TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
My 18yr old has just started watching Mr Inbetween.

'How good is it Dad? Even better because it's set in Australia. Can relate to the culture.'

True enough son.(y)

Then it dawned on me how little quality Australian content he's probably watched growing up compared with our generation, due to the proliferation of streaming services & the pandemic. Not ideal.:confused:
Best Australian TV we’ve created in the past 10-15 years was Puberty Blues and we only got 2 seasons.

Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
My 18yr old has just started watching Mr Inbetween.

'How good is it Dad? Even better because it's set in Australia. Can relate to the culture.'

True enough son.(y)

Then it dawned on me how little quality Australian content he's probably watched growing up compared with our generation, due to the proliferation of streaming services & the pandemic. Not ideal.:confused:
Its good. Very dark at times, but good. Very difficult line to tread, but he does it well. I was watching it thinking it was very Melbourne gangster, which I found a little odd because its set in Sydney. Then I found out Scott Ryan is from Melbourne and the character and pilot were developed there which explained it.

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Best Australian TV we’ve created in the past 10-15 years was Puberty Blues and we only got 2 seasons.
I'm voting for some of the comedy (but I never watched puberty blues)

Utopia is so good.
Kath and Kim (15-20 years ago though)
The Castle (25 years old)

I wrote this down then realise I am seriously dated.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched 2 eps of Ten Pound Poms on Stan. Quickly turned from not so much about the TPPs but just a melodrama soap. One character is in a car that kills a kid, another has robbed his own workplace, another is chasing a son. Won’t be watching a third ep.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008

Utopia is so good.

Haven’t heard of Utopia but I see it’s a well reviewed Australian show so thanks I’m sold.

Puberty Blues definitely worth a watch, especially if you were a 70’s/80’s kid. Was set before my time but thought it was fantastic.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
It is great, and funny, but it always seems more like a doco than a comedy to me.
That's the scary thing. When you talk to people who work in government their initial reaction is that is a doco.

At least that's the vibe.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Utopia is so good.

If you were really dated you would have watched Puberty Blues at the cinema 42 years ago.

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Its good. Very dark at times, but good. Very difficult line to tread, but he does it well. I was watching it thinking it was very Melbourne gangster, which I found a little odd because its set in Sydney. Then I found out Scott Ryan is from Melbourne and the character and pilot were developed there which explained it.

Yeah, that's one nit-pick I have with the show - there are both Melbourne and Sydney things going on, Ray's taste for dimsims and soy sauce for example. But to me it exists in a mythical Melbourne/Sydney hybrid city, which is just fine.

Great show.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, that's one nit-pick I have with the show - there are both Melbourne and Sydney things going on, Ray's taste for dimsims and soy sauce for example. But to me it exists in a mythical Melbourne/Sydney hybrid city, which is just fine.

Great show.
Yeah I'm 100% fine with it. Just found it interesting. I had some up-close interactions/ observations with the Melb gangster world of the early 90s, peak Chopper era, had a close mate through work who had grown up in that world, brother was still in it, but my mate had gone straight. But as we all know you can never fully escape it. I was watching show thinking he has nailed the Melb vibe, but its in Sydney. Then found out the orig pilot/ short film is set in Melb.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Haven’t heard of Utopia but I see it’s a well reviewed Australian show so thanks I’m sold.

Puberty Blues definitely worth a watch, especially if you were a 70’s/80’s kid. Was set before my time but thought it was fantastic.
Utopia is awesome. Borderline documentary of government and councils. Dunno where Working Dog get all their material but it is so spot on.

I love how Mr Inbetween comes up every 6 months with a new viewer and the adulation's pile up again.

Reactions: 3 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Great show.
He seems to support GWS.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah I'm 100% fine with it. Just found it interesting. I had some up-close interactions/ observations with the Melb gangster world of the early 90s, peak Chopper era, had a close mate through work who had grown up in that world, brother was still in it, but my mate had gone straight. But as we all know you can never fully escape it. I was watching show thinking he has nailed the Melb vibe, but its in Sydney. Then found out the orig pilot/ short film is set in Melb.
you can watch the original "The Magician" on Youtube - it's very low-budget and there are sound synchronisation issues but worth a look if you are interested.

mainlandy

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2004
Mont Albert
Utopia is awesome. Borderline documentary of government and councils. Dunno where Working Dog get all their material but it is so spot on.

I love how Mr Inbetween comes up every 6 months with a new viewer and the adulation's pile up again.
There are new episodes of Utopia June 7

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched the first 2 eps of The Clearing (a fictional version of Anne Hamilton Byrnes and The Family from up around the Dandenong in the 70s and 80s.) Ok, super slow and disjointed but I’ll persevere.