Training | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not really, they have announced their style its outta the gate , they smashed the Dogs out of the blocks and if we turn up half arsed and not switched right on we could be 3-4 goals down in no time, they are front runners and if they are held up early they struggle without momentum, their whole game is about wresting momentum early and quickly.

I hate them but they are one of 2 or 3 sides that still actually fancy themselves when they take the field against us.
Its how we throttled them second time round last season, we went with them early when they were hard at it, then got in front then got on top and they didn't really fire back once we had them.

Hold em and get scoreboard pressure on early is key against them.

Graigy, they're massive front runners.
When things are going well, all of them seem in tune. But when things turn they buckle and have a soft under belly.
Maynard, Thomas, Phillips and even Sidebottom go missing.
Our best is way better then there best.
They rely on 3 players penderbury, Degoey and Grundy.
They have off night they will get slapped.
Need to stop Degoey inclement especially if he is moved into the middle.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I had a long chat to a pro running coach about a year ago, he is a lifelong Collingwood supporter and had come across the same type of soft tissue injuries in his athletes and worked out what was causing it.

He was mates with a Collingwood legend and his mate had organised a meeting between this coach and the Collingwood coaching staff to give them a rundown on how to reduce the injury toll.

He chickened out as the thought of having to tell this group of coaches who were being paid millions of dollars that they were causing the problem became too intimidating.

Things have not changed at Collingwood so the problem goes on and the coach has taken his advice to the club to the grave.

He did tell me the cure and when I did some research on what he believed was causing the problem it seemed he was right on the money.

P.S. its not the medical dept.
I have heard the theory thier training ground could be the issue.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Tomorrow, Thursday, should be a full dress rehearsal one would think being only 1 week till bounce down.

To date we haven't pushed the envelope in our match play with only two 15 minute halves last Monday and three 15 minute qtrs Thursday, which may explain the lack of new injuries except for the unfortunate Cumberland who did his ACL, (Bachar was already in rehab before round 1 and still has the same calf concerns).

From what I hear Collingwood have been pretty full on with some 2 hour sessions and could explain why they are getting a few soft tissue niggles? Hopefully they won't be as hot as they were round 1.

Interesting to see what the best approach to player management turns out to be as the season rolls on.

P.S. Should have Tigers Of Old for company tomorrow so hopefully you get some fresh views rather than listening to the same broken record :D
Very much look fwd to it. We could see some teams come out flying & run into trouble as the yr goes on, by the sounds of it we are taking a more conservative approach so if the Pies get us in Rd 2 i am not overly concerned. even at 17 games it's still a marathon not a sprint.
I personally think we'll be right Rd 2 anyway

Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Very much look fwd to it. We could see some teams come out flying & run into trouble as the yr goes on, by the sounds of it we are taking a more conservative approach so if the Pies get us in Rd 2 i am not overly concerned. even at 17 games it's still a marathon not a sprint.
I personally think we'll be right Rd 2 anyway
Good call. Our philosophy last year was certainly to build into the season, though maybe that has to be tweaked to factor in squad rotations to keep everyone match fit and game sharp.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Good call. Our philosophy last year was certainly to build into the season, though maybe that has to be tweaked to factor in squad rotations to keep everyone match fit and game sharp.
rotating players during the season could be another part of it, i am going off Cotch on SEN last week or earlier this week saying our focus has been on injury prevention. Clubs will need the fittest possible list this yr in order to win it.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Any word on Phantom Miller is he there is he real ??
Bit hard Craig. He is a big guy and they take longer. Not his fault he has been caught up in this and very unfortunate, like many others that he has been put at such disadvantage.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
What are your feelings around the rest of the draw. Wondering if we may stay up in Qld after West Coast and have away games against Brisbane and GC.
Could do worse?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
What are your feelings around the rest of the draw. Wondering if we may stay up in Qld after West Coast and have away games against Brisbane and GC.
Could do worse?

Playing WC in Queensland means we won't play freo in Perth.
The AFL will send 2 clubs at time to WA to play both and fulfill the 14 day quarantine period.
Back to staying in Queensland during the middle of july could be a blessing in disguise.
Dry grounds and Warmer weather would help our players get through the season.
Nothing will faze our team..

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I'm back at training.
What a morning,
The Grass is looking greener then usual.
I couldn't believe what i was seeing.
Players were running,
Players were catching,
Players were throwing,
No wonder we are a good team....

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Graigy, they're massive front runners.
When things are going well, all of them seem in tune. But when things turn they buckle and have a soft under belly.
Maynard, Thomas, Phillips and even Sidebottom go missing.
Our best is way better then there best.
They rely on 3 players penderbury, Degoey and Grundy.
They have off night they will get slapped.
Need to stop Degoey inclement especially if he is moved into the middle.
Yes Sidebottom can go missing, we need to put a bit of time into him though. He got it 41 times in the 2018 Prelim Final, and only 14 times a week later against the Eagles.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm back at training.
What a morning,
The Grass is looking greener then usual.
I couldn't believe what i was seeing.
Players were running,
Players were catching,
Players were throwing,
No wonder we are a good team....
You at Richmond, or at Clarksville :p

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Yes Sidebottom can go missing, we need to put a bit of time into him though. He got it 41 times in the 2018 Prelim Final, and only 14 times a week later against the Eagles.
The Prelim, he just sat out, wide, on the wing by himself as a receiver. We sent no one to him, I assume, because it would have disrupted our corridor style of play.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Followed @caesar to training this morning for the intraclub Hitout out at Punt Road. He’s given me the honour this morning of compiling the report.:)

Started with a quick warm up before breaking into a game. They played 3 full length quarters this morning in full match simulation. Not holding much back.
Dimma umpired.

First quarter saw the teams fairly evenly distributed with a mix of talent in both teams.
Notably absent was Prestia who whilst taking part in the warm up disappeared to the sheds thereafter. Hopefully ok..
In better news Houli was kitted up. Nank vs Soldo from the centre bounce.

First term notes..

- George kicked 3 goals.
- Stack got a lot of possessions playing a mix of mid/forward. Some of them eye catching.
- Dow looked good. Clean & crisp. Nice goal.
- Interestingly Lynch spent a lot of time in the ruck & was quite effective.
- Garthwaite took several contested marks in defence & at one point outmarked Lynch. Looked good.

2nd term
- Bachar was fantastic. Moving well. Absolute certainty to play if pulls up well.
- Jack Ross. Played a half back role today & looked very comfortable. Picked up a heap of footy & may be a surprise selection next week. However maybe just a backup for Houli too..
- Shai was doing Shai things.

3rd term
- Looked Like it reverted to the A side vs the B side. Stack in the red (B) bib. Ross in the yellow (A) kit. Who knows what that means but as the game went on Stack faded a bit (played more forward) where as Ross continued to accumulate at HB.
- Astbury made life hell for CJ & Chol.
- Houli & Martin rested in last term & ran laps.
- Shedda was dominant. Won the ball at will all game. Cotchin very good also.
- Soldo kicked a goal very similar to that in GF. Excellent kicking technique. Our no 1 ruck.
- Rioli & Baker both copped heavy knocks in the game but think both will be ok.
- Higgo, Pickett, Vlastuin, Broad all solid.
- Dusty a touch quieter than I expected but am sure he will be ok.

Bloody great to watch some live footy at Punt Road even if just a scratch match.

Best today IMO
Shedda, Houli, Cotch, Shai, Astbury, Ross, Soldo

That’s about it. Any other questions just ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: 31 users