Trent Cotchin (Merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trent Cotchin (Merged)

He was asked to name a team he’d most like to play with, hence he was at CHF.

After just 4 years in the league he was already a deadset champion with 2 flags.
He played for Victoria in something like his 5th game. And kicked 7 goals…
Yes I think that's how I remember it and of course he had a lot of Tiger players in that team! Even though the book was aimed at Tiger supporters, he was vilified by the media for his arrogance. Perhaps he didn't have a manager to stear him in a different direction?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
He was asked to name a team he’d most like to play with, hence he was at CHF.

After just 4 years in the league he was already a deadset champion with 2 flags.
He played for Victoria in something like his 5th game. And kicked 7 goals…
Yeah the State game against WA was his 5th game, he'd only played 4 senior games for it, and he kicks a lazy 7 goals :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ruthless Richmond & Brilliance & Brutality is actually the same book. But with a different cover. My eldest daughter had it signed by Balmey & gave it to me. I told my Blues supporting mate about it & said I'd lend it to him. One of his daughters gave Brilliance & Brutality to him before I'd finished reading my book.

We both agreed that it's one of the best sports books we've ever read.

It gives a great insight into both clubs & also a little bit into the VFL at the time.

Thoroughly recommend it.
Yeah I told a Carlton fan I know there's a Carlton version out there so he got it as a Xmas gift, and it's still on there website. There's is on '72, ours is on '73 :cupgold

Screenshot_20240107_202703_Samsung Internet.jpg

My take on Lids is that he was the athlete player. Didn't have a football mind set. All the tools - speed skill marking - just didn't know where to place himself during a game. Give him some of Riewoldt's football brain and Lids would have been a super star
Not sure I buy that , he was elite in most kpis , wrong place wrong time was telling for his destiny

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Came across this bookstore, got some good stuff on there.

Screenshot_20240107_204332_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240107_204401_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240107_204305_Samsung Internet.jpg

Cotch Dimma and their wives had a close relationship. Dimma leaving his wife, affects the Cotchin couple. TBH, 2021 presented a new rule that we didn't adapt to and soft cap cuts & COVID fines meant assistant coaches were lost too.

Melbourne 2021 was in and out of lockdown.

I saw win vs Brizzy at Metricon and win over the Giants in Melbourne. Athletes switch off distractions once a game starts

We played mixed footy but were out of the 8 on % late in the year. Martin getting serious injury was unprecedented.
The book "The Hard Way" by Konrad Marshall on the 2020 season now reads like a Mills and Boon title.

Apparently it narrowly beat out the title :
Premiership Tycoon Seduces the Boot Studders Daugher which is now the Mills and Boon title that will never be................... along with other failed titles:

She pooped in the Billionaries Bed
The Greek Prince was No Good in the Sack
Seduced by the Town Bum
The Sheik preferred the Aristocrats Camel

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yes I think that's how I remember it and of course he had a lot of Tiger players in that team! Even though the book was aimed at Tiger supporters, he was vilified by the media for his arrogance. Perhaps he didn't have a manager to stear him in a different direction?
I found the open mike interview with the great man and he confirmed that. He said he was asked to put players in who he would like to have played with in his team.

Also said that the criticism didn’t bother him but who knows?

Did the greatest Skip of all time ever come of second best in a contest ? Hell no , most underrated Tough player of all time

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Only when you pushed him out of the way to get to the front of the line at the KFC in Swan Street.
Must be a tough neighbourhood. Our local KFC has run out of chicken a couple of times. Caused a few expletives from the punters but never a push and shove.

Did the greatest Skip of all time ever come of second best in a contest ? Hell no , most underrated Tough player of all time
Spot on Mr B. A few on here think a team of chimps would lose a footy game. How? The other side wouldn't get hold of the pill!

Reactions: 2 users
Hows Mama in the middle! She means business. Staring down the lens.
And uncle Andy at the back on the right side.
He's all friendly now but when he goes he goes all apeshit.

I aint messing with that chimpfam.
Not to sure about young Cuz at rear in the middle though. Reckon he's way to worried about the possibility of incoming heavy contact. Soft n hearing footsteps, never gunna make it as a premiership player.

Reactions: 1 users
Hows Mama in the middle! She means business. Staring down the lens.
And uncle Andy at the back on the right side.
He's all friendly now but when he goes he goes all apeshit.

I aint messing with that chimpfam.

The one at the front reminds me of Shorty during Dimma's pep talk at halftime of the 2020 GF.

The group message names Lids, the rest is left to the readers imagination.

I went to Lids, you tell me what you think after reading.
I have basically finished the book now Scoop.
I am a bit bemused by Cotchin’s comments on Deledio. He refers to unresolved tensions… Not sure what they are.
I actually didn’t like some of the comments. The comment about him posting that the wheels would fall off in 2017 in a RFC a group chat were strange to me. Firstly that Lids was in a group chat showed he still had relationships with Richmond players and I think the comments could have been flippant, remember he was playing for the giants who were flying at the time. I don’t know the facts but I don’t get why he wrote about it in the book.
I enjoyed the book but I wouldn’t say it is a literary classic !!

I’m halfway through and pretty disappointed so far. Hopefully the 2nd half is a more interesting read.