Training | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Probably a bit of both.

I dare say loss of focus more than commitment.

Stackie looks like he is one of those lads that needs to be immersed within the club and the team environment to drive him, he probably doesnt have the desire to do the hard yards on his own without being pushed to do it by the group. Hence why he wasn't drafted initially.

Hes obviously earned himself a foot up the arse as part of the reserves training team.

His form in round 1 wasn't anything to write home about either.

Maybe the kid got a little comfortable in regard to his spot, and has lost sight of what got him to the level last year..

A reality check and foot up the arse will be good for him but not as much as training back with his team mates.will be, he'll bounce back quickly.

You are pretty much spot on with your comments there Craig although Stacky's commitment also needs to be questioned.

Up to him to respond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
And yet despite the exhaustive analysis and forensic collection of information, someone this week or next week or the week after will be running along and ping a hammy. As I've said before anyone who solves that mystery will be a very rich person.

That's not a mystery that can be solved I reckon. We can mitigate the risk but the risk is always there.

Reactions: 1 user

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
That's not a mystery that can be solved I reckon. We can mitigate the risk but the risk is always there.

Yep, we found out last season that injuries can and will happen.
Bad luck and other variables can contribute, however I definitely believe that none of ours were due to mismanagement of players.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Ask away, always happy to share if I have the knowledge on something.

That's a very complicated answer with a lot of factors but generally speaking the more training years you have under your belt, the slower you lose condition and the faster you regain it.

That's why an Alex Rance can skip a chunk of preseason and not suffer too many issues or why we can start older guys later.

So in general those guys should have been able to maintain their condition pretty well over the stoppage and will likely be in the best shape of anyone. They also have the experience to know what works for them in a training sense.

Shorter games and a shorter season is definitely a plus from an older athlete point of view because it will reduce the load they put their bodies under and improve recovery, which are important issues for older players.

It's all speculation because there is no data to reflect anything like the sort of training conditions we have experienced this season but I would argue the two biggest beneficiaries this season are older (7 training years and up) and younger players (3 training years and under). The younger will benefit from not being as exposed by the lack of training years - now if you are 80% as fit as a seasoned athlete you are almost on a par, while the older guys will have a headstart on conditioning and

The other side of that coin is that the body becomes more susceptible to injury over time, as normal wear and tear, impacts, previous injuries and related scar tissue, a loss of flexibility etc start to take a toll, so older guys are always going to suffer injuries, no matter what format of season we are in, so those guys will still get hurt from time to time, but if their luck is in they will enjoy it I think.

Great answer!! much apreciated.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
For anyone interested in some of the discussions we've been having here, there was a very informative interview with Andrew Russell on Fox Footy this morning.

Russell is the Director of High Performance at Carlton and has been at Port, Essendon and Hawthorn previously and was involved in premierships at all of them, so as the top shelf in the business he can share things pretty confidently that you wouldn't hear from other people.

Well worth a watch if you are interested in how players are prepared.

Is he the next Buffiant? Or the next Dean Robinson? Or the next Darren Burgess.
Because none beats the bloke we have.
Russell made a huge mistake chasing the dollars and going to Carlton. The list is weak, and they're smoothered with players that sneeze and get injured. Kreuser, McGovern, Docherty, Curnow and Warren Ralph..
Carton will be in the bottom 6-4 for a very long time.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
After his short stint at Carlton, he might be working under Burge.
Burge is the best fitness bloke in the competition.

Has been amazing for the RFC no doubt.

Will be sought after especially if the Tigers can nab another one in the next year or two.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Burge is good, but it's a high performance team that gets the job done. Rob Inness in rehab is absolutely elite at what he does and deserves more kudos.

Reactions: 6 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Is he the next Buffiant? Or the next Dean Robinson? Or the next Darren Burgess.
Because none beats the bloke we have.
Russell made a huge mistake chasing the dollars and going to Carlton. The list is weak, and they're smoothered with players that sneeze and get injured. Kreuser, McGovern, Docherty, Curnow and Warren Ralph..
Carton will be in the bottom 6-4 for a very long time.
Perhaps that's why he went there, he needed a big challenge! He also needs to work with a top rehab guy, like we have. Then the third aspect is to have players smart enough to follow directions who don't try to come back too quickly.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
It's the entire club really.

Like most things in footy the line between genius and goose is very, very fine.

We had a bad year for injuries last year but because we had depth and players developed and ready to step in we were successful and our high performance team is raved about.

Had we had that same year in 2017 we almost certainly don't win the flag, perhaps even miss the finals and everyone gets sacked.
The depth argument is a brilliant one, had we not been winning those games when the injuries hit with basically a VFL side we may have needed to rush players back & the back end of the season would be a different story as it's likely we'd cop re-injuries.
IMO this gets the middle table sides as they need thier best players on the park to win or risk missing the 8, we are lucky not to have that issue atm. Even the Pies have had this issue as they are desperate for a Flag. Our guys have the luxury of a mini pre season before returning in some case.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
And yet despite the exhaustive analysis and forensic collection of information, someone this week or next week or the week after will be running along and ping a hammy. As I've said before anyone who solves that mystery will be a very rich person.

The players will always be pushed to their limits, so even if a perfect prevention of any type of injury was discovered, it would eventually lead to something else going soon after I reckon.

Better recovery means they can push the players harder once again... I’m never expecting injury rates to significantly drop.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
The depth argument is a brilliant one, had we not been winning those games when the injuries hit with basically a VFL side we may have needed to rush players back & the back end of the season would be a different story as it's likely we'd cop re-injuries.
IMO this gets the middle table sides as they need thier best players on the park to win or risk missing the 8, we are lucky not to have that issue atm. Even the Pies have had this issue as they are desperate for a Flag. Our guys have the luxury of a mini pre season before returning in some case.
Yep, we could see that issue with the tigers when Lids was at his best. Because our depth was poor, he did not get the support he needed so when he was tagged hard (especially by Ling) we folded and lost. Last year's flag is a credit to our fitness, rehab and recruiting areas which is something we could not have said many years ago.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
To Caesar and any other track watcher this week I would love to hear how the youngsters are going.
1st year particularly - Dow Hugo Biggie etc

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Some worrying signs regarding Stack.
Chosen in the Round 1 side but something has happened over the last 2 months. Maybe a lack of commitment or just a *smile* haircut?

Hasn't Stack always performed poorly in the running sessions?

Have I missed something? Reading this thread I would have thought he has almost walked out on the club.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Houli training today , looks ok . Wet cold conditions

Reactions: 2 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
If today's conditions are similiar to next Thursday.
Put you house on it us by 45+.

Pies folded in the wet against us last year, round 19.

Our first quarter of that game was sensational.

Some things from that game. Soldo was fantastic, made Grundy a non-contributor. Pies kicked a lot more than we did but this traditional wet-weather technique didn't work for them as our defence was fully set up for it. Collingwood's forward structure was appalling. Our captain pinged his hammy half way through the first term.

Quarter time score: 5.4 to 1.2

Game over.

Reactions: 3 users