THE GRANNY!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

THE GRANNY!!

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
I was barracking for GWS because I hate Collingwood, and the possibility of losing a GF to them would have been unbearable. But it was laid bare during the game that Collingwood would have no chance against us. I couldn't quite bring myself to barrack for them but make no mistake, the Giants will be very tough to beat.

I reckon Collingwood are better than GWS and lost the game for two reasons:

1) Buckley is not a great match day coach and went too defensive for too long. He has a great, attacking bunch of mids and doesn’t unleash them often enough.

2) Rain. Suited GWS, didn’t suit them. As soon as the ball dried the Maggies were dangerous.

GWS are plucky and have momentum. Aside from that, we are comfortably the better team.

Reactions: 1 user

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
Im making the mistake.

Fell in against brisbane and pies.

They were almost overwhelmed when Collingwood played 15 minutes of richmond football

Richmond will play 120 minutes

Spot on Ezy.

GWS are being overrated. Their bottom six isn’t great reading.

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Quote from daughter No. 1 today.

"After the VFL grand final I will need a sedative on Saturday."

What nail biting finish that was. When the seagull took that mark dead in front I reckoned we were done like a dinner. What a let off.

Thought so too Gray.
Had despair and couldn’t look at the second kick .

Why we were not playing in front in the dying minutes when a quick kick could come in quick or drop short.

Loose men everywhere towards the end.

Fortunate . Take it.
We lost the 17 VFL GF by a few points. Heartbreak then.

Seagulls were good.
Credit there but that’s footy.

Can’t handle an AFL GF like that though.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I was barracking for GWS because I hate Collingwood, and the possibility of losing a GF to them would have been unbearable. But it was laid bare during the game that Collingwood would have no chance against us. I couldn't quite bring myself to barrack for them but make no mistake, the Giants will be very tough to beat.

I agree, with players like Greene coming back and Mumford probably wanting to go out with a bang we can't take them lightly. I'm nervous.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
I agree, with players like Greene coming back and Mumford probably wanting to go out with a bang we can't take them lightly. I'm nervous.

I'll only be nervous if the Tigers take GWS lightly, but I don't believe that's going to happen.

GWS will throw everything at us in the first quarter and try and break the game open, but as the game wears on the Richmond Way will grind them down and then in the last quarter the Tigers will roll right over the top of them.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Have to say I’m worried about big mummy.
Reckon he’ll go out swinging.

Soldo isnt a mug
Nakas doesn't mind the biffo either.
Mummy will be Mummified when we finish with him

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
No doubt GWS have momentum which has proven to be powerful at the this time of the year, BUT:

• We have never lost to GWS at the G
  • GWS have a poor overall record at the G. They’re wins at the G have mostly against Coll.
  • They will need to travel for a 3rd week in a row to attempt back to back wins at the G against a team that owns the G.
  • They were spent in the last qtr yesterday. They played their GF yesterday and it showed.
  • Our Tigers are the better balanced team with an ingrained system that’s been tested in big games time and time again.
  • We left a cup on the table last year when we dished up our worst half of football in over 2 years. The ‘redemption’ theme is real and a driving force for this group.
Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but if I was a neutral observer, I’d be very confident about the Tigers getting the job done.

all of this is correct, but the important one is their second half fadeouts. they nearly got ran over by the lions and pies. there were also games late in the home and away season where the got destroyed in the second half. Footscray, Hawthorn, Port to name a few. And of course, we destroyed Brisbane and Geelong in the second half ourselves.

then add to the fact they will be on the road for the 3rd week. we had the week off. our MCG record. we've been there before. its hard not to be super confident.

Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
i'm as relaxed as i was prior to the Brisbane and Geelong finals and they worked out okay

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
I see Hawthorn thrashed GWS both times this year.

Hopefully Clarko provides some intelligence to Dimma again (like he did re the Adelaide Granny)

Reactions: 1 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Interesting observations.

We are favourites for a reason and I like that we have form now.

4. reasons we win the war

1. At the moment, defence wins premierships and I reckon we have the better defence.
2. Big men win premiershis and we have em in spades - 2 in the ruck, 2 forwards and 1 in defence.
3. Game style wins premierships as the increased pressure makes the game chaotic and fast - that plays to our strengths
4. We will come home with gusto - GWS were out on their feet against the pies but all our finals wins (6 over the last 3 years) we have opened up the game and come home like a bullet train.

I can see GWS winning some battles.

1. De Boar against Dusty (didn’t like the reports Dusty suffered a cookie to add)
2. Cameron’s a jet and so is Greene, Kelly and Witfeild
3. Others .........

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'd add the fact the crowd, other than the neutrals who wont get that feral, will be predominantly Richmond. We'll be loud and intimidating

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Don’t forget mummy gives away a lot of free kicks also.....his stupidity could be to our advantage
I'd add the fact the crowd, other than the neutrals who wont get that feral, will be predominantly Richmond. We'll be loud and intimidating

Will we have such a crown dominance though ? With so many neutrals there wouldn't surprise if a lot of them barrack for the Giants

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Will we have such a crown dominance though ? With so many neutrals there wouldn't surprise if a lot of them barrack for the Giants

Sure, they may support, but they wont be feral about it. We'll be very loud, and a lot louder than a bunch of neutrals will bother cheering.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I see Hawthorn thrashed GWS both times this year.

Hopefully Clarko provides some intelligence to Dimma again (like he did re the Adelaide Granny)
Got a feeling they exchange intel constantly, except, of course, when they play each other. Have a look at the Hawthorn game style vs Wet Coats, looked very much how the Tigs attacked them. I know Clarko and Simmo are mates, but not besties.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I reckon Collingwood are better than GWS and lost the game for two reasons:

1) Buckley is not a great match day coach and went too defensive for too long. He has a great, attacking bunch of mids and doesn’t unleash them often enough.

2) Rain. Suited GWS, didn’t suit them. As soon as the ball dried the Maggies were dangerous.

GWS are plucky and have momentum. Aside from that, we are comfortably the better team.
Buckley lost this at the selection table. Went in too top heavy. Ben Reid inclusion says its all. This bloke had a set of thick hair the last time he had a decent game. He should have brought in another runner.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Buckley lost this at the selection table. Went in too top heavy. Ben Reid inclusion says its all. This bloke had a set of thick hair the last time he had a decent game. He should have brought in another runner.

My thoughts too. I'm not sure if true, but I suspect Reid will be delisted at the end of the season and I think Bucks wanted to give him is 150th. If true, that stinks of arrogance and over confidence but to me that's what seemed to be coming out of Collingwood, like they could just show up and roll into the GF.

We won't make the same mistake.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
When was the last time the favourite won the GF? Can't recall who was favourite last year.

2017 we weren't favourites and pretty sure Dogs were underdogs in 2016. Maybe Hawthorn in 2015 but WCE beat them in the first final so maybe not?

Hawthorn were probably favourites in 2014 against Swans and against Freo in 2013.

I feel favourites haven't had a great record in GFs recently. Not that it means anything really; we play near our best and we win. But if we are bit off we will have a tough time.

We should be right. Go Tigers!

2018 Pies were favourite - lost
2017 Crows - lost
2016 Sydney - lost
2015 Hawks - won
2014 Sydney - lost
2013 Hawks - won
2012 Hawks - lost
2011 Geelong - won
2010 Collingwood - won
2009 Geelong - won

Last 10 years, 4 of 5 favourites won 2009 to 2013 but in the last 5, 4 of the 5 favourites lost.