The War on Saturday Afternoon Footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The War on Saturday Afternoon Footy

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I have to get home and then to the footy, really hate going straight from work.

DS

totally get this.

im self employed, so on game days, I either give myself a paid day off,

or take a little bottle of rum on the tractor,

and end up just parking under a tree and posting on PRE.

then if we win, I ring the accountant and tell him to invest my match payment bonus,

on tigers to win the flag.

and so it goes .....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
As long as the club keeps getting my membership money I don't think they care if I stay home and watch the game at home.

Reactions: 1 user

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
So long as Monday night football NEVER comes back I will begrudgingly live with other time slots.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Even though I’m usually in bed at quarter time, I like Thursday night footy, however I’m not that keen on it if we’re playing , basically means either taking a day off or arriving home after 1 am , to be honest no big deal, just whats has to be done to watch live footy.

Haven’t given it much thought , however Saturday arvo is probably still my favourite all though just as happy with Saturday night, both give the opportunity to have a chat pre and post game with fellow Tiges .

For us from the bush , if you include fuel, hotel , refreshments it’s not far from a $500 24 hours, the old Sunday 1.10 start helps the bank balance

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I really used to enjoy the walk to the G for the Saturday 2.00pm game.When arriving at the the ground there was a real buzz.The night games just do not cut it IMO.Perhaps the AFL should introduce a blockbuster game every two weeks based on form and ladder position.
Biggest problems with Thurs and Fri night games is people are always rushed and still under the workday hype / tension, so it's never a relaxing unwind n get into the game feeling. Thurs nights are made even worse by the fact that ya still have to turn up to work the next day and if it's a really tense game as the GeeWhizz one was. It takes hours to ease down properly afterwards.
Much prefer a lazy unwound Sat or Sun game at whatever time they want to put it on.

Reactions: 2 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
On Saturday AFL want a continuous telecast for 10 hors ...starting at 1.45 games are staggered so that there is virtually no minute without live footy ....so leaves only the two slots for full daylight games plus the early start Sunday.... 33% of games played under the sun.

Even in recent years we have had great crowds at these games with a quality opponent.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It would make perfect sense for the AFL to try and eliminate Saturday afternoon games because I think, (may have changed recently), every year they do their fan surveys, 2pm Saturday is THE most favoured time.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It would make perfect sense for the AFL to try and eliminate Saturday afternoon games because I think, (may have changed recently), every year they do their fan surveys, 2pm Saturday is THE most favoured time.
everyone says it is their favourite time slot, but it would be interesting to see a true analysis of crowd figures, and tv ratings, for the various slots, taking into account the match ups.

i used to love going to the G on a Saturday arvo and following the other games on the scoreboard, but those days are gone. I must admit there is sense int he push to not have games overlap.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
For us from the bush , if you include fuel, hotel , refreshments it’s not far from a $500 24 hours,

:mhihi

Yep, I've worked out my meter ticks over at $47/hour during finals series, and it literally runs 24/7.

so I reckon your H&A rate is reasonable

Thankfully, the bookies always provide me with a kind of access-all-areas cab charge every September :cool:

• Haha

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
My bug bear with night games is the start time being so kid-unfriendly. Should start at 7pm.

this is one of my arguments for changing to 18 minute quarters and shorter break times. night games will finish earlier, which makes it better for families.

everyone says it is their favourite time slot, but it would be interesting to see a true analysis of crowd figures, and tv ratings, for the various slots, taking into account the match ups.

good point. this Saturday arvo we have Carlton v Hawthorn and Geelong v Gold Coast. Not exactly blockbusters. When was the last time there was a genuine blockbuster (2 top teams in front of a near sellout on a Saturday afternoon?)

i used to love going to the G on a Saturday arvo and following the other games on the scoreboard, but those days are gone. I must admit there is sense int he push to not have games overlap.

Our friend Kane Cornes touched on this a few weeks ago. He said games should not be played concurrently anymore. There are only 2 ways you can do this:
1. Shorten games.
2. Keep Saturday afternoon.

Eg. If games were 18 minutes quarters and breaks shortened, you could do something like this:
Game 1: Thursday 7:15pm
Game 2: Friday 7:15pm
Game 3: Friday 9:30pm (from Perth)
Game 4: Saturday 12:30pm
Game 5: Saturday 2:45pm
Game 6: Saturday 5:00pm
Game 7: Saturday 7:15pm
Game 8: Sunday 2:45pm
Game 9: Sunday 5:00pm

Sidenote: If you wanted to make Thursdays permanent, it would be easier to minimise 5-6 day breaks by cutting 1 Sunday game and having 2 Friday night games.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Sorry guys, the kids just have to suck it up. I don't want the quarters shortened just because little Johnny and Jessica need to go to bed.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I’m a crusty old traditionalist, so my favourite time slot is Saturday afternoons. Friday night is second. The rest all come a distant 3rd with Thursday night hands down stone motherless last.
With you 100% on this mate (even the crusty old part :mhihi).

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
For us from the bush , if you include fuel, hotel , refreshments it’s not far from a $500 24 hours, the old Sunday 1.10 start helps the bank balance
Hmmm. I would politely suggest your “refreshments” item accounts for the larger part of your expenses.

• Haha

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
People need to realise once and for all that the AFL does not give a rats arse about what the fans want or tradition.

The game has long been bought and sold to the Corporate's and the Broadcasters who are directly responsible for all the BS we are seeing ruining our great game.

It's all about TV and Pay TV, and revenue.

More time between goals for ads, continuously changing the rules to try and encourage more goals (hasn't worked) but more goals equals more ads equals more cash !!

The Players Union advocate most of the BS like shortening the game because more cash for the AFL will eventually mean more money for the players through rights and raised salary caps.

The AFL use the media to push their agenda its all contrived by business for business, there is no doubt the AFL has a control on all media agendas, trends and talking points in regard to the game and has influence in regard to what may or may not be covered in depth.

Hence the "GAME IS TOO LONG BS " which you will hear ad nauseum every week on every show be it TV or radio or Pod Cast for the rest of the season until they change it at seasons end because THEY WANTED TO ALL ALONG, not because fans want it.

They could easily shave a whack of time off by not waiting 90 seconds between goals or whatever BS time is wasted do the corporate s get more ads in for more cash.

Start there ..................so says common sense but naaaah lets shorten the game.

AFLX and AFLW the testing grounds for what they want going forward games much less length as per last season and why ....

More games games on to maximise TV audiences and Rights and advertising revenue, they will use the fair fixturing excuse of playing every side twice but need shorter games to protect the physical welfare of the players.

Covid gave the AFL a very nice covert opportunity to Beta Test much of what is coming in one guise or another whether you the fans want it or not.

Anyone who does not think there is a longer term agendas at play here is sadly not paying attention or has their head up their proverbial..

Then throw in the fact the AFL has also been corrupted as a political and social engineering agenda tool and its just more evidence the league and its product is contrived.

2020 will have changed if not ended many people's old routine of going to the footy, for the near and medium term at least.

Many can no longer afford it due to Covid costing them their jobs or livelihoods, houses, businesses, many no longer care for various reasons see aforementioned, and many others have learned that they can do life quite easily without going to the footy anymore.

The AFL is as corrupt and contrived an organization as there is going around.

Apologies for the rant. Many will disagree with me. It's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users