U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

Yeah, supposedly corrupt Dem Mayor of Chicago "stuffed ballot boxes" in Illinois to help Kennedy over the line in the state.

Tried to watch JFK again recently, almost unwatchable. That bizarre implication that it was a bunch of corrupt gay cubans? who organised it? If I recall correctly.. the best ever Oliver Stone movie is, as everybody knows, U-Turn.

I stuck it out to the end so the first two hours weren't wasted................

Reactions: 1 user
Can you pardon yourself before you've been convicted of an offence?

Second part first - yes. Ford pardoned Nixon in advance of any charges for any crimes and misdemeanours relating to Watergate.

Apparently there is debate around whether a President can pardon themselves, never been tested. But Trump could pardon everyone else, then resign, get Pence to pardon him, job done. He'll look like an absolute *smile* but hey, also gets him out of those embarrassing scenes when he and Melania have to welcome Joe and Mrs Joe to the WH on Inauguration Day. I don't think he has the stomach for that TBH.

Remember though the President can only pardon people for Federal crimes. He's still vulnerable to prosecution for any offences committed in states. Come on down Ms Letitia James, Attorney General of the State of New York

1604828252080.png

Reactions: 1 user
No he didn't. You didn't even read what he wrote. "I couldn't even get to read to the end of this article because these people appall me."

I think a significant part of the problem is this left/right business. It leaves no room for middle ground or compromise. You're either with us or against us ... on both sides. This is the problem with the inflexibility of two-party systems. And I think that unless democracy can find a way to get rid of them, then its days are numbered.

A few years ago I wrote this post about the political system in Denmark. When I first got here I thought it was crazy but now I think it's the only way forward.
23. If you’re interested further reading. The Swiss form of government makes for interesting further analysis. Some similar characteristics to what you discussed on Denmark previously with the range of parties and nuanced viewpoints getting representation.

It goes further too, in that they have a collective head of State (the Federal Council) rather than a winner takes all Presidency. The Federal Council is made up of 7 members elected from the Federal Assembly (Swiss Parliament) and so generally has a similar proportionate make up of the parties as the Federal Assembly. And this 7 member executive acts as cabinet too. So you have a multi-partisan cabinet forced to work collegially with each other.

Each year the Presidency and vice presidency rotates around the table. So members are president for 1 year. Thing is, the President - besides chairing meetings (and cutting a few ribbons and giving extra speeches) - really has no more power than any of the other 6 members of the collective head of state. And they continue on with all of their other ministry duties as normal, taking on the Presidential duties in addition to these other cabinet duties for that year.

Also of note, Switzerland is a Federation of Cantons (States), just as we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
23. If you’re interested further reading. The Swiss form of government makes for interesting further analysis. Some similar characteristics to what you discussed on Denmark previously with the range of parties and nuanced viewpoints getting representation.

It goes further too, in that they have a collective head of State (the Federal Council) rather than a winner takes all Presidency. The Federal Council is made up of 7 members elected from the Federal Assembly (Swiss Parliament) and so generally has a similar proportionate make up of the parties in the Federal Assembly. And this 7 member executive acts as cabinet too. So you have a multi-partisan cabinet forced to work collegially with each other.

Each year the Presidency and vice presidency rotates around the table. So members are president for 1 year. Thing is the President, besides chairing meetings (and cutting a few ribbons and giving extra speeches) really has no more power than any of the other 6 members of the collective head of state. And they continue on with all of their other ministry duties as normal, taking in the Presidential duties in addition to these other cabinet duties for that year.

Also of note, Switzerland is a Federation ofCantons (States), just as we are.

I've read that this system of government is very decentralised - so cantons have their own legislative systems and its much more of a participatory democracy than representative democracy. Citizens in cantons can vote to accept or reject specific legislation via referendum after a petition. Pretty radical really.

I've read that this system of government is very decentralised - so cantons have their own legislative systems and its much more of a participatory democracy than representative democracy. Citizens in cantons can vote to accept or reject specific legislation via referendum after a petition. Pretty radical really.
Correct you are Mr Ant

There is very defined (and accepted) separation of powers between Canton and Federation. So as well as many different nuanced positions being represented in a Government at both Federal and Canton level (in terms of the many different parties governing), there is satisfaction that there still is a fair amount of decision making happening at a local level. There is also the large involvement of the populace in the form of direct democracy (as in referenda) that you point out. Hence, people feel as if they are being heard. So Swiss people have much higher satisfaction and trust in government than most of the rest of the world.

Some other aspects that remind the Political class that they are just another normal citizen. None of this *smile* delusions of grandeur traveling by taxpayer funded limousine. They will travel to Bern from their home Canton to sit in Government by train , with the rest of the population. No first or business class travel unless they pay for an upgrade themselves, out of their own pocket. Once staying in Bern for sittings. They will catch the tram, trolly bus or ride their bike to the houses of Government like a normal citizen.

Plus, the idea of a career politician is not such a common thing there. There seems to be an expectation that Politicians have a profession, that they still keep their hand in and practice while serving as a politician. Again, it creates a political class that is still involved in normal day to day life. Not removed in a Political bubble. So adds to the mutual trust between the general populace and the system of government.

Reactions: 2 users
0IMKvmO.jpg

Lost ground with whitey.

Gained ground with blacks, Hispanics, Asians and 'other'.

There was negligible shift 18-64yo, but older people turned on him. He lost the election because of corona.

Apology please.
Great posting Lee keep up the good work. The media campaign of hate and criticism got the result they were after. Amazing a racist homophobe misogynist managed to get 70m votes. Interesting stat regarding minorities and guilt ridden whiteys. Expecting now to see large scale protests and property destruction from the right. Nice of the left to call for peace and unity. Imagine if Trump had won. lol.

So Lee, with a secret ballot, and plenty of mail in and early votes making exit polls unreliable, how do we know who voted for which candidate? This is a valid question given that this will be much harder to determine for the 2020 election as exit polls are the main way we can find out voting by demographic. Also, what is the source of your chart?

But on a lighter note, there's this:

DS

Last edited:
Very apt that it was next to a sex shop as well given the sting that was done by Borat on Guliani. He could "tuck his shirt into his trousers" and do a presser in one visit. ;)
Giuliani's press conference held next to a sex shop explains why Trump reckons he was stiffed.

Last edited:
Great posting Lee keep up the good work. The media campaign of hate and criticism got the result they were after. Amazing a racist homophobe misogynist managed to get 70m votes.

I'm confused, are you saying he's not a racist misogynist? Because Trump stands condemned by his own words and actions on that front.

eg. "grab her by the pussy"

on racism
and who could forget this regarding his general bigotry:

The fact that 70m still voted for him is an indication of how *smile* up the US is. As for media Trump had plenty of support from Murdoch, facebook and others. Plus the MSM still cannot help but give Trump supporters like Steve Bannon a platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
0IMKvmO.jpg

Lost ground with whitey.

Gained ground with blacks, Hispanics, Asians and 'other'.

There was negligible shift 18-64yo, but older people turned on him. He lost the election because of corona.

Apology please.
I dont know the accuracy of that graph, but my point about your delusion is believing Trump lost because of the media.
Trump lost because he is an ordinary human being and an ordinary President.

Reactions: 3 users