TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

so we can't compare any situation to any other situation? OK then

Every situation is different, but we can look at similarities.

It is staggering. But I disagree with any suggesting that the attitudes, culture and politics that resulted in the WW2 and the Holocaust were all unique to Germany. Fascism was big in the UK and the US, not as big, but still big. Its a myth that all germans supported the Nazis, and its also a myth that all English and Americans were against the Nazis. Us good, them evil. White people, the KKK were bashing and murdering people for hundreds of years until the mid 1960s and people sat by and did next to nothing until attitudes in the North reached a tipping point, 20 years after WW2.

Apples and Oranges maybe, but the fact remains, Hitler and Goring copied Southern US legislation to institute discimination against a race of people.

Why did it tip over into catastrophe in Germany and not elsewhere? To begin to answer that question, you have to make comparisons. Does Germany just have a higher proportion of evil people? A lower proportion of compassionate people? Is it down to the uniqueness of Hitler and his obsessiveness and effectiveness as a leader?
Sure. Let’s compare the situation of having a beer v having a glass of milk whilst we’re at it then.

Acknowledging the domestic ‘Jim Crow’ discriminatory issues of a few southern states in the USA at the time, I’m not really buying into it being a strong parallel for what occurred in Germany between 1924 and 1945 which resulted in the extermination of over 6.5 million Jews and a world war that claimed directly and indirectly over 80 million people.

Sure. Let’s compare the situation of having a beer v having a glass of milk whilst we’re at it then.

Acknowledging the domestic ‘Jim Crow’ discriminatory issues of a few southern states in the USA at the time, I’m not really buying into it being a strong parallel for what occurred in Germany between 1924 and 1945 which resulted in the extermination of over 6.5 million Jews and a world war that claimed directly and indirectly over 80 million people.

Eugenics old son.

America invented it, nazis elaborated on it

Like buying a stubby, and putting a big scoop of icecream in it and making it a spider

Theres gotta be a netflix series or three in that?

Berlin Beer spiders of Southern America.

Wish i had a hermetically sealed vacuum entertainment room

Last edited:

OK then, so how do we attempt to answer your question?

About a quarter of Australians in 2023 thinks voting No to indigenous constitutional recognition and representation

Is right.

Apologies in advance for any extrapolation beyond that particular TV script.
Not sure how a country actually offering up a vote and potential 25% negative response can even remotely be compared to the violent and horrific actions and direct state imposed laws of 1933-1945 that went on unabated, en masse in Germany. Drawing a loooong bow there I'm afraid.

Reactions: 1 user
Eugenics old son.

America invented it, nazis elaborated on it

Like buying a stubby, and putting a big scoop of icecream in it and making it a spider

Theres gotta be a netflix series or three in that?

Berlin Beer spiders of Southern America.

Wish i had a hermetically sealed vacuum entertainment room
Get it right ezy. Certain southern states invented them, not America. And those southern states had those laws dismantled. And Germany largely only copied the inter racial laws of those states which they expanded upon to include amongst many other things, horrific, en masse genocide. I cant recall Kentucky or Alabama invoking laws to send hundreds of thousands of black Americans off to concentration camps. Again, real loooong bow to be drawing. Real loooong.

I cant recall Kentucky or Alabama invoking laws to send hundreds of thousands of black Americans off to concentration camps. Again, real loooong bow to be drawing. Real loooong.
You actually reckon the idea of Kentucky or Alabama killing black Americans in concentration camps is a crazy idea?

• Haha
Not sure how a country actually offering up a vote and potential 25% negative response can even remotely be compared to the violent and horrific actions and direct state imposed laws of 1933-1945 that went on unabated, en masse in Germany. Drawing a loooong bow there I'm afraid.

far out,

you watched the Nazi show and posed the question

'how do people stand by and let that happen'. at least that's how I read it. maybe it was in the script?

and I point out,

that we systematically bludgeoned, raped and poisoned a few hundred thousand indigenous Australians (without drilling down the numbers or offending anyone, possibly a more successful attempt at genocide than the Nazis?),

and we've got a chance to make small amends, in real life,

and a significant proportion of us will chose not to.

if you can't see the relevance,

I can only suggest you take a look at Love Island?

Get it right ezy. Certain southern states invented them, not America. And those southern states had those laws dismantled. And Germany largely only copied the inter racial laws of those states which they expanded upon to include amongst many other things, horrific, en masse genocide. I cant recall Kentucky or Alabama invoking laws to send hundreds of thousands of black Americans off to concentration camps. Again, real loooong bow to be drawing. Real loooong.

clearly you consume your entertainment pretty literally and stick to the script.

that's fine.

OK then, so how do we attempt to answer your question?
Read my first post and then Ian's.

For all intents and purposes, Germany was never a true democratic, free willed state. It was used to quasi totalitarianism and accepted the autocratic state controlled government of Hitler and the Nazis because it was familiar with it. Just that they they were susceptible to the true, underlying evils that were made easier to digest through the expert propaganda fed to them. But by the time they realised the extent of what they had opened the door to, it was too late. That's about the best I can conclude.

Last edited:
You actually reckon the idea of Kentucky or Alabama killing black Americans in concentration camps is a crazy idea?

them cotton farms was just good honest hard work snake

hard work never killed anyone.

oh, wait

far out,

you watched the Nazi show and posed the question

'how do people stand by and let that happen'. at least that's how I read it. maybe it was in the script?

and I point out,

that we systematically bludgeoned, raped and poisoned a few hundred thousand indigenous Australians (without drilling down the numbers or offending anyone, possibly a more successful attempt at genocide than the Nazis?),

and we've got a chance to make small amends, in real life,

and a significant proportion of us will chose not to.

if you can't see the relevance,

I can only suggest you take a look at Love Island?
Yeah but you're trying to compare 1700's Australia to 1933 Germany. That's not really an answer in my book. (Neither is a vague and incorrect reference to southern USA state laws either for that matter.)

Sure there's racial issues across the globe, most of the time. But comparing the Australian Indigenous vote to 1933-1945 Nazi Germany is again a very looong bow by you. Very long. Do you seriously compare Australians that might vote No to those who may have endorsed Nazi policy between 1933-1945 ?

That's not the answer to my question. C'mon. You're better than that. Try again.

Again, not much of a response. Is making stuff up that never happened the best you've got as well ? Geepers.
I understand it never happened, but you honestly reckon its a crazy idea? Lets look at what did happen. Systematic, sustained murder and mayhem without any consequences. And applauded by many. Legal discrimination and total exclusion of blacks from society, used as Goring's legal blueprint. The only reason a holocaust didn't happen was because there was no need for it to happen. Based on the actions of white people, I think its a perfectly reasonable and rational to suggest that they were capable of larger-scale slaughter if the need had arisen in their eyes. I actually think its about as short a bow as you can get. The difference is mostly economic. The Southern Blacks had no money and no power and provided dirt cheap, virtually free labour. The Jews had economic power, they ran businesses, were university professors. The holocaust was justified on the basis the Jews were scum and were taking over the country.

Its normal to develop policy on the basis of what might happen, whether its pulling levers to make something happen or stop something from happening. Historians analyse history all the time looking at why certain things happened and not other things. Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean its a crazy idea.

Last edited:
I understand it never happened, but you honestly reckon its a crazy idea? Lets look at what did happen. Systematic, sustained murder and mayhem without any consequences. And applauded by many. Legal discrimination and total exclusion of blacks from society. The only reason a holocaust didn't happen was because there was no need for it to happen. Based on the actions of white people, I think its a perfectly reasonable and rational to suggest that they were capable of larger-scale slaughter if the need had arisen in their eyes. I actually think its about as short a bow as you can get. The difference is mostly economic. The Southern Blacks had no money and no power and provided dirt cheap, virtually free labour. The Jews had economic power, they ran businesses, were university professors. The holocaust was justified on the basis the Jews were scum and were taking over the country.
C'mon. That's all pie in the sky stuff tigersnake. Given that a Civil War erupted in the USA which was largely formulated off the desire by the Northern states and Lincoln to emancipate American negros in the 1800's, do you seriously think that Southern states would pursue, and the US government would have allowed, a "Negro holocaust" in the 1930's ?

I mean c'mon. Really ? Really ? Have a think about that.

Last edited:
C'mon. That's all pie in the sky stuff tigersnake. Given that a Civil War erupted in the USA which was largely formulated off the desire by the Northern states and Lincoln to emancipate American negros in the 1800's, do you seriously think that Southern states would pursue, and the US government would have allowed a "Negro holocaust" in the 1930's ?

I mean c'mon. Really ? Really ? Have a think about that.
I'm thinking. I'm more interested in the capacity and willingness of people to do it.

There was no economic driver for it to happen, and if there was and they embarked on it the North would step in as you say. But would the South have done it if they could have, and felt they needed to? Based on their laws, policies and actions, would they have been willing if they were able? Were Southern Americans that different to Germans in the 30s and 40s?

I'm thinking. I'm more interested in the capacity and willingness of people to do it.

There was no economic driver for it to happen, and if there was and they embarked on it the North would step in as you say. But would the South have done it if they could have, and felt they needed to? Based on their laws, policies and actions, would they have been willing if they were able? Were Southern Americans that different to Germans in the 30s and 40s?
Your trying to compare a localised (southern USA state) situation that does not have anywhere near the content and scale of actions when compared to an entire nation (Germany) and then trying to bridge the massive gap by making up hypotheticals. And further, the REALITY is, that that smaller localised situation in those southern USA states dissipated snake .....whereas in Germany it went to unfathomable levels. So the southern USA reference doesn't really cut it for me.

You'd be better off making a comparison with Stalin's Russia as an explanation, or reference, as to how events like 1933-45 Germany can eventuate.