Tiger AAs 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger AAs 2020

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I wish dusty wasn’t selected. Embarrassing to be part of that. Hayne has been exposed as a poor defender this year, just reads the play well. Ryan is Jason Cloke as pointed out by Ltrtr. Don’t know who hyphen is. Shepphard another b grader.

just need to win our finals by 40 odd points again and have everyone scratching their heads again.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Luke Ryan would not be on our list.

LOL AA arse chickens.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I wish dusty wasn’t selected. Embarrassing to be part of that. Hayne has been exposed as a poor defender this year, just reads the play well. Ryan is Jason Cloke as pointed out by Ltrtr. Don’t know who hyphen is. Shepphard another b grader.

just need to win our finals by 40 odd points again and have everyone scratching their heads again.

I thought Haynes was better last year. He has Vlastuin covered on stats, but then Brisbane have us covered on stats.

Looking at the AFLCA votes, I'm not so sure Sheppard deserves his place. Many were unhappy when he missed last year, and I could've had him in the team ahead of Houli. He's polled 4, 1, 1 this year - fewer than Hurn, Barrass and McGovern, and finished equal 200th. Even Jackson Nelson polled a 2. It's a bit bemusing when his own coach rates him so low.

Reckon Grimes and Vlastuin's hopes were scuttled by the staging talk from the likes of Kornes and other media. They became unselectable.

Anyway, onward to the real business!

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Looking forward to listening to Dimma when he is inevitably asked the question as to lack of tigers in AA. Will be diplomatic. Talk about how there are so many fantastic players in the AFL. Hopefully adds that he wouldn’t swap his players for any of the AA.

Reactions: 1 user

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Too much bad boy talk for any RFC AA... would need the league to do too much explaining.... and they can rarely justify many AA choices as is.... so will be path of least resistance as usual
Picked it like a dirty nose

rensman

interpreter to the stars...
May 6, 2004
North Eastern Victoria
i wish we had no players selected in this plastic team. would be brilliant to continue to confound everyone. how do we win a flag with NO AA players and miserable stats every week? nothing like this has been seen ever. ppl can't explain why we are so good. a bunch of rookie listers and lack of talent compared to the dynasty teams and yet there's a very real chance this team could become known as the best ever. Stick it to em!

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Good individual players = All Australian

Great team players = Premiership

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Almost as though people only see what they want to see through the lens of their support for a team, hey? :peepwall

As always with the AA team, the one thing you can back with certainty is the reactions to it will be over the top. Grimes and Vlastuin are terribly unlucky but there isn't a player in that team that hasn't had a very good year of footy.

What I really dislike is the way the selectors take the soft out and run midfielders into other positions. I think AA selection should be restricted to the position you play the majority of the season and it should be listed in the nominations. I also think clubs should nominate their own players in those positions for the initial squad.

As always though, it's a great talking point.

Agree, sticking Dusty in the pocket is an insult really. If there were better mids in the H&A season (and there were) then just leave him out. I don't watch enough other games to have a strong opinion - we always think our own players are better. That's natural, but not very scientific.

The AA team is part of the media cycle. They put it in the break between H&A and the finals for a reason - keeps football in the news.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
we always think our own players are better. That's natural, but not very scientific.
Agree. They should look at premierships? Periods of dominance in big games? Finals performances? Bodies of work?

Nah, supercoach is a better measure. Just ask Fagan.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Agree. They should look at premierships? Periods of dominance in big games? Finals performances? Bodies of work?

Don't know and don't really care tbh. Happy with winning finals and flags though.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004

They hand out rising start nominations based on periods of good games. If you were picking a side like the school days & you had Grimes & Vlaustin standing & Ryan & Haynes Byrne Jones etc, i know who i would be picking.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Agree, sticking Dusty in the pocket is an insult really. If there were better mids in the H&A season (and there were) then just leave him out. I don't watch enough other games to have a strong opinion - we always think our own players are better. That's natural, but not very scientific.

The AA team is part of the media cycle. They put it in the break between H&A and the finals for a reason - keeps football in the news.

Thats a cop out. This is meant to be an elite competition, yet there is so much half-baked incompetent management. Essendon Drugs, Jordon de Goey, the standard of umpriing, and the AA squad selection.

On the one hand we can say stuff these incompetent fools and we'll win their elite comp in spite of amateur at best administration and management, and we do say that, we have to, But on the other hand, it should be better. These things go on the public record, contracts are effected, legacies are effected.

I'd like the coaches to pick the side. These ex-player media heads are hopeless.

edit* The AFL has done a decent job of managing the comp during covid, but my inner cynic would say they can get their *smile* together when the money is at stake.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dusty started the year slow, at times looked a bit hampered, maybe a twinge.

So, yes, not the best mid in the H&A season.

If they were to put him in the AA side then forward pocket is a bit of a joke, he plays mid and forward (often one out maybe even full forward). Forward pocket is really for the small forwards, not the mid/forward.

I agree that they need to pick a team which can play a game, which means having players for all positions. When was the last time they actually included a winger on the wing?

DS

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Dusty was rated the best mid-forward this season according to the AFL Player Ratings so he deserved his spot there (at HFF though).

• Wow

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Almost as though people only see what they want to see through the lens of their support for a team, hey? :peepwall

As always with the AA team, the one thing you can back with certainty is the reactions to it will be over the top. Grimes and Vlastuin are terribly unlucky but there isn't a player in that team that hasn't had a very good year of footy.

What I really dislike is the way the selectors take the soft out and run midfielders into other positions. I think AA selection should be restricted to the position you play the majority of the season and it should be listed in the nominations. I also think clubs should nominate their own players in those positions for the initial squad.

As always though, it's a great talking point.
I wouldn’t for a second think I could select a more deserving team, however I don’t remember so much angst towards so many of the players, yep there’s always a couple of contentious ones , ive got a feel there’s going to be a bit of an overhaul re the selection of the comitee, thing most of us look past is it’s not or shouldn’t be about previous years it’s all about who was the best in their positions in 2020.

Anything SHocking is involved with seems to upset people

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Thats a cop out. This is meant to be an elite competition, yet there is so much half-baked incompetent management. Essendon Drugs, Jordon de Goey, the standard of umpriing, and the AA squad selection.

On the one hand we can say stuff these incompetent fools and we'll win their elite comp in spite of amateur at best administration and management, and we do say that, we have to, But on the other hand, it should be better. These things go on the public record, contracts are effected, legacies are effected.

I'd like the coaches to pick the side. These ex-player media heads are hopeless.

edit* The AFL has done a decent job of managing the comp during covid, but my inner cynic would say they can get their *smile* together when the money is at stake.
Terrific post. Listening to Jakovich it was embarrassing. What qualifies these people to select the side? Did he watch every game? Closely? What was his gambit in relation to selection?

And Hocking? Gil? How many hours of games and tapes did they pour over? There is little doubt in my mind they would get a lot of info from the AFL stats data. Which has inherent biases. Did they all judge on the same set of criteria?

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
And legacies is a great word. I'm sure Flossy would love it to have an AA on his CV. I imagine their is a financial as well as status benefit. Easy for us to say it doesn't matter but in 30 years time I'm sure it would be something to be proud of.