Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

Basically our cupboard is bare. If he can't get a game now I'd say his papers are stamped.
Feels that way, he really should be in now. Another wasted first-round pick. Has no skill that is elite at AFL level. Makes it hard to make it.

Reactions: 1 users
Really interesting what's going on with the player. Is he like his brother who belts them up in the VFL but is out of his depth in the big leagues? Seems a good takeaway clearance player at VFL level but is that his standard?
He is okay at VFL, hardly dominating like his brother. To me it seems like he is trying to play the powerful mid role, getting the ball in close and using power and speed to get through traffic. This probably worked okay in juniors but he has neither power or genuine speed for AFL. At best he is light weight flanker

He has elite agility. He has BWA. Can win a clearance. Slight but slowly filling out. Can't kick.

Its looking increasingly grim for Dow considering right now that he is behind Ross and Sonz who are behind Taranto Hopper Presta Bolton Cotchin, Graham, Pickett, Baker and Martin.

Reactions: 1 user
His agility is very good, can win clearances and very good handball er , I’d be playing Dow well ahead of mrj

• Haha
His agility is very good, can win clearances and very good handball er , I’d be playing Dow well ahead of mrj
Well he is the only one suited to the current game plan. Time for one last look.

Well he is the only one suited to the current game plan. Time for one last look.
Must play Dow keep playing them till we find out who can and wants to play
As for a game plan not sure they know what it is

Another who looks good in the 2s but not good enough for seniors. No harm in giving him a game if he takes Cotchins spot. If he replaces a youngster not worth it

It's damning that Sonsie's been promoted ahead of him despite poor form in the seniors. Dow's good by hand but not by foot, and that's terminal in today's game. Dimma knows it.

Dow cant kick thats why he's been nexted by Sonzie and Clarke as they can both kick.

As can Seth and Smith but we wont likely be seeing them for a fair while.

Despite the soft cap restrictions, surely we have some coaches who could teach kicking?

While they're at it, they can teach the rest of the team too.

Time to get back to some basic skills coaching, and don't accept lackadasical efforts at training, drill it into the players, extra kicking sessions every week. We're not going to turn the list over in 1 year, we need the current players to be practising good skills.

That said, Dow has been very good in the VFL, time to try him out.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
It's damning that Sonsie's been promoted ahead of him despite poor form in the seniors. Dow's good by hand but not by foot, and that's terminal in today's game. Dimma knows it.
Who does Hardwick blame?
1st round pick on a kid that can't kick let alone use 2 feet like the old days of recruiting.

Reactions: 2 users
I put Dow in the Martyn bucket. Both seem to have had pretty good form in the ressies but not promoted during times of injury which makes me think the coaches dont think they are up to it.

I suspect Dow will be gone once his current contract ends. A pick at around the 20 mark in weak draft. I dont think he will make it

Can win his share of clearances, if he's not getting a game because of his kicking, he's got a lot of mates.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thomson Dow (28 disposals, 16 contested possessions, 11 clearances, five inside-50s)

"Was absolutely outstanding on the weekend, leading the way with 11 clearances. He was a big reason as to why we were able to win the clearance battle despite being beaten in hit-outs."

Reactions: 2 users