Travel/Overseas destinations | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Travel/Overseas destinations

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Re: Travel/Overseas thread

CarnTheTiges,
Sounds like a great trip! :clap
Bet you have some fantastic photos as well...any we can see on here? or?

Redford,
:hihi
Oh...c'mon mate....don't be jealous like that! ;)
Is Fenway Park the one with the giant green wall? or am I getting mixed up with another old-style stadium?

Legends-of-1980,
Really?
I'd heard that westerners aren't safe in Egypt...or is that a myth that has been blown out of proportion again?

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
Liverpool said:
the greatest stadium (Yankee Stadium, of course!  ;))

Oh please.  :rofl

Disco08...sorry, I should have left that comment for Anfield! ;D
But the Yankees, if my stats are correct and memory up to date, have won more pennants than any other team, just as Liverpool have won more domestic titles and Champs.League titles than any other English team. :)

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Doesn't mean their rat-infested toilet is a good stadium though.

And yes they've won a few titles, and were once a good franchise. Now however, they are an overspending evil empire and the bane of MLB. Long may the curse of Slappy McBluelips reign.

Liverpool said:

Nah, you should have saved it for the 'G.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
Doesn't mean their rat-infested toilet is a good stadium though.

And yes they've won a few titles, and were once a good franchise. Now however, they are an overspending evil empire and the bane of MLB. Long may the curse of Slappy McBluelips reign.

Liverpool said:

Nah, you should have saved it for the 'G.

I was only sh*t-stirring mate! ;)

Just out of curiosity, have you been to the 'new' MCG, and whats the best stadium you have been to?

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Not yet, hopeully I'll get to a couple of games this year though.

The 'G is honestly the best stadium I've been to, although De Kuip in Rotterdam for the Amstel Cup final between Roda and Hereveen was also very cool. Coming out of the train station and looking down into the valley where it's situated was like looking at a scene from Lord Of The Rings or Braveheart.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
Not yet, hopeully I'll get to a couple of games this year though.

The 'G is honestly the best stadium I've been to, although De Kuip in Rotterdam for the Amstel Cup final between Roda and Hereveen was also very cool. Coming out of the train station and looking down into the valley where it's situated was like looking at a scene from Lord Of The Rings or Braveheart.

Thats the Feyenoord stadium, yeah?
I've heard the Ajax one in Amsterdam is pretty good too....and also the new one in Munich, that lights up in different colours at night, is supposed to be tops as well.

Shame we don't play at the 'G until...what...round-10 or something! :-\
Applied for some Commonwealth Games tickets, but only got into the boxing.... :hihi...better than nothing I guess!

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Yep. Most Dutch fans are awesome. Singing and cheering the whole time, well at least until the opposition scores anyway. Ajax's stadium looked cool from the train but I didn't get a chance to see a game there. I wouldn't particularly want to be at either one when those two teams played eachother though, that's for sure.

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

My Dutch mate took me past Eindhoven, Phillips both sides of the Freeway as far as the eye could see

Didn't get to see a match there :'( mainly drinking and letting off firecrackers

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

[
mk33,
Is there anything you particularly want to see in Scandinavia?
The women Liverpool ;)
No I remember as a kid wanting to go to Denmark, maybe the fairytale nature, I think I was told that is where the Magic Faraway Tree was from Enid Blynton (don't know where), it just sound magical and it was where big Legoland was!!! Have heard good reports (and read yours and Phantom etc here) re these countries and also Iceland. Expensive but worth a look.

With the golf Redford how far in advance did you prebook these games and are these courses for non members or did you have some rights with a membership here. Sounded great, have you been to Scotland as I reckon that would be good. Disappointed when I didn't get to have a look at St Andrews when I was in Scotland (next time). I know with St Andrews you have to pay in advance with no guarantee and you go into some lottery.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

Also just FYI if you like travelling or like looking at other countries.
A great book recommendation is
Lonely Planet a Journey through every country in the World.

Its a big red book A3 size that has two pages of pictures and facts on every country.
Some very good pictures in them and well set up.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004

mk33 said:
Also just FYI if you like travelling or like looking at other countries.
A great book recommendation is
Lonely Planet a Journey through every country in the World.

Its a big red book A3 size that has two pages of pictures and facts on every country.
Some very good pictures in them and well set up.

Seems like a good pick up.

What upsets me the most is when I hear about this really interesting place that I should visit when I've already been to that city/country and missed it.

I guess it's that avid characteristic of wanting to see everything.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

mk33 said:
The women Liverpool  ;)
No I remember as a kid wanting to go to Denmark, maybe the fairytale nature, I think I was told that is where the Magic Faraway Tree was from Enid Blynton (don't know where), it just sound magical and it was where big Legoland was!!! Have heard good reports (and read yours and Phantom etc here) re these countries and also Iceland. Expensive but worth a look.

Scandinavia is like many western countries these days, as there are so many different races/cultures living there nowadays, that the "blonde hair, blue eyed" Swede as such is becoming a rarity.
So you'll probably find just as attractive sheilas in Melbourne, that you'll find in Stockholm....don't know if thats so bad though! ;)

If you like things a bit older and "fairy tale" like, then check out Gamla Stan, the 'old town' part of Stockholm.
Many little lanes and streets...really interesting.
Here's a site you might find interesting, with a few photos as well:
http://www.photo.net/sweden/stockholm/gamlastan

Also the "Ice Bar" (also in Stockholm), where everything, including the glasses, are made of ice:
http://www.traveladventures.org/continents/europe/icebar.shtml

Also checked the Vasa out, which is awesome:
http://www.vasamuseet.se/Vasamuseet/Vasamuseet.aspx?path=%2fhome%2fvasamuseet%2fom&layout={C0D465E0-3110-436A-A0E4-EA5BB84475B8}

And you can't go to Sweden without seeing an ice-hockey game.
I went to "Globen" (the Globe), which is a stadium, that from the outside, looks like a giant golf-ball.
The team that plays there is 'Djurgarden' (which translates to "Animal Farm" in english! :hihi)
http://www.globearenas.se/browse.asp?menu=1&sid=166

So just a couple of things in Stockholm you might find interesting mate! 8)

Hymie

I'm a llama!
Aug 12, 2003

Never been overseas before but going to the U.S in August , anyone been over there who
has seen the Olympic Peninusla and the Colorado Rockies and San Juan Mountains??
Most of the trip is decided but 4-5 days will be spent in one of these areas , just can't decide which one..
Colorado would be more conveniant but i am leaning to Olympic.
Anyone who has been to these areas care to comment on what area they found more interesting and scenic??

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

As Phantom mentioned earlier, does anyone have a country to discuss, give tips or find more info for upcoming trip.
Just wanting to keep this thread alive and keep some discussion up.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

Sorry Liverpool did you go to the ice bar and did you stay in ice hotel.

One of my friends did and they sent me a postcard from there. Had to stay really rugged up naturally and remember David Reyne doing a segment for Getaway.

Also remember Amazing Race doing a contestant there as well.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

mk33 said:
Sorry Liverpool did you go to the ice bar and did you stay in ice hotel.

One of my friends did and they sent me a postcard from there. Had to stay really rugged up naturally and remember David Reyne doing a segment for Getaway.

Also remember Amazing Race doing a contestant there as well.

mk33,
Actually, the day I went there, they were closed :'(
Maybe it was colder outside than inside the bar itself!?!? :hihi
But my sister has been there when she was living in Scandinavia, and she reckons its great also.

Chelsea

Tiger Rookie
Mar 28, 2005

mk33.... I've been to the Ice Bar in Stockholm, and yes, it was very cold, and one had to 'rug up' in special outfits. Everything was 'icy' even the glasses that we had our drinks in. The bar was made out of thick ice, and we had vodka cocktails to drink, as on the day we were there, a Vodka company was promoting their drink. The Ice bar was a novel idea, and something different....... and very enjoyable. :rofl If you ever get the chance to go to Stockholm, make sure you try the Ice bar. It's fun!!!!! Stockholm, itself, is a lovely city, with lots of history, especially in the 'old' part. I also visited Norway, and some of the scenery there is beautiful, but it's an expensive place. I guess that's why a lot of travellers don't go to Scandinavia... it is a little expensive.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield

Have heard its more expensive than the rest of Europe, but would be worth if you want to go hopefully one day will get there. Sound great though Liverpool and Chelsea

Has anyone been to Switzerland and if so whereabouts. That is one country I do like. As yet have only been to Innsbruck In Austria and everyone says Austria is just as good. Also had lunch and my paspport stamped in Leichenstein (apparently that is a tourist attraction there).

My first trip to Europe was Contike which involved 2nts in Engelberg, On our way to Engelberg we had lunch at Lucerne and stayed there for a few hours. It was August and it was clear day and just looked liked the best place ever with Lake Lucerne, blue skies and in the background snow capped mountains. In brief time went to the Swiss Army tribute of the lion which Mark Twain described as the most moving statue he has seen (I think that right have notes in my journal). Took photos of the lake with as it just looked like a postcard view in every picture, had a look at Chapel bridge and bought some Swiss chocolate and Swiss army knife with my name inscribed (the ultimate souveneir).
Engelberg is about an hour from Lucerne, lovely village/town with some great buildings. Our hotel was fantastic and just the views were great (best I have seen but I have not been to Queenstown or seen much of Austria).
The next day we took a cable car and rotating lift/cable car thing (sorry I dont correct name) to Mt Titlis which overlooked Engelberg. Pretty high up and needed to sit down as had a big night the night before. Some fantastic views which met all expectations. Spent the day in T Shirt on the snow. On way down you could ride a bike down or take cable car.

The next year I went back to Europe and did Busabout and spent 2nts in Berne, 1nt in Lucerne and 4nts in Lautterbrunnen (near Interlaken).
On way to Berne from Paris just inside France was a real highlight the big clothes peg which is far more attractive than the big banana. Has anyone seen it, I Have forgotton what village it was in but its near the House of Corn.
I loved Berne very medievel city the streets had many statues and drinking fountains (loved drinking the fresh clear water there0. I had stayed near the tourist centre where nearby is some fantastic views of the city but also enclosed Bears which did not look good. Berne got its name as it is German!! for Bear which is the first animal they discovered near the area. The River through Berne (sorry forgotton its name) is so clear and runs at a good pace. I hired a bike and went riding around the city looking at its historic buildings and rode along the river and 30 min out of it I found a farmhouse which is unusual for a capital city,

Lucerne as mentioned earlier just fantastic went to some lookouts explored some of the streets and churches and went on a boat cruise .

Lautturbrunnen highly recommend so much to see and do you need more than a week. Stayed out Camping jungfrau which you may see on Missy Higgins filmclip for ten days. So many walks to do we went to the falls there that are indoor and then just kept walking until late. Also did a train trip to Mt Jungfrau the highest viewing point in Switzerland or Europe (!). Altitude hits you there but the ice castles were great etc. Stupid me did not coat after the previous and only had a light jumper on (it was June so weather not as good and were higher up than Titlis) but still had a great day. We tried for a husky ride but they said it was too rough for the huskies.

So thats my experience on Switzerland, sorry if I Have crapped on but hopefully more can join in on Switzerland or somewhere else. I you get chance to go do it I would get back to all of the above mentioned.

Tigerclan

Tiger Champion
Jan 22, 2005

I went through Switzerland for a few days in 1987

At the moment all I can recall is that beer was $6 per glass even back then

I'll get my pictures out and jog the old memory

Berne is the medieval city with all the shops cleverly integrated under the fascade??

And the bear pit??

Think I had a beer there too