TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
regarding Pippen, so the owner Jerry told him not to sign?
Pigs arse, thats easy to say 30 years later.
He reminds me of a former Carlton boss.

And what would we expect Richmond do in similar circumstances?
Renegotiate to do the right thing for the player and team harmony. To keep the band together.
It would be similar to Rance signing for 7 years near the end of his 3rd or 4th year.

And yep, been comparing it to Dusty and his league domination. More flags needed before an aussie last dance!

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
On a completely different note I saw one of the most fascinating sports documentaries I've ever seen last night on Foxtel/ESPN, called Catching Hell, about an incident in a baseball game in America.

I wasn't at all familiar with the incident but it was an amazing story and you don't need an ounce of interest in Baseball to enjoy it.
It is a fascinating story TBR. The Cubs were a franchise that missed numerous opportunities to win the World Series, and many fans vented their frustration at the fan who tried to catch the outfield ball. He ended up changing his name and basically going into hiding to avoid the fans.

Another good doco looks at the Bill Buckner mis-field in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. The Boston Red Sox were looking for their first championship since 1918 and this error forced a Game 7, which the New York Mets ended up winning. The anguish over that incident lasted many years, akin to missing a goal from the goal square in the final minute of a Grand Final.

The four falls of Buffalo details the Buffalo Bills making, but losing 4 Superbowls in a row. The first loss was a kicker missing a field goal in the final seconds to give the Giants the championship, then the road to get back to the same position for the next 3 seasons. The players rewatching the last kick and saying "I still expect this to go through" is painful to see. The interviews with the kicker are compelling viewing, including speaking at a parade the team received when they returned to Buffalo. It does make me extremely grateful that we have nailed our chances in 2017 & 2019.

Project 11 was just released on ESPN. It covers Washington quarterback Alex Smith's horrific broken leg and his rod to recovery. It is a truly inspiring story, where he visits a military hospital and talks to patients who have war wounds and amputations. At one stage, his family are told by the docs that they are in life saving mode first, then leg saving mode and it is in that order. Well worth a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Another good doco looks at the Bill Buckner mis-field in Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. The Boston Red Sox were looking for their first championship since 1918 and this error forced a Game 7, which the New York Mets ended up winning. The anguish over that incident lasted many years, akin to missing a goal from the goal square in the final minute of a Grand Final.

That is a good doco. A sporting tragedy. It was the most basic of fielding errors (think Tom Derrickx dropped mark against Gold Coast as an AFL equivalent) and it cost the Red Sox the World Series. They were home and hosed to that point and about to be rid of the Curse of the Bambino after 68 years. That is my first real memory of baseball. For some reason it was telecast on Channel 9 and I found myself watching and supporting the Red Sox; probably because I was already a Celtics fan. It took the Red Sox another 18 years to rid themselves of the curse.

Intriguing story.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It is a fascinating story TBR. The Cubs were a franchise that missed numerous opportunities to win the World Series, and many fans vented their frustration at the fan who tried to catch the outfield ball. He ended up changing his name and basically going into hiding to avoid the fans.

The four falls of Buffalo details the Buffalo Bills making, but losing 4 Superbowls in a row. The first loss was a kicker missing a field goal in the final seconds to give the Giants the championship, then the road to get back to the same position for the next 3 seasons. The players rewatching the last kick and saying "I still expect this to go through" is painful to see. The interviews with the kicker are compelling viewing, including speaking at a parade the team received when they returned to Buffalo. It does make me extremely grateful that we have nailed our chances in 2017 & 2019.

Project 11 was just released on ESPN. It covers Washington quarterback Alex Smith's horrific broken leg and his rod to recovery. It is a truly inspiring story, where he visits a military hospital and talks to patients who have war wounds and amputations. At one stage, his family are told by the docs that they are in life saving mode first, then leg saving mode and it is in that order. Well worth a look.

I've seen all of those (except project 11) and loved them all.

On the Last Dance thought Jordan came off worse in episodes 5 and 6. And massive gambling addiction.

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
That is a good doco. A sporting tragedy. It was the most basic of fielding errors (think Tom Derrickx dropped mark against Gold Coast as an AFL equivalent) and it cost the Red Sox the World Series. They were home and hosed to that point and about to be rid of the Curse of the Bambino after 68 years. That is my first real memory of baseball. For some reason it was telecast on Channel 9 and I found myself watching and supporting the Red Sox; probably because I was already a Celtics fan. It took the Red Sox another 18 years to rid themselves of the curse.

Intriguing story.
Spot on Ridley. The Tom D example is very apt. The Bambino curse is similar to the Dees sacking Norm Smith!

Ossie

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 15, 2012
I've seen all of those (except project 11) and loved them all.

On the Last Dance thought Jordan came off worse in episodes 5 and 6. And massive gambling addiction.
That's great JB. Try to watch the Project 11. I am sure you will find it very interesting indeed.

Ps - what is going on with MJ's eyes? They look seriously weird!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Spot on Ridley. The Tom D example is very apt. The Bambino curse is similar to the Dees sacking Norm Smith!
Let's hope the Dees have to wait another 30 odd years to get to a similar time frame as the Red Sox!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Finished watching the Last Dance - great viewing. MJ was a competitive beast and his achievements were more above the shoulders than below.
Complete mismanagement by the GM and owners to break up the team and start a re-build after 98. Could have won one or two more, as MJ admitted he was at his peak mentally at the time. Should have gone to another team to test himself in another environment. Freak.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Finished watching the Last Dance - great viewing. MJ was a competitive beast and his achievements were more above the shoulders than below.
Complete mismanagement by the GM and owners to break up the team and start a re-build after 98. Could have won one or two more, as MJ admitted he was at his peak mentally at the time. Should have gone to another team to test himself in another environment. Freak.
Didn't he finish his career at the Washington Wizards?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Seemed like Jerry Kraus - who set up a great team and organisation - just couldn't let his personal feelings and commitment to that decision go.

We only really get Jordan's perspective but it really looks that way.