Training | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Tigers Of Old failed to mentioned that we had the pleasure of having breakfast with Shai, Stackman, Rioli and Higgo at the Rush Cafe in Richmond, (ok a huge exaggeration but they were there ;))

Haha. Social distancing reasons only of course. :D

Took some pics from Caesar's Superbox.

IMG_4598.jpgIMG_4616.jpgIMG_4593.jpgIMG_4595.jpg..

IMG_4610.jpgIMG_4606.jpgIMG_4602.jpg

Reactions: 18 users

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Watched with interest this morning. Must have been near the intrepid reporters as there were a few of us against the fence on Punt Road. Reckon we might be tempted to go with one ruckman - especially with the shortened quarters. Whilst I love Nank and his ground level efforts are fantastic (think he nabbed Dusty about 3 times today and that takes some doing!) I still think Soldo will get the nod. Was surprised at the number of times either Jack R or Tom L contested ruck contests.

We have gone from bare cupboard with Nank our only option (as well as premiership ruckman Griggy) to now have both Soldo and Nank as serious options with Coleman Jones knocking the door down behind them.

We all know the capability of our senior players but thought it worth a mention for a few of the others

Jack Ross - is a beast and got plenty of it today. Will fit in easily at senior level (which he has already done)
Collier Dawkins - hard to pick with a new haircut, needs to tidy up his in close disposal. Is also a beast and could be anything
Noah Balta - showed plenty when under siege today. Still maintain he could develop into the next Rance - remember what Rance's first few years were like.
Mabior Chol - needs some urgency quickly or is in danger of being left behind
Jake Aarts - has a few tricks but just not quite tall enough, not quite quick enough. Is in a long queue for a spot in the forward line
Patrick Naish - looked cramped for space and always under pressure. Has ability but not 100% sure where there is a spot for him
Oleg Markov - just doesn't get it enough. In fairness was trying to play a tall forward role against AFL standard defenders but can't see a spot for him long term
Biggie Nguyen - did a few nice things and has some skill, nice kick but tended to just kick it long regardless rather than looking for a better option.
Hugo Ralphsmith - did a few nice things but seemed under pressure and turned it over a bit.
Kamdyn McIntosh - hard to pick with new hair style. Got it a bit but disposal was sloppy.
Fraser Turner - didn't see a lot of him
Ben Miller - didn't have much influence - can't see him being a long term prospect
Ryan Garthwaite - had a hard job of either Lynch or Reiwoldt and to his credit kept trying - actually did ok which is no surprise as effort can never be questioned.

Im hoping I havent given an unfair appraisal above as some of the red jumpers were hard to distinguish who was who and they were playing against the best team in the competition.

Go Tigers

T44

Reactions: 23 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Followed @caesar to training this morning for the intraclub Hitout out at Punt Road. He’s given me the honour this morning of compiling the report.:)

Started with a quick warm up before breaking into a game. They played 3 full length quarters this morning in full match simulation. Not holding much back.
Dimma umpired.

First quarter saw the teams fairly evenly distributed with a mix of talent in both teams.
Notably absent was Prestia who whilst taking part in the warm up disappeared to the sheds thereafter. Hopefully ok..
In better news Houli was kitted up. Nank vs Soldo from the centre bounce.

First term notes..

- George kicked 3 goals.
- Stack got a lot of possessions playing a mix of mid/forward. Some of them eye catching.
- Dow looked good. Clean & crisp. Nice goal.
- Interestingly Lynch spent a lot of time in the ruck & was quite effective.
- Garthwaite took several contested marks in defence & at one point outmarked Lynch. Looked good.

2nd term
- Bachar was fantastic. Moving well. Absolute certainty to play if pulls up well.
- Jack Ross. Played a half back role today & looked very comfortable. Picked up a heap of footy & may be a surprise selection next week. However maybe just a backup for Houli too..
- Shai was doing Shai things.

3rd term
- Looked Like it reverted to the A side vs the B side. Stack in the red (B) bib. Ross in the yellow (A) kit. Who knows what that means but as the game went on Stack faded a bit (played more forward) where as Ross continued to accumulate at HB.
- Astbury made life hell for CJ & Chol.
- Houli & Martin rested in last term & ran laps.
- Shedda was dominant. Won the ball at will all game. Cotchin very good also.
- Soldo kicked a goal very similar to that in GF. Excellent kicking technique. Our no 1 ruck.
- Rioli & Baker both copped heavy knocks in the game but think both will be ok.
- Higgo, Pickett, Vlastuin, Broad all solid.
- Dusty a touch quieter than I expected but am sure he will be ok.

Bloody great to watch some live footy at Punt Road even if just a scratch match.

Best today IMO
Shedda, Houli, Cotch, Shai, Astbury, Ross, Soldo

That’s about it. Any other questions just ask.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Bit hard Craig. He is a big guy and they take longer. Not his fault he has been caught up in this and very unfortunate, like many others that he has been put at such disadvantage.

Its ok man I'm just running with a joke on here that you have probably missed whilst away from PRE.

Few started refferring to Ben as the Phantom he was rarely seen or spoken or heard of .

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Yes Sidebottom can go missing, we need to put a bit of time into him though. He got it 41 times in the 2018 Prelim Final, and only 14 times a week later against the Eagles.

Bastard doesn't seem to go missing against us very often though.

He's often getting outlet handballs from Pendlebury and Adams from inside, they often seem to have outside receivers running forward at stoppages to take advantage of Grundies dominance. Its one of the ways that they break open the play at stoppages quickly.

When they are up and running he is a key linkman, with Pendlebury, Treloar, and Crisp

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Followed @caesar to training this morning for the intraclub Hitout out at Punt Road. He’s given me the honour this morning of compiling the report.:)

Started with a quick warm up before breaking into a game. They played 3 full length quarters this morning in full match simulation. Not holding much back.
Dimma umpired.

First quarter saw the teams fairly evenly distributed with a mix of talent in both teams.
Notably absent was Prestia who whilst taking part in the warm up disappeared to the sheds thereafter. Hopefully ok..
In better news Houli was kitted up. Nank vs Soldo from the centre bounce.

First term notes..

- George kicked 3 goals.
- Stack got a lot of possessions playing a mix of mid/forward. Some of them eye catching.
- Dow looked good. Clean & crisp. Nice goal.
- Interestingly Lynch spent a lot of time in the ruck & was quite effective.
- Garthwaite took several contested marks in defence & at one point outmarked Lynch. Looked good.

2nd term
- Bachar was fantastic. Moving well. Absolute certainty to play if pulls up well.
- Jack Ross. Played a half back role today & looked very comfortable. Picked up a heap of footy & may be a surprise selection next week. However maybe just a backup for Houli too..
- Shai was doing Shai things.

3rd term
- Looked Like it reverted to the A side vs the B side. Stack in the red (B) bib. Ross in the yellow (A) kit. Who knows what that means but as the game went on Stack faded a bit (played more forward) where as Ross continued to accumulate at HB.
- Astbury made life hell for CJ & Chol.
- Houli & Martin rested in last term & ran laps.
- Shedda was dominant. Won the ball at will all game. Cotchin very good also.
- Soldo kicked a goal very similar to that in GF. Excellent kicking technique. Our no 1 ruck.
- Rioli & Baker both copped heavy knocks in the game but think both will be ok.
- Higgo, Pickett, Vlastuin, Broad all solid.
- Dusty a touch quieter than I expected but am sure he will be ok.

Bloody great to watch some live footy at Punt Road even if just a scratch match.

Best today IMO
Shedda, Houli, Cotch, Shai, Astbury, Ross, Soldo

That’s about it. Any other questions just ask.

Well done Olden cheers good reporting.

Reactions: 1 users

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
Sorry Billy24 did not get back online till this morning it is 9:30am till about 11am
No probs mate. I do plan on coming down to training next week (holidays!) if you have any info on training times would be appreciated

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I would say it is round 1 team plus Houli - meaning one of Stack, Graham or Nank will miss out. (Assuming Prestia is OK)

T44

Think Stackie is in trouble or Graham.

Ross is obviously not far off calculations either.

In Bash

Out - Maybe Stackie will pay for his unglamorous return.

I like Stack against the Maggots though hes a physical matchup for all their mid/ smaller sized types.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
No probs mate. I do plan on coming down to training next week (holidays!) if you have any info on training times would be appreciated

Leppa said they are training Sunday but i imagine it will be staggered in their Covid groups of 8 with never more than 16 on ground at the one time.
Tuesday about 9:30 am i'd suggest would be the best session to catch before Thursday's match.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Great report TOO, all i'll add is the game was a bit scrappier than those of last week and without the spectacular except for the magic hands of Shedda. Dion not participating after only warm up is a slight concern, he along with Martin Shai & Shedds have been the stars post lockdown. Dusty was quiet today and didn't look quite right to me at one point going into the sheds accompanied by the Doc before coming back out. On Daniel he was down for what felt like about 2 minutes with trainers and players showing some concern. Got up was sort of limping, sucking in the big ones as if his ribs had been tickled, hands on the head as well so my expert medical opinion is ankle/ribs/concussion or just a big hito_O
And yes Bachar was the huge plus in Norm Smith form :clap2 for the time he was on the ground.

Chl 7 just had footage of Dusty talking to the Doc at qtr time today indicating the rib cage area, that is when they went inside briefly, he then came back out to play in the 2nd before pulling himself of the 3rd and last qtr to run some laps. Didn't look too much to worry about but as I said was not right today.

Reactions: 1 user