Trade talk 2019/20 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade talk 2019/20

Going a bit against the grain here. :help

The way Geelong is managing its list is interesting. No one said there is only one way to do it.

I'll put a caveat on this right away: if they don't put games into at least some of their promising youngsters, then it could all go pear-shaped. More on that in a sec.

Geelong is a different proposition to a lot of clubs. Being based out of town, yet in the state that is the home of football, makes it an enticing destination for an awful lot of players. Isaac Smith made the point that he chose Geelong over Melbourne for 'lifestyle reasons'.

I don't think there will ever be a shortage of high quality 30-year-olds who are jaded by Melbourne city living and crave the different pace of the Corio area.

They nearly won a grand final with one of the oldest lists ever. Not much more needs to go right before they snag a flag with this strategy.

I always hated what Melbourne did circa the tanking episode. Losing games breeds a loser's culture. I think you must always strive to win. Geelong has been winning for more than a decade and was just one good half of footy away from franking the strategy.

I reckon the beauty of this approach is they can bring in good eggs. Blokes who've been around the traps, and are known to be quality people, not to mention high-calibre footballers. No great risk in that.

So what about taking the next step?

The likes of Narkle, Cockatoo and Clarke have proven they are good players. The older imports can set the expected standards, while the kids provide the side with the legs to go with the younger teams for the full 120 minutes. They must be played ... it was the missing link this season.

I'm not declaring it a success ... yet. But if it bears fruit in the next year or two, expect more clubs to go down this path.
I find it ironic that they forcibly moved on club legends such as Bartel, Chapman, Kelly, Johnson, Corey etc. when they got to the wrong side of 30 and a few years later are bringing in players the same age on multi year contracts. How are Jack Steven and Josh Jenkins working out?

Bizarre strategy. The one Geelong supporter I have spoken to today is spewing about it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Geelong loose Taylor, Ablett,so Higgins,Smith, Cameron gains them Cameron,but the tigers have some seriously talented kids which any number of them can improve big time,ala,balta,baker,bolton,.
Has Taylor announced he's retiring yet? I must have missed it.

Still, if true, makes only two players out, only one on big $$, while bringing in 3 x FAs, one of whom will be on a long contract with big $$.

And this when all clubs are cutting players to meet reduced list size and soft caps? It does not figure.

Reactions: 1 user

The way Geelong is managing its list is interesting. No one said there is only one way to do it.

I'll put a caveat on this right away: if they don't put games into at least some of their promising youngsters, then it could all go pear-shaped. More on that in a sec.

Geelong is a different proposition to a lot of clubs. Being based out of town, yet in the state that is the home of football, makes it an enticing destination for an awful lot of players. Isaac Smith made the point that he chose Geelong over Melbourne for 'lifestyle reasons'.

I don't think there will ever be a shortage of high quality 30-year-olds who are jaded by Melbourne city living and crave the different pace of the Corio area.

They nearly won a grand final with one of the oldest lists ever. Not much more needs to go right before they snag a flag with this strategy.

I always hated what Melbourne did circa the tanking episode. Losing games breeds a loser's culture. I think you must always strive to win. Geelong has been winning for more than a decade and was just one good half of footy away from franking the strategy.

I reckon the beauty of this approach is they can bring in good eggs. Blokes who've been around the traps, and are known to be quality people, not to mention high-calibre footballers. No great risk in that.

The likes of Narkle, Cockatoo and Clarke have proven they are good players. The older imports can set the expected standards, while the kids provide the side with the legs to go with the younger teams for the full 120 minutes. They must be played ... it was the missing link this season.

I'm not declaring it a success ... yet. But if it bears fruit in the next year or two, expect more clubs to go down this path.
The most interesting thing for me is that they are topping up with more forwards and mids and not backs. Tom Stewart is a good player. But Taylor (if he doesn't retire) Henderson, Tuohy, Collar-jazz-knee and Bews doesn't exactly strike fear in too many opposition forward lines.

Reactions: 2 users
TIGER WANTS OUT

Richmond defender Oleg Markov has told the Tigers of his intentions to join Gold Coast, according to AFL Media.

The speedy Tiger is set to accept a two-year deal when trade period begins next week.

“A rebounding defender we think (would be ideal),” Gold Coast head of football Jon Haines said on Trade Radio.

“We think there’s a gap there that we can fill. We’ve been pleased with Wil Powell and his role, but we think we can add more there.

“Potentially Oleg can help us there. He’s keen to come to us and Richmond are a good club to deal with.”

How good is the RFC, we have the best culture, coaches, board, recruiters, fitness and rehab staff etc, and we look after our players when they want to leave for better opportunities.
That's why we are a destination club, and most of the other clubs just don't get it.

So GWS is losing Williams, Cameron and Corr. If they don't match any bids and they all leave as free agents do they get compensation for all 3 players?

So GWS is losing Williams, Cameron and Corr. If they don't match any bids and they all leave as free agents do they get compensation for all 3 players?

Yep they get individual compensation for each I believe. It will bump a fair number of picks back as you'd assume both Cameron and Williams would be 1st round compo (unless Geelong trade for Cameron).

Corr, depends on contract but $600k for 4 years is probably borderline Band 2 (end of 1st round) or Band 3 (2nd round) bearing in mind what we got for Ellis last year.

Yep they get individual compensation for each I believe. It will bump a fair number of picks back as you'd assume both Cameron and Williams would be 1st round compo (unless Geelong trade for Cameron).

Corr, depends on contract but $600k for 4 years is probably borderline Band 2 (end of 1st round) or Band 3 (2nd round) bearing in mind what we got for Ellis last year.
Geez with all of this going on our pick 18 could turn into pick 30!

When your at or close to the top of the mountain you do everything you can to stay at the top. Flags are hard to get. If a 40yo is what is needed to win the flag next year, get the old codger.

Reactions: 1 users

It's not bad in theory, but given recent seasons I still don't think it's the right way to go about it. Having a team full of good players doesn't make you a good team. Look at GWS. Probably the most talented list in the AFL over the last few years but it still didn't get them over the line.

What makes us great is we're a great TEAM. We've developed a culture and a very effective game style. We've recruited and drafted players that buy in to the culture, and have the necessary skills to execute our game plan. We've topped up with a couple of needs players. We've gradually been able to get games into our juniors We can now recruit - via trade or draft - players to "replace" the ones we have as they age, or as backups in case of injury. Trading for whatever the best talent going around isn't necessarily the best way to build success. The cats aren't getting any games into their juniors; what happens when they cop injuries?

Reactions: 4 users
Treloar for Higgins? Treloar likes Jumping Jack from afl 360 and he needs a supportive culture which RFC has. Salary cap the obvious issue but if everyone takes a small hit...including Treloar to get on board the premiership express. I'd like to see Dusty run out of fingers for GF pictures.

0% chance I know but you need to improve or die in the chase for flag. Sitting still doesn't cut it - ask Geelong's cadre of recruits.

We might have to give up our first rounder as well - oh well.

Last edited:
As long as we keep winning premierships, they can keep undervaluing our players

Reactions: 1 users
Treloar apparently has told teammates that he's done at the Pies.

We could win the next 10 premierships and they will still look at why other teams failed rather than why we have won 10 in a row. Land of the salt!

Reactions: 3 users
We could win the next 10 premierships and they will still look at why other teams failed rather than why we have won 10 in a row. Land of the salt!
Someone made a good point the other day. How long until the media are always falling over themselves for Dimma like they do Clarkson. Like always predicting he will pull a rabbit out of the hat type move cause he is a magician. Much like when we played them in the 18 qualifying final they were predicting an upset win for the Hawks cause of the Clarko factor.

I like to look at mega trades, they rarely happen but they keep you interested whilst waiting for trades. Thoughts on the below. Seems feasible to me personally.

Richmond - In Pick 7, Dogs future 2nd Out Pick 21, 35 and Higgins
St Kilda - In Higgins, Out Lonie and a future 3rd
Bulldogs - In Lonie, Pick 21, Pick 35 and Essendons future 1st. Out Dunkley and Dogs future 2nd
Essendon - In Dunkley, Saints future 3rd. Out Pick 7 and Essendons future 1st

Dogs should then trade Pick 14 to the Pies for the Pies 1st in 2021. Gives them 3 firsts next year, they increase their points in 2020 for JUH.

Tiges get a high selection and pretty much trade out of 2020 other than that (which isn't an issue). Get good value for Higgins.

Saints, I reckon thats good value for Higgins.

Essendon, they get their man (Dunkley), still have 2 firsts this year (assuming they get Pick 8 for Saad - if they give something back)

Personally reckon that ticks all the boxes for most clubs and is relatively fair across the board.

• Love
Treloar apparently has told teammates that he's done at the Pies.
Need to put that in context. He wont be wearing their jumper ever again, however, he will be accepting a salary from them each month :) So not completely done

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users