The War on Saturday Afternoon Footy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The War on Saturday Afternoon Footy

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
So is KFC.
Ha Ha

True that my Dear Redness very true, so is Nando's that #$%#&% is pricey AF, but I'll pay for better quality especially as I don't frequent there much at all.

Gotta give CC some love here when it comes to his fondness of the Dirty Bird.

I'd rather what KFC is charging than the exorbitant prices that Maccas plastic garbage is sold for man that used to be cheap and nasty now its just nasty dressed up as not so nasty and twice more expensive.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ha Ha

True that my Dear Redness very true, so is Nando's that #$%#&% is pricey AF, but I'll pay for better quality especially as I don't frequent there much at all.

Gotta give CC some love here when it comes to his fondness of the Dirty Bird.

I'd rather what KFC is charging than the exorbitant prices that Maccas plastic garbage is sold for man that used to be cheap and nasty now its just nasty dressed up as not so nasty and twice more expensive.
Lifetime gold card would probably cut down on his costs I suppose.

• Haha

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Love satdy arvo more than any other spot , this debate is a Media driven one coz I don’t imagine it would attract peak views . I’ve always thought it would be a great permanent spot v a traditional rival say COLL , do some cut price value seating packages to really gun for a bumper crowd ea time bit of a retro feels about it

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Love satdy arvo more than any other spot , this debate is a Media driven one coz I don’t imagine it would attract peak views . I’ve always thought it would be a great permanent spot v a traditional rival say COLL , do some cut price value seating packages to really gun for a bumper crowd ea time bit of a retro feels about it
Absolutely corporate driven 100%.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Great rant, craig, and for an even better one on the subject, check out RoCo's on last night's Footyology podcast. Gives Eddie from Toorak and the old boy network a right whack.

Third Ring

Richmond is...
Oct 3, 2003
Healy on the couch last night pointed out how bad it was he couldn’t watch 2 good games because they were on the same time...so he outlined how it could be done with no overlap of games and thought it was a really great idea...tool!

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Healy on the couch last night pointed out how bad it was he couldn’t watch 2 good games because they were on the same time...so he outlined how it could be done with no overlap of games and thought it was a really great idea...tool!

He also only had 8 games lol...

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Sorry guys, the kids just have to suck it up. I don't want the quarters shortened just because little Johnny and Jessica need to go to bed.

How about the advertisers suck it up and we don't get an eternity between goals. At this rate if the AFL gets the sort of scores they want then 20 minute quarters will last about 40 minute. Then again, would give them an excuse to shorten the quarters.

If they shorten the game then don't be surprised if the games still end just as late at night. Why? Because what they will likely do is extend the quarter, half and three quarter time breaks so they can add in more crap and more ads in the breaks. Believe me, asking for shorter quarters will not deliver earlier finish times and the games will continue to start in prime time for TV because that is where the money is.

Yes, the game has to be paid for, but they do run the risk of killing the goose that laid the golden egg. Crowd numbers are evidence that they are trying to make the goose sick already.

DS

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
the 50 second gap between goals is appalling. its as bad as the "tv time-outs" they have in USA sports.

Sorry guys, the kids just have to suck it up. I don't want the quarters shortened just because little Johnny and Jessica need to go to bed.

Thats not the only reason, and you know it.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
the 50 second gap between goals is appalling. its as bad as the "tv time-outs" they have in USA sports.

The introduction of the 50 sec break was quite insidious - at least I don’t recall any prior discussion of the issue before it basically just landed.
That’s generally a minimum of 5 minutes per game - and that’s 5 dead wasted minutes particularly for those at the grounds who obviously will get home later

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s funny, so called experts keep talking about throwing the ball up quicker around the ground and throwing it in from the boundary quicker in order to move the game on, but meanwhile the slowest bounce/throw up situation is the one after a goal where the umpire stands around endlessly in the centre of the ground waiting for a green light to tell them the tv ads have finished. Infuriating.

But you you don’t hear the media sycophants mention this too often. One or two have the guts, but not many.

You wanna shorten the games, start looking at the time the tv ads add to it first.

Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The 50secs is a result of the low scoring. The AFL had promised the networks they would increase scoring so there'd be more add breaks. After successfully implementing 6-6-6 and removing any barrier from a kick-out after a point, moves that were guaranteed to increase scoring, the scores dropped even lower so they increased the Ad time between goals to 50 secs.

Now scoring seems to have increased but we're still at 50secs between goals. I wonder what will change, the length of quarters or the length of the ad break between goals.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
It’s funny, so called experts keep talking about throwing the ball up quicker around the ground and throwing it in from the boundary quicker in order to move the game on, but meanwhile the slowest bounce/throw up situation is the one after a goal where the umpire stands around endlessly in the centre of the ground waiting for a green light to tell them the tv ads have finished. Infuriating.

But you you don’t hear the media sycophants mention this too often. One or two have the guts, but not many.

You wanna shorten the games, start looking at the time the tv ads add to it first.
Yep, throw it up quickly at around the ground ball ups and after a goal would save minutes. Then reduce the 30 second time clock where players are just watching the countdown clock to give the on ballers a rest and we,ll save even more.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The 50secs is a result of the low scoring. The AFL had promised the networks they would increase scoring so there'd be more add breaks. After successfully implementing 6-6-6 and removing any barrier from a kick-out after a point, moves that were guaranteed to increase scoring, the scores dropped even lower so they increased the Ad time between goals to 50 secs.

Now scoring seems to have increased but we're still at 50secs between goals. I wonder what will change, the length of quarters or the length of the ad break between goals.

at what point do you reach where the AFL stands up to broadcasters and tells them enough is enough? Or is there no line when it comes to the AFL?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
at what point do you reach where the AFL stands up to broadcasters and tells them enough is enough? Or is there no line when it comes to the AFL?

The AFL will reach that point when the broadcasters refuse to pay more. If there is money in it, the AFL will keep the media happy.

Though in this case I don't blame the media. During the Hocking reign we've seen the scoring get down to historical (hysterical?) low levels. Every move Hocking made to increase scoring had the opposite effect. The networks were losing real money because they couldn't get the ads to air.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yep, throw it up quickly at around the ground ball ups and after a goal would save minutes. Then reduce the 30 second time clock where players are just watching the countdown clock to give the on ballers a rest and we,ll save even more.
Its not simply the length of quarters it si the reasons the clock stops. Why does the clock run when someone is on a set shot for goal but not at a stoppage?

eg Just don't blow time off for routine out of bounds or ball ups
(and if you think teams will milk that then in last quarter once time on is reached clock stops. Though it is very hard now to manufacture a ball up - sit on the ball and you can get pinged, try to take a ball out of bounds risk a DOOB)

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
this is one of my arguments for changing to 18 minute quarters and shorter break times. night games will finish earlier, which makes it better for families.

good point. this Saturday arvo we have Carlton v Hawthorn and Geelong v Gold Coast. Not exactly blockbusters. When was the last time there was a genuine blockbuster (2 top teams in front of a near sellout on a Saturday afternoon?)

Our friend Kane Cornes touched on this a few weeks ago. He said games should not be played concurrently anymore. There are only 2 ways you can do this:
1. Shorten games.
2. Keep Saturday afternoon.

Eg. If games were 18 minutes quarters and breaks shortened, you could do something like this:
Game 1: Thursday 7:15pm
Game 2: Friday 7:15pm
Game 3: Friday 9:30pm (from Perth)
Game 4: Saturday 12:30pm
Game 5: Saturday 2:45pm
Game 6: Saturday 5:00pm
Game 7: Saturday 7:15pm
Game 8: Sunday 2:45pm
Game 9: Sunday 5:00pm

Sidenote: If you wanted to make Thursdays permanent, it would be easier to minimise 5-6 day breaks by cutting 1 Sunday game and having 2 Friday night games.
I have always wondered why given how big Friday nights are (meant to be for ratings etc) why they don't do two games (as NRL does)

A Perth game that is on TV here at 7.30 starts at 5.30 there - given all the grief about getting to a week night game in Melb how about being a WA fan? So a 9.30 EST = 7.30 there.

Not sure the no overlap is called on for anyone other than people who are paid to watch footy ie Gerard/ Gerald. even if I am watching Lions v Dogs, I can easily forgo one quarter of Giants v Cats (in fact I wouldn't watch much of either, my footy viewing is 80% tigers)

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Its not simply the length of quarters it si the reasons the clock stops. Why does the clock run when someone is on a set shot for goal but not at a stoppage?

If quarters stayed at 20 minutes, i would support letting the timeclock roll for 3-5 seconds for every stoppage. There is roughly 60 stoppages per game, so that would save 3-5 minutes.

I have always wondered why given how big Friday nights are (meant to be for ratings etc) why they don't do two games (as NRL does)

A Perth game that is on TV here at 7.30 starts at 5.30 there - given all the grief about getting to a week night game in Melb how about being a WA fan? So a 9.30 EST = 7.30 there.

Not sure the no overlap is called on for anyone other than people who are paid to watch footy ie Gerard/ Gerald. even if I am watching Lions v Dogs, I can easily forgo one quarter of Giants v Cats (in fact I wouldn't watch much of either, my footy viewing is 80% tigers)

As per my post on page 2, if you shortened quarters to 18 minutes and shortened breaks (reducing the running time of a game from 2:35 to 2:10), you could then run 2 games comfortably on friday night without any overlap.

Last edited: