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
100%. For 2023, we’re two quality mids, one quality small forward (may already be there in the list) & revised clearance/stoppage structure from fully competing for a flag. I’m assuming Cotchin & Riewoldt play on, Lynch stays fit & Martin stays & stays fit.
Happy? :)

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Time to reinvigorate this thread everyone.

Lots of posters in this thread talking about us being two quality midfielders short … :ROFLMAO:

• Love

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
2023 will be harder because Cotch will be 33, Dusty and Grimes 32, Jack 34. On the other hand, I could see a Superhunk or three emerging from last year's draftees, and we should have recruited mature midfield quality between seasons.

Anyway, 2022 is still alive.
Sonz Cumbo and Moju and Miller have answered your call Spooker!

They bring the new energy and Taranto, and Hopper will bring the new midfield.

Then there is also Stack who could be an ace in himself.