The new era: changes v Port | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The new era: changes v Port

This morning I watched our 2019, round 4 battle against Port where we went in undermanned & had a memorable upset win on their deck.
Lynch in his 1st year with us was great & a whole host of young cubs were terrific headed by J Ross on debut.

What was most notable though was Grimesy was a wall that day in the upset win.
He marked absolutely everything & really lead from the front in defence, just 3 weeks after Rance did his knee. He was playing Alex's role just as well if not better. Incredible that game as he has been in many before & since.

That's why it's so tough to watch what he's delivering now. He is a shadow of that player.
He's fumbling & second guessing himself. Focused purely on defence, & taking few intercept marks. His dexterity & pace has dropped away too. It was evident.
As said many times this is a result of lack of confidence in his body. Common in older players as soft tissue injuries mount.

He might play on next year but there's no way he should be captain. I won't be surprised if the new coach taps him on the shoulder either given our list.
Father time is coming for Dylan.
VFL captain ?

Reactions: 1 users
Like to see Mansell in full time & given a job on Butters or Rozee. Bauer in for Jack. MRJ for Pickett

Reactions: 1 user
This morning I watched our 2019, round 4 battle against Port where we went in undermanned & had a memorable upset win on their deck.
Lynch in his 1st year with us was great & a whole host of young cubs were terrific headed by J Ross on debut.

What was most notable though was Grimesy was a wall that day in the upset win.
He marked absolutely everything & really lead from the front in defence, just 3 weeks after Rance did his knee. He was playing Alex's role just as well if not better. Incredible that game as he has been in many before & since.

That's why it's so tough to watch what he's delivering now. He is a shadow of that player.
He's fumbling & second guessing himself. Focused purely on defence, & taking few intercept marks. His dexterity & pace has dropped away too. It was evident.
As said many times this is a result of lack of confidence in his body. Common in older players as soft tissue injuries mount.

He might play on next year but there's no way he should be captain. I won't be surprised if the new coach taps him on the shoulder either given our list.
Father time is coming for Dylan.

Yeah he was incredible that match mate.

His drop off is hurting us. No way would we be conceding the bags of goals we have recently if Grima was near his peak.

Hopefully the Champ just needs his body to have a break, but it doesn't look good.

Some numbers (2019 Vs 2023. 2019 first):

Disposals 12.9 Vs 9.0
Contested Marks 1.2 Vs 0.3
Rebound 50's 2.9 Vs 1.8
Score Involvements 2.2 Vs 1.2
Metres gained 151 Vs 108
Turnovers 1.5 Vs 2.0
Intercepts 6.9 Vs 5.7

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
McQualter is on a hiding to nothing this week.

Port at home still have lots to play for so will go in full strength hoping to win big. They need points & percentage for a top 2 finish.
They'll be throwing the kitchen sink at us.

What will we do? Bring in a lot of kids or find a balance & remain competitive.
We could bring in a heap of youngsters & then get beaten by 100pts.
or we could go with the same faces & lose by 50.

I'd rather lose by 100 I reckon & get some exposure to the kids at the level.
Who knows they may even surprise.

Mini though? He's got to work miracles to get a win.

Reactions: 2 users
In: Tom Brown, Rhyan Mansell, James Trezise, Sam Banks, Jacob Bauer, Ben Miller

Out: Dion Prestia (managed - leg), Jack Riewoldt (retired), Trent Cotchin (retired)

Strange not seeingt he names of Cotchin and Riewoldt on the team sheet but good to see some new names in the squad. Even if not picked on Friday, at least they know they are getting close to their dream

Reactions: 4 users
Where is the video of Tresize or Brown getting the call up?

Reactions: 1 users
Who gets a gig from the 8 listed on the bench? I don’t think we,ll debut Brown AND Trezise, just Brown. Soldo has to play again. Miller I seriously doubt, Mansell too. They’ll probably go again with Graham & McIntosh at a guess.