U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What needs to happen in the USA is more people get out there and vote. None of this would be possible if not for the right wing nutters being very reliable voters and half the country doesn't bother. The Dems need to get more of the vote out (difficult given they make it very hard for you to vote in many areas with partisan election officials) and need to win some states.

DS

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
What needs to happen in the USA is more people get out there and vote. None of this would be possible if not for the right wing nutters being very reliable voters and half the country doesn't bother. The Dems need to get more of the vote out (difficult given they make it very hard for you to vote in many areas with partisan election officials) and need to win some states.

DS
The Democrats won the last election so there are plenty of voters.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

A lot of them don't vote all the way through things like state positions and it is much harder to vote if you live in a black neighbourhood. The Dems need to get out the vote at the mid terms or they will lose the House, it will be worse in the Senate and the State Houses will stay in Republican hands.

DS

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Democrats might win the popular vote however gerrymandering and electoral system means repubs win elections or end up with higher representation than should be the case. Pissant states like Kentucky (Mitch MConnell) with 5M population end up being able to push agendas in the senate that do not benefit or would not be supported by the rest of the populous. From my limited knowledge I see the Dems trying to play fair with all voters in mind and relying on norms. Repubs play nasty like stacking the supreme court with dud judges and vote against everything Dems bring to the floor even if it'll benefit their *smile* poor states most. Dems need to get the gloves off bc they need a serious majority. Too many dems on the periphery getting dark money to vote with the repubs. Worst case if they lose during the midterms repubs will be setup to do some serious irreversible damage. DoJ also needs to pull the finger out and get to the bottom of Jan 6th. US is in absolute liquorice ATM.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
They’ve totally lost their way. Beholdent to red neck, religious, right wing nutters all over the place. It’s not impossible if this continues, that in time, a number of progressive states eg New York, California, Massachusetts and co create a cessation from the Union.
Too polite. The US is *smile*

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Democrats might win the popular vote however gerrymandering and electoral system means repubs win elections or end up with higher representation than should be the case. Pissant states like Kentucky (Mitch MConnell) with 5M population end up being able to push agendas in the senate that do not benefit or would not be supported by the rest of the populous. From my limited knowledge I see the Dems trying to play fair with all voters in mind and relying on norms. Repubs play nasty like stacking the supreme court with dud judges and vote against everything Dems bring to the floor even if it'll benefit their *smile* poor states most. Dems need to get the gloves off bc they need a serious majority. Too many dems on the periphery getting dark money to vote with the repubs. Worst case if they lose during the midterms repubs will be setup to do some serious irreversible damage. DoJ also needs to pull the finger out and get to the bottom of Jan 6th. US is in absolute liquorice ATM.

The US system is deliberately designed so that no one part of government has all the power, it relies on cooperation between the states and the Federal government, between the executive (the equivalent of ministers are not members of congress) and legislature, plus the Supreme Court has a lot of power. The upshot is that the 3 arms of government, as well as the Feds and States, need to negotiate and compromise for the system to work. What the Republicans have decided is that they don't care if the system works and are more than willing to screw the system for their own advantage. The system in the USA does not function properly if one group decides to just gum it up and the Republicans are happy to do this.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The US system is deliberately designed so that no one part of government has all the power, it relies on cooperation between the states and the Federal government, between the executive (the equivalent of ministers are not members of congress) and legislature, plus the Supreme Court has a lot of power. The upshot is that the 3 arms of government, as well as the Feds and States, need to negotiate and compromise for the system to work. What the Republicans have decided is that they don't care if the system works and are more than willing to screw the system for their own advantage. The system in the USA does not function properly if one group decides to just gum it up and the Republicans are happy to do this.

DS
The Republicans are so divisive, just like the Morrison government was.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
Who will lead the democrats into the next election?
Assuming that "captain bone spurs and everything detestable in a human being' decides to relive his authoritarian fantasy and completely *smile* democracy in the US forever so he can live-out his Putin life style fantasies, whoever does lead the Democrats into the next election they should at the very least be Trump's equal in live debate, in tv presence etc

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I really don't know how Trump is not in jail. He is a treasonous piece of *smile*. It is unbelievable what he did whilst President. Tried to tear down the whole fabric of the largest democracy in the world. Yet there is talk of him running in 2024 o_O

America hey? It's a crying shame.

Reactions: 4 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I really don't know how Trump is not in jail. He is a treasonous piece of *smile*. It is unbelievable what he did whilst President. Tried to tear down the whole fabric of the largest democracy in the world. Yet there is talk of him running in 2024 o_O

there were a few on here who were supporters. it would be interesting to know if they have seen through him yet, or still believe.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007

The overwhelming majority of republicans have in their obsession for power revealed their desire for power over democracy and democratic values. Democracy and its institutions are a wall to be dismantled to these right wing reprobates. The republicans are no longer conservative – they are tyrants.

The Democrats despite their authoritarian woke bent are the only hope.

The US seems to be tottering on authoritarianism and I’m not sure most people recognize this or maybe I’m just a panic merchant..... I don't know. But it really is a crying shame. Despite all her sins & flaws - historic and current - a democratic US is a better world.

Reactions: 1 users