Tiger AAs 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger AAs 2020

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Are there 22 Ryan's that could have been picked? Would make it easier and avoid all the angst. AA is just like any other player based award, it all comes down to opinion. There's only a right or wrong based on your own opinion. So good luck to those who made it but I don't put much credence into it, a lot of excellent players miss out in a squad of 22.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Under your argument Zach Merrett should have made it because he finished 8th. And Parker, Pendlebury, Wines, Menagola, Whitford, Fyfe and Lyons who were all top 20. So 8 of the top 20 didn't make teeam - not much of a stretch to say 9 or 10 of the top 20 should have missed.

I think what he's saying is if the coaches have voted particular players top 20 then there's an argument for their AA selection. Obviously all the players you mentioned can't be included as they're majority midfielder and it's not an AA midfield side, it's a whole team. Midfielder are generally your best players by numbers so is, why they dominate coaches awards.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
I think what he's saying is if the coaches have voted particular players top 20 then there's an argument for their AA selection. Obviously all the players you mentioned can't be included as they're majority midfielder and it's not an AA midfield side, it's a whole team. Midfielder are generally your best players by numbers so is, why they dominate coaches awards.
Hmm, the final team looked like an AA midfield side to me...

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Hmm, the final team looked like an AA midfield side to me...
Yep. Like just about everything else in the AFL awards it's almost all about the star mids. Bung in a ruck, couple of KPP players each end n then the 17 best mids of the comp , "Viola " there you have an AA team. No need for bloody flankers, wings n pockets, superstar mids can do those jobs with their eyes closed.

• Haha

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Cornes just did his own AA team. Has Dusty in a forward pocket and Floss on the bench with the likes of Caleb Daniel in the backline. Clueless.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
You shouldn't be picked according to your usual standards, you should be picked in comparison to other players in the league. If Dusty isn't the best 22 in the league then I'll go he. Here are the stats between Danger the AA captain and Dusty this year. Disposal wise the difference per game is how many more frees Dangerfield gets.

Stats

I agree he hasn't had the season of last year, not many players have but he' still easily best 22 and it would have been a great shock to see him miss out.

Statistically you can't split 'em. I'd argue Dusty has it over Danger in his timing, ie stepping up when it matters, which is no small thing, in fact its bloody huge. Danger tries, but Dusty just does it. Danger is a superstar, a walk-up start in the AA, but so is Dusty, and the fact Dusty is questioned but Danger isn't, even by some on here, is just plain wrong.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I thought this year was a poor year for ruckmen across the league, yet the selectors went for 2.

Nicknat making the team was debatable, but Gawn was Bradbury like for mine. He finished 5th in their B+F on an inconsistent team. Doesn't sound like an AA deserving season to me.

Reactions: 2 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I thought this year was a poor year for ruckmen across the league, yet the selectors went for 2.

Nicknat making the team was debatable, but Gawn was Bradbury like for mine. He finished 5th in their B+F on an inconsistent team. Doesn't sound like an AA deserving season to me.

Yeah probably gets the Corey Enright award.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Why isn't Fyfe in the side? Been Dustied '19 IMO. Bit down by his own standards. Thought it may have been because he missed a few, but played 14 games, came 19th in coaches votes.

Have McRae, Steel, Adams, Daniel, Guthrie, Byrne-Jones had more impact this season? Would any AFL coach pick any of these players over Fyfe? (based on jjust this season or combined with whole career), in a side they were coaching? Be honest...

The three best players in the comp are still Dusty/ Danger/ Fyfe IMO. Except for Danger, so far at least, I reckon selectors might look for reasons not to pick them.

Last edited:

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Byrne Jones over Vlastuin is ridiculous of you go by the criteria that Jakovich spouted IE: a consistent performance over some seasons.
The Hyphen was only good this year, whereas Vloss has been consitantly good over the last 4 years at least.
Imo that argument doesn't cut it.
These AA selectors are like many of the AFLs decisions, they make it up as they go along, consistency is not their strong point.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Need to watch Caleb Daniel to appreciate how good he is. Gets the Bulldogs out of trouble time and again. OK he doesn't crash packs or kick the ball 60m, but he's a great decision-maker and very clean, always looking to create rather than just relieve the pressure. Had him above all of the back pockets and flanks. A bit like Shane Edwards when he had a stint there last year, with extra clean albeit less creativity.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Need to watch Caleb Daniel to appreciate how good he is. Gets the Bulldogs out of trouble time and again. OK he doesn't crash packs or kick the ball 60m, but he's a great decision-maker and very clean, always looking to create rather than just relieve the pressure. Had him above all of the back pockets and flanks. A bit like Shane Edwards when he had a stint there last year, with extra clean albeit less creativity.

yep, he's a damn good player.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Yep I had no qualms with him being in the side. He should have been the HBF for mine.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Best player in the league by class per centimetre.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If Dusty and Dangers stats are the same then Dusty is miles in front. One thing that sets Dusty apart is his team play. He's always looking for someone in a better position to finish off.

Danget, and Fyfe, are more than likely to do things on their own.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If Dusty and Dangers stats are the same then Dusty is miles in front. One thing that sets Dusty apart is his team play. He's always looking for someone in a better position to finish off.

Danget, and Fyfe, are more than likely to do things on their own.

Dusty's amazing long torpedo kicks and killer instinct in front of goal easily sets him apart from those two as well. He's totally unpredictable.

Reactions: 1 user