The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah I vaguely remember her Bobbi.
She was just 20 yo at the time and had freaky blonde hair. Sad to see her look a bit gaunt nowadays so she must've carried an illness. Only 58yo.

As for the Barry Humphries misinformation, just proves the amateurs all media is nowadays. Can't report accurately for sh!t.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
RiP Mark Stewart of influential British post-punk band The Pop Group

not many like this bloke out there ...

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The Barry Humphries would be the funniest live shows I have ever attended and his regular tv shows and appearances likewise. And like me he didn't find Hannah Gadsby particularly funny.

Will be sorely missed.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I loved how passionate Barry Humpries was about his own backyard, loved Camberwell with a passion even tho he relocated to London. Saved Camberwell station from redevelopment, labelled the proposed development “Godzilla’s footprint.”

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
You hope they continue to play the clips warts and all despite the non-PC nature of them.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I loved how passionate Barry Humpries was about his own backyard, loved Camberwell with a passion even tho he relocated to London. Saved Camberwell station from redevelopment, labelled the proposed development “Godzilla’s footprint.”
He was a Christowel street lad Scoop. The house he was raised in is still largely intact along with a few others in the area known as the Golf Links Estate in Camberwell that were built by his father who was a builder.
It was originally the Riversdale Golf Club that was relocated to Huntingdale in the 1930s.
Barry didn’t save the station from redevelopment on his own. Rob Quantock was heavily involved along with another famous Camberwell resident in Geoffrey Rush.
He truly loved Melbourne and knew it so well. His live shows as Edna when in Melbourne were incredibly funny because he knew the city and all its foibles.
I saw him a couple of times in Melbourne and I don’t think I ever have laughed as much at any show before and since.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
He was a Christowel street lad Scoop. The house he was raised in is still largely intact along with a few others in the area known as the Golf Links Estate in Camberwell.
It was originally the Riversdale Golf Club that was relocated to Huntingdale in the 1930s.
Barry didn’t save the station from redevelopment on his own. Rob Quantock was heavily involved along with another famous Camberwell resident in Geoffrey Rush.
He truly loved Melbourne and knew it so well. His live shows as Edna when in Melbourne were incredibly funny because he knew the city and all its foibles.
I saw the him a couple of times in Melbourne and I don’t think I ever have laughed as much at any show before and since.
Rod Quantock? If so, what happened to him? Haven't seen him for ages.

Humphries placed Moonee Ponds on the map too. I wonder why in Bummerland?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Don’t know
Dame Edna was loosely based on his mother originally, who he didn’t have a great relationship with as she was embarrassed by him and didn’t hold back telling him.
I have his book somewhere, maybe it will shed some light on Moonee Ponds. Part of his family also came from Thornbury but I can’t recall if that was his mother or his fathers side.
Even by the time of time of the campaign to stop the redevelopment of Camberwell station Rob Quantock wasn’t doing a lot except captain snooze ads ( or was it 40
winks?) but he was passionate about the suburb. That would have been 15 years ago.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Don’t know
Dame Edna was loosely based on his mother originally, who he didn’t have a great relationship with as she was embarrassed by him and didn’t hold back telling him.
I have his book somewhere, maybe it will shed some light on Moonee Ponds. Part of his family also came from Thornbury but I can’t recall if that was his mother or his fathers side.
Even by the time of time of the campaign to stop the redevelopment of Camberwell station Rob Quantock wasn’t doing a lot except captain snooze ads ( or was it 40
winks?) but he was passionate about the suburb. That would have been 15 years ago.
Thanks Sin. It's Rod not Rob. I don't have too much interest in (auto)biographies, but this will be one I will definitely read.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

I heard the terribly unfunny Quantock on 3CR a few weeks ago.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
From a great, To a great.

I haven't learnt/read too much history in Dame Edna but I wonder how it was reviewed publicly through the 50s and 60s when Barry started the character (i.e. transvestite?)
Wasn’t Danny LaRue quite popular in those days as well? The whole blokes dressing up as women was a staple of comedy for years.

Reactions: 1 user