The run home - Can we make top 4 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The run home - Can we make top 4

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I am not thinking about top 4. Right now it’s irrelevant. Our focus should be consolidating our position in the top 8 and ensuring our best 22 is on the park.

Best 22

B: Short Balta Vlastuin
HB: Houli Grimes Broad
C: Macintosh Martin Pickett
HF: Lambert Lynch Riewoldt
FF: Stack CCJ Bolton
Foll: Nankervis Cotchin Prestia
Int: Baker Castagna Graham Edwards
Emerg: Chol Aarts Caddy Astbury

looks like a premiership side to me Aces.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
looks like a premiership side to me Aces.
That’s a damn fine team. Would be hard pressed to find a better line up in the league. But the key is getting them all on the park at the same time.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Just need to finish 5th or 6th to avoid an away first final. That would leave only Brisbane as an away possibility which wouldn't scare me too much (although they may currently have the longest winning streak against us).

Reactions: 1 user

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
Main thing for me is if we can make top 8.

We do that, we give ourselves a fighting chance.

September holds no worries for us, just have to get there in one piece.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
curious times .. not much different to 2019 at the same time.. but some teams above us better placed ..
some will falter ..
still believe we are well and truly in this ..

Reactions: 2 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
we are in it...just.
would have preffered 4th.
blew that last night.
it looks like 6th or 7th now i reckon.
6th with close to full strength list would be nice.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
I just dont see us working hard enough to match the demons or cats ( 2021 GF teams IMO)
We just dont have the class to compensate how the rule changes have affected game, and our game.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Need to get to win 12 as fast as possible. That historically secures us a finals spot.
Then need to get to and/or hold onto 5th or 6th for a home final.
Can't see us pulling off a 2019 after the bye.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes, we turned it over too much last night. Yes, we should have won when we were, what, 20 points up with 10 minutes to go. Yes, we have blown two close games interstate by very close margins. Not great.

But West Coast played well last night. They took every chance we gave them and slotted goals, barely missing.

We played West Coast at their home ground where home ground advantage is huge. They slotted a ridiculous number of difficult shots on goal, barely missed even from 40 out near the boundary. They played well, and we only just lost.

The game has changed and not to our benefit, quite the opposite. We are adjusting but that takes time and there were periods of the game last night where it did look more like a Richmond game and we were on top. Fix up some silly turnovers and we win that one by a decent margin.

Will be very difficult with genuinely good teams rising. Melbourne are the real deal, they fixed up their defence after 2018 which was their main weakness and they are a real shot. Geelong? Time to get real here - Geelong made a PF in 2019 and were ahead at half time, they then made a GF in 2020 and were ahead at half time. Add in some quality players, now with 2 potent forwards, and what do you reckon? Of course they're contenders and so they should be, they went damned close last year, weren't far off the year before and have strengthened. Geelong's game plan worked before the rule changes, it still works and they have made a few tweaks to move the ball faster, will be hard to beat.

We have shown our football stands up in finals, we clearly should make finals, maybe not top 4, but we'll be there. It will be difficult this year, but not impossible. But we do have young players coming through and a good draft hand. Maybe we don't get 3 in a row, but the premiership window is still open and the opportunity to keep it open for a sustained period is there.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Did anyone else notice JR holding his bandaged wrist. Seemed to hurt it even further after he grimaced and hardly saw him after that.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
@LeeToRainesToRoach , how many teams that were 8th after round 13 got into the top 4?
It's complicated a bit by split rounds.

After playing 13 games in a 22-round season, 8th has finished

top 4: three times (Melbourne 2000, Collingwood 2003, Richmond 2019)
5th-8th: 27 times
worse than 8th: 20 times

Since the final 8

top 4: 3
5th-8th: 9
> 8th: 14

Notes:
1991 - no team was 8th after completing 13 games
1992 - Hawthorn then Fitzroy were 8th through the split rounds
2019 - Richmond then Fremantle were 8th through the split rounds

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Let's cut out the *smile*
Vaulstin's kick, Baker's deliberate, Shorts Brain fade and Martin's cool head lost us the game tonight.
They might've had Shuey McGovern and Kelly missing.
But we had Flappers, Pickett, Chol, Caddy, Cotchin and Balta all choosing to play their worse games of the year.
The mistakes we made tonight brought back memories of the final against Carlton
Agree with all that but stop letting your boy off Zips...he was sh!t last night.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Reckon we should play for eighth.Just manage all the players for the rest of the home and away season.then have afully fit and experienced team ready to fly and win four finals in a row for our threepeat. Would be exciting and *smile* the AFL off.
Then get an Elimination final in Perth and a Semi in Brisbane or Adelaide ........pass.

We need to finish 5th or 6th.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
our record against top 8 sides this year is terrible. i think we are just making up the numbers.
I am concerned about this. 1-6 against the top 7 sides is very poor form. We should have won 2 of them but the other 4 were comfortable losses; 2 were thrashings.

Our form has been well below par this year.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Quite simply the team collective need to raise the fight.