Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I had Cotchy as 2nd BOG today,

which is pretty much BOG-for-mortals.

and I'm not even sure Cotchy is eligible.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
V
First game back for 2021 today, but his disposal was very poor, constantly turned the ball over in the first half. In the second half, he focused more on short kicks that were often sideways. He had no decisive impact on the match.
Very ordinary game, but "champion data' have him going at 70%
But watching the game it looked like Taylor Adams in a Richmond jumper. Handballs missing targets and kicks to nowhere.
He was 50 times better in the fosters cup game against the little pies.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Rusty.... mis timed a lot of kicks, maybe the extra pace on the game put players in slightly different spots to what he’s used to

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
He kicks like someone worried about pinging a hammy.
agree, Very tentative with his kicking. however I love him, and thought it was a decent first showing, I'm now off to say 3 hail dusty's for my first comments. As you were.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Won a lot of ball around half back, a bit like 2016. Watching on telly I didn't think his disposal was that bad but the game was a stinker so maybe I was zoning out.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Liked the way he got plenty of the ball; looks fit. Didn't like the way he used it; especially his kicking. Hopefully it's just rust and he will regain touch with games under the belt.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
his kicking has been very poor for quite a while, it stands out moreso this season due to the time and space players have to hit targets

hardwick even mentioned his poor disposal in this game in his press conference

i will be very surprised if he appears in the coaches votes

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Seemed to lack some penetration kicking off his right yesterday but I liked his attack on the footy.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Seemed to lack some penetration kicking off his right yesterday but I liked his attack on the footy.
Maybe the hammy issues have made him reluctant to really kick through the ball?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I found the way he was used yesterday very interesting.
Only had 7 contested possessions & 19 uncontested. That is a far different ratio to Cotchy's usual output where he's winning a heap of contested ball in close.
With much of his footy won in the back half, my sense was they were trialing him in a half back type role much like Hodge was later in his career.
Maybe a sign that we are looking to open up opportunities for our other younger inside mids in Ross, Dow, RCD & Martyn as Trent enters the twilight of his career.
I guess that was why I was slightly critical of his performance because his ball use in more of an outside role wasn't all that great. Even if rusty. Can tolerate him blasting it onto the boot at the coal face in heavily contested situations (his bread & butter) but in more open play the turnovers stood out. Cotchy has been a superstar but he's at an interesting stage of his career with the changing face of the game..

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I found the way he was used yesterday very interesting.
Only had 7 contested possessions & 19 uncontested. That is a far different ratio to Cotchy's usual output where he's winning a heap of contested ball in close.
With much of his footy won in the back half, my sense was they were trialing him in a half back type role much like Hodge was later in his career.
Maybe a sign that we are looking to open up opportunities for our other younger inside mids in Ross, Dow, RCD & Martyn as Trent enters the twilight of his career.
I guess that was why I was slightly critical of his performance because his ball use in more of an outside role wasn't all that great. Even if rusty. Can tolerate him blasting it onto the boot at the coal face in heavily contested situations (his bread & butter) but in more open play the turnovers stood out. Cotchy has been a superstar but he's at an interesting stage of his career with the changing face of the game..

I'm happy to trial him in different roles, I feel he would be better used though as a half forward / pressure forward. His manic attack on the ball would be great in our forward 50. I think we have much better kicks to use off half back.