TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Before I look for it, please tell me it's about Anti-Nowhere League type punk and not Green Day "punk"
I think you will like it. Starts with Iggy Pop interview and talks about MC5, The Slits, New York Dolls and other punk acts from the 70's that i can't quite remember. Then it moves on to the Ramones, Sex Pistols etc. The interview with Johnny Rotten is gold. And a lot of backhanders to Malcolm McLaren.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I think you will like it. Starts with Iggy Pop interview and talks about MC5, The Slits, New York Dolls and other punk acts from the 70's that i can't quite remember. Then it moves on to the Ramones, Sex Pistols etc. The interview with Johnny Rotten is gold. And a lot of backhanders to Malcolm McLaren.
Iggy Pop and The Stooges at Bluesfest last year was one of the best gigs I have ever seen. 90 straight balls-out (not literally this time) minutes from go to woah. The day before he turned 72. Legend.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Its probably old, but I watched The Dawn Wall the other night.

thought about it for a week or so afterwards.

incredible docs of an incredible feat.

was this the climb that dimma was using as story motivation in 2017?

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Its probably old, but I watched The Dawn Wall the other night.

thought about it for a week or so afterwards.

incredible docs of an incredible feat.

was this the climb that dimma was using as story motivation in 2017?
I've never heard of this but will check it out. Have you seen Free Solo?

I'm a couple of eps in to The Plot Against America, another in the reimagined history genre (invented? popularised? by Tarantino). It what-ifs an America where Charles Lindberg runs for president (and wins) against FDR on a platform to keep America out of WW2. Obvious Trump allegory but so far a good watch.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
"Punk" on SBS OnDemand is good for those who like music, especially punk (obviously)
Gave it a viewing, Johnny Lydon as always the best value. Geez he’s filled out though.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
started The Last Dance last night. Not a basketball fan and knew very little about the Bulls.

It was weird. I kept drawing analogies between Dusty and MJ,

and I started to get melancholy imagining dusty sitting in a big white leather chair in a white mansion on the Gold Coast, talking about his career in the passed tense.

is it fair to say that Scotty Pippin isn't very bright?

Either that or his manager was a total crook, signing a 7 year chicken feed deal?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm the same, a casual observer at best but my take was he had grown up in a really difficult household and he feared not being able to provide for his family, so took the long deal for security.

I saw somewhere that he ended up making 120 million or something similar out of playing so he obviously cut some good deals after that!

yeah I reckon.

I was trying to make a footy analogy for Pippin.

do you reckon he was to MJ what Roughy was to Buddy?

Jon Browns Alistair Lynch?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It seems to me like he was a better player than that. A superstar playing next to a beyond superstar.

Maybe Simon Black to Jordan's Voss?

yeah that was my take.

I always said I would have had Roughy at Richmond before Buddy though.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I dont watch any tv apart from the footy.

I signed up to Netflix & watched Sunderland till I die, really enjoyed season 1, season 2 not so much.

Anyone think of Gill the Dill when they see / hear Charlie Methven ?, couldn't stand the bloke, maybe thats why I didn't enjoy season 2

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
started The Last Dance last night. Not a basketball fan and knew very little about the Bulls.

and I started to get melancholy imagining dusty sitting in a big white leather chair in a white mansion on the Gold Coast, talking about his career in the passed tense.

Either that or his manager was a total crook, signing a 7 year chicken feed deal?

Neither - Pippen had a big extended family to support and really needed the security of a long term deal. No-one really knew that the NBA and salaries would really take off like they did - remember the NBA actually boomed largely because of Michael Jordan. He became a global phenomenon of a size that we've never really seen since.

In hindsight Pippin seems like a *smile*, but the Bulls were kind of harsh not to consider renegotiating. A contract is a contract but it really cost them in terms of team harmony with Pippin sitting out and nearly leaving.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

$18M was alot of money in 1991.

Hopefully Dusty is reminiscing about his 5 flags

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I think they said it was against league rules to renegotiate it? That was why the owner told him not to sign it in the first place.

Could be Richo. I remember the owner saying "if you sign a contract don't come back into my office until it's due to expire".

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Could be Richo. I remember the owner saying "if you sign a contract don't come back into my office until it's due to expire".
He had to look after his family - his dad and brother were both in wheelchairs - so he needed the security of a long term deal. So considering the circumstances it was a dog act by the Bulls not to re-negotiate.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Worth a read if you want to understand the Pippen contract story

interesting read.

I still dont reckon having wheelchair bound family members precludes savvy negotiation.

you could flip that and say he should have gone harder to feed and shoe The Arkansas 11

I reckon all things considered, Scotty and/or his managers *smile* it up royally and then sooked a fair bit.

I dont think 'Chicago Spivs diddle Arkansas hayseed' would be a single-use headline?

Did he ever go the Jason Akermanis (who was relatively underpaid also I believe), and pay per play, or auction memorabilia and stuff?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Worth a read if you want to understand the Pippen contract story

yeah, good article. My reading is that yes, Pippen took a bad deal too early. But the Bulls were pricks about it.

Anyway he ended up with 130mill after his career ended so don't feel too sorry for him.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm a couple of eps in to The Plot Against America, another in the reimagined history genre (invented? popularised? by Tarantino). It what-ifs an America where Charles Lindberg runs for president (and wins) against FDR on a platform to keep America out of WW2. Obvious Trump allegory but so far a good watch.
Binge-watched the last four eps last night. Very good show.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The Man in the High Castle is a good historical counterfactual - the Axis powers win WWII and Japan and Germany split the US down the middle - ze Germans on the east and the Japanese take the west. The book by Philip K *smile* is great, but the TV series is pretty good too. Until the last series which loses it a bit.