U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
you dont condone it, but it sounds like you arent concerned by armed police attacking journalists covering their actions.

that would be like someone saying they dont condone the looting, but plenty of worse things have happened.

also i asked a question, allowing l2rsd2 to clarify his opinion.
Alright cool.
But you did it again.
Now i sound like i am not concerned by violence. Come on B17, you are better than that.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Haven't seen the bible pic and plenty of skullduggery going on in the edit area, but the bloke who took this one reckons it ain’t photoshopped.
Richard Grant (@richardgrant88) Tweeted:
There was color correction and cropping so it could look better on Instagram when I posted it. I have stated before that I do not believe in the 1/500th of a second that the picture was made in that the officer was aiming at the man with the child. Richard Grant (@richardgrant88) Tweeted:
This is an uncropped photo with no color correction. I used a 24 -70mm lens at 70mm and f 3.5. https://t.co/5BQbMpRUV3
And btw @HR I don't feel any shame for posting it, if that was your inference. I posted it originally to show what a *smile* up place they have over there. ... on both sides of the argument.
Not my inference regarding your post 74.
Richard grant is a d!ck, to post it and then act in denial of what the photo portrays.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
There were pros and cons. Reaganomics ended the recession and brought inflation to heel. It's not going to work without economic growth.

Using a modern prism, you could build a case for or against any leader. Lincoln is customarily at the top of these lists.

“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races.”

- Honest Abe
It was a response to a historical rating of US presidents and will therefore by definition be with 20-20 historical hindsight

There has been plenty of economic growth in the US since then with no increase in real wages and there is now the greatest inequality of wealth in the US in it's modern history . Trickle down economics has since morphed into trickle up

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Anarchy is being used incorrectly as a euphemism for violence and civil disorder.

Broadly, In the media of all persuasions, by political leaders of all persuasions (except anarchic leaders, cause they are oxymorons),

and on here.

Anarchy doesn't mean violence and civil disorder.

Giardisis is the closest PRE has to an anarchist. No government, no authority, ultimate individual freedom.

Like every single other political system, it has a utopian ideal, and generally a dystopian reality.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Anarchy is being used incorrectly as a euphemism for violence and civil disorder.

Broadly, In the media of all persuasions, by political leaders of all persuasions (except anarchic leaders, cause they are oxymorons),

and on here.

Giardisis is the closest PRE has to an anarchist. No government, no authority, ultimate individual freedom.

Like every single other political system, it has a utopian ideal, and generally a dystopian reality.

Yes. Rioting is an extreme form of civil disobedience. Depends what you mean by rioting - if it's resisting violent or unjust police actions, throwing stuff, then it can be completely valid - look at Hong Kong for example. People can resist brutal police/military actions if they are undemocratic. Look at South Korea and Indonesia - there was a lot of rioting and major civil disobedience that had to happen for those countries to transition into democracy. If people just stayed home because of "law and order" then those countries would still be dictatorships. Democracy is hard won and easily lost.

South Korean student demonstrations - as in most things, Koreans are incredibly well-prepared and diligent. Serious business.

Looting on the other hand is criminality - it's opportunistic theft. You might say that is justified for people who can't eat or who have nothing, but that's largely not the case here. Beating/killing innocent people is criminal.

Anarchism is a political ideology, with its own rules and values. And yeah, anarchy does have rules.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Malcolm McLaren was to punk what Stock, Aitken & Waterman were to 80's music, or even Chapman & Chinn were to the 70's scene

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Even with regards to the Sex Pistols, Mclaren saying it was a scam was part of his self-promotion. There's a reason he released a film/album called "The Great Rock N Roll Swindle".

Anyway, back to the looting

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

and on here.

eZyT, have to correct you here, Gia is not an anarchist in any way shape or form. He is what the Americans call libertarian (the European use of the word libertarian refers more to anarchists, as the term did maybe 50 years ago in the USA).

Anarchists oppose private property, Gia supports private property, he is not an anarchist and would probably not be happy being described as anything like an anarchist. If you really want to know what anarchists think, and bear in mind it (predictably really!) isn't a monolithic ideology like Marxism or Neo-Liberalism, have a look here: https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/the-anarchist-faq-editorial-collective-an-anarchist-faq but bear in mind that anarchists disagree on a lot of things (note, it is an anarchist FAQ, not the anarchist FAQ). The things that really define anarchism would be non-hierarchical power structures (should point out here, leaders are fine, rulers are not - there is a very big difference) and opposition to private property (although private possessions is a contested issue, the main opposition is to private ownership of the means of production).

You are correct that anarchy does not mean violence and disorder, it means organising society without hierarchical power - ironically it is all about organsing society as hierarchies make things easier, anarchy is damned hard.

Anyway, I digress.

Back to the topic at hand.

Apparently the freedom-loving right on this site are now telling us we shouldn't be allowed to take kids to a demonstration. Apparently, if you have children, you lose the free-speech right to go to a demo unless you can get child minding or are willing to risk the repressive arm of the state harming your kids. [sarcasm] Wow, sounds just like the peace loving society I'd want to be part of [/sarcasm]. I dunno, maybe we shouldn't take kids to the footy either, they could be harmed, but then again, Gil brought in those crowd control thugs which the freedom-loving right wingers here had no problem with 'cos that's all fine :rolleyes:. After all, you take the risk if you let your children out of the house, apparently. We just shouldn't expect to be able to venture out of our well defended bunkers with our kids should we??

As for riots, as a few have pointed out above: how do you think dictatorships have been overthrown by the people? By asking nicely? There comes a time when it is right to rebel (just ask the Americans, they're not a colony of the UK any more and I don't think they got independence by respecting the "Law and Order" imposed by the Brits). Black Americans still have to put up with racism, police violence etc, even 60 years after the March on Washington. They are sick of asking nicely and getting nowhere, tried it, didn't work.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Apparently the freedom-loving right on this site are now telling us we shouldn't be allowed to take kids to a demonstration. Apparently, if you have children, you lose the free-speech right to go to a demo unless you can get child minding or are willing to risk the repressive arm of the state harming your kids. [sarcasm]

It's a free world. Rubber bullets are flying, coppers are being shot, innocent people assaulted, buildings burned but unless your city has a curfew, there is no law that says you can't be in amongst it.

Riot - a game the whole family can play.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There was once this thing called the Boston Tea Party too, I wonder if Lee has heard of it

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
eZyT, have to correct you here, Gia is not an anarchist in any way shape or form. He is what the Americans call libertarian (the European use of the word libertarian refers more to anarchists, as the term did maybe 50 years ago in the USA).

Anarchists oppose private property, Gia supports private property, he is not an anarchist and would probably not be happy being described as anything like an anarchist. If you really want to know what anarchists think, and bear in mind it (predictably really!) isn't a monolithic ideology like Marxism or Neo-Liberalism, have a look here: https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/the-anarchist-faq-editorial-collective-an-anarchist-faq but bear in mind that anarchists disagree on a lot of things (note, it is an anarchist FAQ, not the anarchist FAQ). The things that really define anarchism would be non-hierarchical power structures (should point out here, leaders are fine, rulers are not - there is a very big difference) and opposition to private property (although private possessions is a contested issue, the main opposition is to private ownership of the means of production).

Happily stand corrected D3S.

I guess I dont know what the hell Gia is and I reckon you do.

I also don't really understand Anachism, beyond having a few proper anarchist (lived in squats. wild looking, peaceful, subversive, energetic, scary, vegans. One of em was a ruckman for a suburban footy team) acquaintances at Uni

and recalling them drilling into me, and me getting, that anarchy has been appropriated as euphemism for chaos and violence