U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Trump's gameplan includes accusing the Democrats of stuff he's guilty of. So he says if the Dems win that'll be the end of elections, when really that's his plan. He's not coming back for four more years. Putin is his idol, he wants the job for life. Daddy's boy wants to be king.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Trump's gameplan includes accusing the Democrats of stuff he's guilty of. So he says if the Dems win that'll be the end of elections, when really that's his plan. He's not coming back for four more years. Putin is his idol, he wants the job for life. Daddy's boy wants to be king.
The prospect of firing squads appears closer than before
And ya better kiss the ring of that king! ....... 28 seconds in.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I believe the 10 commandments have been redacted in his version

Nothing wrong with six of them commandments, the other four are just for the god botherin boogie man believers.
Wonder if Trumpsters version of the bible has a bit of Stormy playing Mary Magdalene? That might be worthy of a bit of a read.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I'm not sure Trump even realises what he's challenging with this whole presidential immunity argument. He's so focused on himself that he doesn't realise that this trail actually puts the entire fabric of what made America under the microscope.

The whole point of the 3 branches of the US government, were to ensure that no group or individual gained too much power. This is a direct attack on that putting the president over and above the judicial system.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I'm not sure Trump even realises what he's challenging with this whole presidential immunity argument. He's so focused on himself that he doesn't realise that this trail actually puts the entire fabric of what made America under the microscope.

The whole point of the 3 branches of the US government, were to ensure that no group or individual gained too much power. This is a direct attack on that putting the president over and above the judicial system.
I don't understand why is it even relevant to the current case? The acts that he is being charged with happened when he was a candidate prior to the 2016 election not when he was the President. The crazy part is that he isn't disputing that he paid Cohen, only that it was a legal expense. I guess he can't because it happened and there is proof that it happened.

Is he really saying that it is ok to pay someone to keep someone else quiet during a Presidential campaign? It is bizarre if that is the case.

On another note I saw that Niki Haley got 17% of the vote in the latest Presidential primary when she isn't even an official candidate. This is the real danger to Trump, his MAGA base won't be enough to get him elected. The betting agencies in the US have now moved Biden to a very strong favourite, albeit a long way out from the election.

Probably the funniest part of all this are the reports that Trump has a flatulence problem in court ......

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What a disgrace America is.

It looks like the partisan Trump selected Supreme Court judges are going to determine that a US President does have some forms of immunity depending on personal actions or actions as an elected President. They will then send the case back to trial court level for determination.

That will mean two things: this case will not be heard before the November election and if Trump is elected President he’ll instruct the DOJ to drop all charges. And if he isn’t elected then he’ll still have a good chance of being exonerated at trial court level due to the ambiguity the conflicted Supreme Court judges have created.

What a disgrace. And what a bunch of pissweak, conflicted and dishonest Supreme Court judges that have effectively given Trump two channels of escape whilst gutlessly distancing themselves from the fact.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

It looks like the partisan Trump selected Supreme Court judges are going to determine that a US President does have some forms of immunity depending on personal actions or actions as an elected President. They will then send the case back to trial court level for determination.

That will mean two things: this case will not be heard before the November election and if Trump is elected President he’ll instruct the DOJ to drop all charges. And if he isn’t elected then he’ll still have a good chance of being exonerated at trial court level due to the ambiguity the conflicted Supreme Court judges have created.

What a disgrace. And what a bunch of pissweak, conflicted and dishonest Supreme Court judges that have effectively given Trump two channels of escape whilst gutlessly distancing themselves from the fact.
As an aside I am not sure the US DOJ has the power to tell a state jurisdiction to drop a case but there would be enormous pressure of course and as you say a test of states power against the Supreme Court.

Probably what this means is that Trump is not just fighting for the presidency, he is fighting for his personal freedom.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I think you've nailed what Trumps plan is. His defence isn't really trying to prove he didn't do these things (in any of his trials, just trying to prove that he has immunity from prosecution, so basically admitting he's guilty as sin but because he has been president its all good. Corrupt *smile*. As I said above though, this has massive impacts on the future of the US, as it puts the Executive branch way out in terms of power over the Judicial branch when they should have equal power, as written out in their oh so important constitution (you can't change it remember, the gun lobby told us that).

Trump doesn't care though of the impact of this case on the US political system, he's only interested in himself and always has only ever had that emphasis. He makes Scomo look like an awesome leader of our country.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
As an aside I am not sure the US DOJ has the power to tell a state jurisdiction to drop a case but there would be enormous pressure of course and as you say a test of states power against the Supreme Court.

Probably what this means is that Trump is not just fighting for the presidency, he is fighting for his personal freedom.
This is a federal indictment we’re talking about though. There are two federal indictments and two state ones in train - the hush money one in NY and election interference one in Georgia for attempting to change an election outcome.

This is a federal one lead by Jack Smith and the DOJ raised in the DC districts court.

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This is a federal indictment we’re talking about though. There are two federal indictments and two state ones in train - the hush money one in NY and election interference one in Georgia for attempting to change an election outcome.

This is a federal one lead by Jack Smith and the DOJ raised in the DC districts court.
Is it? I thought Alvin Bragg was the district attorney for manhattan for state matters but is the one he is involved in a different case? Maybe that is the one about him falsifying records to get loans?

I get so confused with all the cases and I stand corrected if I am wrong.

But anyway your point stands. It would be very hard for a state jurisdiction to prosecute a former president under state laws if the Supreme Court says he has immunity.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Is it? I thought Alvin Bragg was the district attorney for manhattan for state matters but is the one he is involved in a different case? Maybe that is the one about him falsifying records to get loans?

I get so confused with all the cases and I stand corrected if I am wrong.

But anyway your point stands. It would be very hard for a state jurisdiction to prosecute a former president under state laws if the Supreme Court says he has immunity.
Think you’re confusing the state criminal indictments v the federal ones. I noticed this in one of your earlier posts. Yes Bragg is responsible for the NY state based hush money, falsifying business records trial.

Jack Smith is leading a federal indictment for trying to overturn the 2020 election ie Jan 6 riots etc.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It goes against the whole notion of equality before the law and that no-one is above the law. This is so fundamental you would hope the Supreme Court will rule against immunity for the orange man, but with this Supreme Court you never know. The whole idea of a republic is that, unlike in a Monarchy, the ruler is not above the law.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It goes against the whole notion of equality before the law and that no-one is above the law. This is so fundamental you would hope the Supreme Court will rule against immunity for the orange man, but with this Supreme Court you never know. The whole idea of a republic is that, unlike in a Monarchy, the ruler is not above the law.

DS
As I said, they're going to take an each-way bet and not really make any definitive determination at all. Instead, they're going to make some general statements and then kick it back down to the courts for them to work out based on those statements - that's if he loses the election and has to stand trial. And then, it will be a bogged down, ambiguous affair that will drag on for an eternity and make it unlikley that he will ever be convicted. Otherwsie, he'll just instruct the DOJ to drop the case against him or at least postpone it, if he becomes President.

Its a complete and utter disgrace. America is a totally corrupted state beyond belief now. It's status and reference has never been lower.