The run home - Can we make top 4 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The run home - Can we make top 4

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We will knock Dudbourne out in the first semi.

If we can combine that with kicking Geelong out in an elimination final, that would be so perfect that winning the Grand Final would be the cherry on the cake

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yes, we turned it over too much last night. Yes, we should have won when we were, what, 20 points up with 10 minutes to go. Yes, we have blown two close games interstate by very close margins. Not great.

But West Coast played well last night. They took every chance we gave them and slotted goals, barely missing.

We played West Coast at their home ground where home ground advantage is huge. They slotted a ridiculous number of difficult shots on goal, barely missed even from 40 out near the boundary. They played well, and we only just lost.

The game has changed and not to our benefit, quite the opposite. We are adjusting but that takes time and there were periods of the game last night where it did look more like a Richmond game and we were on top. Fix up some silly turnovers and we win that one by a decent margin.

Will be very difficult with genuinely good teams rising. Melbourne are the real deal, they fixed up their defence after 2018 which was their main weakness and they are a real shot. Geelong? Time to get real here - Geelong made a PF in 2019 and were ahead at half time, they then made a GF in 2020 and were ahead at half time. Add in some quality players, now with 2 potent forwards, and what do you reckon? Of course they're contenders and so they should be, they went damned close last year, weren't far off the year before and have strengthened. Geelong's game plan worked before the rule changes, it still works and they have made a few tweaks to move the ball faster, will be hard to beat.

We have shown our football stands up in finals, we clearly should make finals, maybe not top 4, but we'll be there. It will be difficult this year, but not impossible. But we do have young players coming through and a good draft hand. Maybe we don't get 3 in a row, but the premiership window is still open and the opportunity to keep it open for a sustained period is there.

DS
Like your thought process.
"Our football stands up in finals" does that need to be qualified with "under the old rules"?
I know finals footy is different but it is still played under the rules of the current home and away season.

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Let's cut out the *smile*
Vaulstin's kick, Baker's deliberate, Shorts Brain fade and Martin's cool head lost us the game tonight.
They might've had Shuey McGovern and Kelly missing.
But we had Flappers, Pickett, Chol, Caddy, Cotchin and Balta all choosing to play their worse games of the year.
The mistakes we made tonight brought back memories of the final against Carlton
You forgot to mention Castagna whose mistake with ball in hand finally cost us the game!

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Top four is gone now.

What we should do is ensure we are ready to win four finals. If that means we drop one or two in the home and away then so be it.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the focus has shifted internally.

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Two weeks of stewing for everybody. I won’t feel good about footy until we get our next win.

And I reserve my right to avoid all the shows and talkback

Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The way we are imploding we will be lucky to make the eight which will make it all the harder for the three-peat.

I don’t think we’re imploding UK.

Dumb footy is bad footy, that’s all.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
We are still in this up to our eyeballs - make no mistake.

Assuming 4th and 5th both win next week, we will only be 2 games behind them - it will be an ask but I reckon we can do it, if we get on a roll and we play one of those teams - Brisbane - so if we are good enough we could catch them and still make top 4. The more likely scenario I think is that we finish outside the top 4 though.

For us, I actually think it will be an advantage for us to finish 5 or 6 than top 4 simply because we thrive on the challenge. Like being behind in a prelim and getting up (2019), playing a tight prelim game away and winning, coming from behind in last years granny and winning.

Each season after winning the flag was always going to get harder as its harder to keep motivated - we almost need to make it backs to the wall for us to play our best footy and for some of our aging stars they know this could be the last year for them to realistically play for a medal.

We are still spluttering along and there will be some more tweaks to our best 22 which might surprise but we have the team that can do it as long as we hit the finals with most of our A graders fit.

Feb 25, 2007
Two weeks of stewing for everybody. I won’t feel good about footy until we get our next win.

Lol me too. Have stayed off FB etc to avoid the Richmond hater trolls. Agree, want to wash this loss away with our next win. If we are fair dinkum which I know we are we should be beating all of the saints, GC and Pies in the next 3 games.

On the couch now, Browny and Nick did say we played well enough and un Richmond like to lose a game halfway through the last being 22 points up.
But bad turnovers cost them in the end.
Also, they all agreed that the kick by Ryan to Kennedy was not even more than 10 meters but needed to be a brave umpire to not pay that mark.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
We've been clunky all year.

I'm wondering how much the lack of a proper pre-season is affecting us. Pretty much our whole midfield is trying t oget some game time after injury, and that on top of a very short pre-season. That takes away one of our major strengths, the ability to grind teams into the ground.

After the bye, we've got some (hopefully) soft kills to sharpen our fangs on before running into the finals.

I'm not that impressed with any of the sides above us, it's just that we haven't been that impressive either.

Looking forward beyond this year, as our list ages, it will be difficult to continue that hard running game, so we will need to start getting time into kids unless we wantto lose a number of them and fall off a cliff like the other dynasty sides.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I don’t think we’re imploding UK.

Dumb footy is bad footy, that’s all.
Imploding? We have won 2 out of 3, and just lose by 4 points in Perth after a dodgy mark without Nank, Prestia, Cotchin and Lynch.

We should still be premiership favourites.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Yep nothing worse than going into a bye after a *smile* loss like that. It’s a long time to wait for redemption.

Reactions: 2 users