Trade talk 2019/20 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade talk 2019/20

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
The pies are screaming for a key fwd. reckon they'd be chasing hogan seeing that they missed out on cameron
Fits their no only dickheads policy. ... will feel right at home with Stevo, Cox and DeGoey!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Remember the hype the Jesse Hogan first had at the Demons?
Another wasted talent.

When he beat Rance that night at the G, he was properly the best kid in the comp.
5 years later, he would struggle at Frankston.
I always thought he didn't or wasn't prepared to work hard to play the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Went he beat Rance that night at the G, he was properly the best kid in the comp.
5 years later, he would struggle at Frankston.
I always thought he didn't or wasn't prepared to work hard to play the game.
Kid has had a lot to overcome that would test many of us.
**I mean when I lost my dad young I went off the rails, had a lot of stuff to deal with , just trying to ‘live’. **

BUT at the end of the day it comes down to the ‘individual’ to want too & to get back up and in Jesse Hogan’s case make the most of the ‘talent he has’.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Kid has had a lot to overcome that would test many of us.
**I mean when I lost my dad young I went off the rails, had a lot of stuff to deal with , just trying to ‘live’. **

BUT at the end of the day it comes down to the ‘individual’ to want too & to get back up and in Jesse Hogan’s case make the most of the ‘talent he has’.

Ive never was talking about things outside football.
He doesn't look like, he puts in 100% when it comes to the footy clubs he has been at.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Ive never was talking about things outside football.
He doesn't look like, he puts in 100% when it comes to the footy clubs he has been at.
Understand.
Just wonder how much these things have affected him.
I guess I’m also being a little sympathetic that’s all.

And Zips not having a go at you.
Just being measured.

Not sure anyone may take him on.. maybe.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Exactly right.

If I hear one more person say 'Hawthorn only got pick 19 for Buddy' I'll go all Terry Wallace.

They won the premiership that year so it was the pick after their first pick. It was literally the highest pick they could possibly get. If they were bottom of the ladder, they would have got pick 2 for Buddy. That's how the draft works, where you finish on the ladder dictates your picks but no-one seems to understand that with the compo picks for some reason.
Exactly BR
That’s how it works.

Determined where you finish.

Last edited:

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Going a bit against the grain here. :help

The way Geelong is managing its list is interesting. No one said there is only one way to do it.

I'll put a caveat on this right away: if they don't put games into at least some of their promising youngsters, then it could all go pear-shaped. More on that in a sec.

Geelong is a different proposition to a lot of clubs. Being based out of town, yet in the state that is the home of football, makes it an enticing destination for an awful lot of players. Isaac Smith made the point that he chose Geelong over Melbourne for 'lifestyle reasons'.

I don't think there will ever be a shortage of high quality 30-year-olds who are jaded by Melbourne city living and crave the different pace of the Corio area.

They nearly won a grand final with one of the oldest lists ever. Not much more needs to go right before they snag a flag with this strategy.

I always hated what Melbourne did circa the tanking episode. Losing games breeds a loser's culture. I think you must always strive to win. Geelong has been winning for more than a decade and was just one good half of footy away from franking the strategy.

I reckon the beauty of this approach is they can bring in good eggs. Blokes who've been around the traps, and are known to be quality people, not to mention high-calibre footballers. No great risk in that.

So what about taking the next step?

The likes of Narkle, Cockatoo and Clarke have proven they are good players. The older imports can set the expected standards, while the kids provide the side with the legs to go with the younger teams for the full 120 minutes. They must be played ... it was the missing link this season.

I'm not declaring it a success ... yet. But if it bears fruit in the next year or two, expect more clubs to go down this path.

Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

The way Geelong is managing its list is interesting. No one said there is only one way to do it.

I'll put a caveat on this right away: if they don't put games into at least some of their promising youngsters, then it could all go pear-shaped. More on that in a sec.

Geelong is a different proposition to a lot of clubs. Being based out of town, yet in the state that is the home of football, makes it an enticing destination for an awful lot of players. Isaac Smith made the point that he chose Geelong over Melbourne for 'lifestyle reasons'.

I don't think there will ever be a shortage of high quality 30-year-olds who are jaded by Melbourne city living and crave the different pace of the Corio area.

They nearly won a grand final with one of the oldest lists ever. Not much more needs to go right before they snag a flag with this strategy.

I always hated what Melbourne did circa the tanking episode. Losing games breeds a loser's culture. I think you must always strive to win. Geelong has been winning for more than a decade and was just one good half of footy away from franking the strategy.

I reckon the beauty of this approach is they can bring in good eggs. Blokes who've been around the traps, and are known to be quality people, not to mention high-calibre footballers. No great risk in that.

The likes of Narkle, Cockatoo and Clarke have proven they are good players. The older imports can set the expected standards, while the kids provide the side with the legs to go with the younger teams for the full 120 minutes. They must be played ... it was the missing link this season.

I'm not declaring it a success ... yet. But if it bears fruit in the next year or two, expect more clubs to go down this path.
I think about how we might react if our club did the same. I reckon that legitimately the reaction would be that we should be getting games into Ross, RCD, etc etc rather than keeping them out of the team by recruiting older players.
This is what I don't understand. Players like Constable, Clark, Ratugolea, Narkle, Atkins, Close and maybe others would be thinking they need to go elsewhere because they aren't rated highly. Maybe that's the truth, perhaps Geelong don't rate their young players?

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012

The concern for the Cats is that all three of the young guys you mentioned are a chance to leave during trade period!