Tiger AAs 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger AAs 2020

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The coaches are an absolute joke.

They had Naitanui as the 7th best player in the league this season and he is probably amongst the worst ruckman ever to play the game. Absolute joke he made the AA team.

They had Cam Guthrie as the 9th best player and he is an absolute dud. Wouldn't be in Geelong's best 10 players let alone the AA team. Absolute joke.

They had Dangerfield 11th in the comp and having a better season than Dustin Martin. Absolute joke.

I don't even know who Liam Ryan is but they had him at 17. That must just be because they want to be given travel exemptions to WA after the season. Absolute joke.

I noticed some weeks this year there were as many as 16 coaches who didn't give Tigers players votes at all. Absolute joke.

Now you are getting the hang of it

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

They had Naitanui as the 7th best player in the league this season and he is probably amongst the worst ruckman ever to play the game. Absolute joke he made the AA team.

They had Cam Guthrie as the 9th best player and he is an absolute dud. Wouldn't be in Geelong's best 10 players let alone the AA team. Absolute joke.

They had Dangerfield 11th in the comp and having a better season than Dustin Martin. Absolute joke.

I don't even know who Liam Ryan is but they had him at 17. That must just be because they want to be given travel exemptions to WA after the season. Absolute joke.

I noticed some weeks this year there were as many as 16 coaches who didn't give Tigers players votes at all. Absolute joke.
Are you joking :mhihi :rotfl1:rotfl2

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014

Really doubt we can take this seriously ... or have you lost sight in one of your eyes today? Suddenly biased outlook. o_O

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
If it were any other team other than Richmond there would be an outcry that a team as successful as they have been of late only has 1 AA for the year. Even for a top 3 side on that alone you would think should have more than 1 player, either way I hope it is one of other contributing factors to spur the team on to prove everyone wrong. Dusty and co is proving finals performance is all that counts, all the regular season accolades such as Brownlows, Colemans, AA, etc pale to insignificance. Rfc is a champion team and demonstrates its not reliant on numbers or individual brilliance, rather a level contribution of 18 players on the ground.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Needs work. PM me, I’ll help ya :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Dimma gave it to Richo square between the eyes on the member zoom ... even a bit of theatrical table thumping

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Only one way to pay back the haters, on the scoreboard. Nothing else matters.

• Love

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Was surprised to see Dusty made the side, as I don't think he's had that great a season. Compared to his usual standards.

Happy to see that we had a few players in the initial AA squad and the same with the U/22 squad, shows generation next is coming along nicely.

Much much happier to see that we're back in the top four n looking to chase hard for a back to back flag. Experts n nuffers can dribble over the fancy stats gatherers n pretty footballers. Dimma's built a genuine team of hard arsed finals footballers n I'll have that every day over fluff n fantasies.

Reactions: 4 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Reckon Grimes and Vlastuin's hopes were scuttled by the staging talk from the likes of Kornes and other media. They became unselectable.

Anyway, onward to the real business!

Reviewing it again, I think this is a real factor.

Then you look at the panel composition: The All-Australian team is chosen by a panel comprising of AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Steve Hocking, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.

Why are both Gil and SHocking on? Maybe one needs to be there as impartial chairman (?) but both, no? Hasn't Gil got far more major things to supervise?
Then there's KB who led the charge on Chopstickgate with his 1930s moral worldview. Darcy, with football knowledge as deep as his commentary (but 3 x Dogs in). Jacovich (WA representation), Ling no doubt his weighty opinions endorsed by SH and Gil )so 3 x Moggs) Tredders for PA reps, Johnson for Lions.
There's Richo but he is hardly steadfast in his stance on our players, unfortunately quite cringe-worthy and unduly compliant to others, almost apologetic.

Can't help but think the petty moral judgments of SHocking and GM were a significant factor in excluding our nominated players. We have 'disgraced' the AFL in their eyes, so instead include a wider spread of players from improving clubs rather than our recognized top defenders.

I care far more for the judgments of my fellow RFC supporters such as the many astute followers on PRE. C'est la vie.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
It's taken me this long to recover from Dylan's omission. A crime against football.

Maybe next year for you too Nick.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Was surprised to see Dusty made the side, as I don't think he's had that great a season. Compared to his usual standards.

You shouldn't be picked according to your usual standards, you should be picked in comparison to other players in the league. If Dusty isn't the best 22 in the league then I'll go he. Here are the stats between Danger the AA captain and Dusty this year. Disposal wise the difference per game is how many more frees Dangerfield gets.

Stats

I agree he hasn't had the season of last year, not many players have but he' still easily best 22 and it would have been a great shock to see him miss out.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Caro today on 3aw mentioned to Peggy 'do you think the AFL dosent like Richmond being so good?"
"Alot of people have the same opinion to Mick Molloy that they all hate us".
Peggy was brilliant with her answers.
Only caught the back end of the interview, when Tim Lane was still going on about Big V and Short slapping Chol.

Peggy said she will stand down after 2 years.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
They can shove this AA team(apart from Dusty) up their arse.
i prefer 22 premiership players than 2,3 or 4 in the farcical AA team

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I remember in the old days when would celebrate a Joel Bowden or a Brett Deledio winning AA.

Oh the celebrations.

Was that when we were flipping over cars in Swan street or am I thinking of something else?

• Haha

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I remember in the old days when would celebrate a Joel Bowden or a Brett Deledio winning AA.

Oh the celebrations.

Was that when we were flipping over cars in Swan street or am I thinking of something else?
flea making the Vic side was a big highlight. Tough times

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The thing is though, most of the angst is completely misguided, which is what I was getting at with my tongue in cheek post.

There's some legitimate criticism of aspects of the side and players left out but there's also a heap of people throwing stones at players they just aren't that familiar with, or high profile players they don't like (like other supporters with Dustin).

Ryan, Guthrie and Byrne-Jones are examples of the former and Naitanui and Dangerfield the latter.

If you paid attention to Freo's games this year, Ryan was as good a defensive and attacking player as anyone. He was like Astbury and Grimes combined, stopped his opponent scoring and won the ball back himself. He would have been the first name in the backline and rightly so. But no-one watches Freo and no-one pays attention to their anonymous key defenders so the easy thing is to say he's no good.

Guthrie is like Lambert over the last few years. No frills, but hugely effective and dependable. The coaches, who I think everyone agrees have a reasonable handle on the game, had him in the top 10 players in the competition in their award. He's had a great year.

I wouldn't have had Byrne-Jones in but the criticism of him has been way over the top. He's had a very good year of footy, despite the chorus of dud and joke at his selection. I'll put it this way, Byrne-Jones plays the same role as Liam Baker and produced a very similar season statistically, but slightly better. He will never win a hardness competition with Baker but neither will most people and he still plays effective footy. So if you think Baker had a very good year (and I don't know anyone who doesn't) then you think Byrne-Jones had a slightly better year. If Baker had been in I don't think we'd be calling it a joke.

The stuff about Naitanui and Dangerfield is just complete nonsense. 7th and 11th in the coaches award, and daylight to any other ruckman. As much as I respect Nankervis, if Naitanui played for us for the past 4 years we wouldn't have lost a quarter, let alone a game. His impact on clean clearance is extraordinary. Dangerfield is an unlikeable bloke but he is an absolute superstar. And he has had a very good season again and thoroughly deserves a place in the team, although I think it should have been on the bench.
Different argument , however nothing has changed my opinion this season on Nic Nat , think his great for the game and way better judges then me rate him a Superstar , I don’t, great highlights , and as you say TBR great clearence work, pretty ordinary around the ground Where other top rucks excel, I’d take a few rucks before him week in week out, but it doesn’t matter if I make a wrong pick :mhihi . He has been on their list for 12 seasons and they won thier only flag in that time with out him In the team.

From what I saw I’d have had Freo Ryan in the 22, really good year considering his key back teammates were out , the west coast Ryan I wouldn’t have picked, think he timed his run well and was in super form as the team was picked.

No issue with Dangerfield been in for me, wouldn’t say I’d give him the captaincy , not that It matters in any way I just couldn’t put him in the class of a multi AA like he is , lot of footballer who I’d say have had better careers then Dangerfield yet his got manly more AA titles.

Sadly I’m not passionate enough about it to let me lose any sleep :))

I maybe wrong but I can’t remember such criticism aimed at the selectors from Ex players

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Caro today on 3aw mentioned to Peggy 'do you think the AFL dosent like Richmond being so good?"
"Alot of people have the same opinion to Mick Molloy that they all hate us".

Don’t get me started on the Tony Lockett and Maxfield to Sydney deals.
AFL is corrupt as hell

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The thing is though, most of the angst is completely misguided, which is what I was getting at with my tongue in cheek post.

There's some legitimate criticism of aspects of the side and players left out but there's also a heap of people throwing stones at players they just aren't that familiar with, or high profile players they don't like (like other supporters with Dustin).

Ryan, Guthrie and Byrne-Jones are examples of the former and Naitanui and Dangerfield the latter.

If you paid attention to Freo's games this year, Ryan was as good a defensive and attacking player as anyone. He was like Astbury and Grimes combined, stopped his opponent scoring and won the ball back himself. He would have been the first name in the backline and rightly so. But no-one watches Freo and no-one pays attention to their anonymous key defenders so the easy thing is to say he's no good.

Guthrie is like Lambert over the last few years. No frills, but hugely effective and dependable. The coaches, who I think everyone agrees have a reasonable handle on the game, had him in the top 10 players in the competition in their award. He's had a great year.

I wouldn't have had Byrne-Jones in but the criticism of him has been way over the top. He's had a very good year of footy, despite the chorus of dud and joke at his selection. I'll put it this way, Byrne-Jones plays the same role as Liam Baker and produced a very similar season statistically, but slightly better. He will never win a hardness competition with Baker but neither will most people and he still plays effective footy. So if you think Baker had a very good year (and I don't know anyone who doesn't) then you think Byrne-Jones had a slightly better year. If Baker had been in I don't think we'd be calling it a joke.

The stuff about Naitanui and Dangerfield is just complete nonsense. 7th and 11th in the coaches award, and daylight to any other ruckman. As much as I respect Nankervis, if Naitanui played for us for the past 4 years we wouldn't have lost a quarter, let alone a game. His impact on clean clearance is extraordinary. Dangerfield is an unlikeable bloke but he is an absolute superstar. And he has had a very good season again and thoroughly deserves a place in the team, although I think it should have been on the bench.

Under your argument Zach Merrett should have made it because he finished 8th. And Parker, Pendlebury, Wines, Menagola, Whitford, Fyfe and Lyons who were all top 20. So 8 of the top 20 didn't make teeam - not much of a stretch to say 9 or 10 of the top 20 should have missed.