U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
People who faced the bushfires this year noted that fires came back through previously burnt areas several times in some locations. Even with fuel load reduction due to the previous instances of fire, the extreme heat, dryness and winds meant that these areas were subject to repeated burnings.

Heat and extreme winds meant that canopy fires were common - fuel load reduction doesn't prevent those.

Why is this in the US election thread anyway?

Good question.

Maybe it should be cut & pasted into the Global Warming thread. :)

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Fires starting is one thing; fires powered by fuel loads that make it impossible (not just dangerous) to put men on the ground is another.

Did you not read my post before, re what a CFA Captain told me about the difficulty of carrying out fuel reduction burning. It sort of addresses your comment regarding fuel loads.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Did you not read my post before, re what a CFA Captain told me about the difficulty of carrying out fuel reduction burning. It sort of addresses your comment regarding fuel loads.

Yeah I read it. I don't comment on every post I read. It's anecdotal evidence and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence the other way. Hence the Royal Commission.

Don’t blame fire crews or climate, it’s FUEL

Last edited:

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah I read it. I don't comment on every post I read. It's anecdotal evidence and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence the other way. Hence the Royal Commission.

Don’t blame fire crews or climate, it’s FUEL
[/QUO

"Anecdotal evidence" :rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2So the Victorian CFA have no idea what they're talking about & you know more than them.
Whatever miniscule amount of credibility you may have had has just evaporated.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Anecdotal evidence" :rotfl2:rotfl2:rotfl2So the Victorian CFA have no idea what they're talking about & you know more than them.
Whatever miniscule amount of credibility you may have had has just evaporated.

Don't put words in my mouth again.

Yeah it's anecdotal. Word-of-mouth. You paraphrased what you thought he said and didn't quote him. I'm sure he'll be asked to testify if he's important enough.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We've had umpteen Royal Commissions on fires already - they are a quasi-legal/political response to policy failure. They are not scientific and you can bet the LNP will hamstring this one with very carefully constructed terms of reference.

It's an old, old political game and we won't get many new answers, unless it's by accident.

Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Don't put words in my mouth again.

Yeah it's anecdotal. Word-of-mouth. You paraphrased what you thought he said and didn't quote him. I'm sure he'll be asked to testify if he's important enough.

"Paraphrased what I thought he said". Really, I actually quoted word for word what came out of his mouth.
Believe me he has far more credibility than you & would you believe he actually DID GIVE EVIDENCE AT THE ROYAL COMMISSION.
As I said he has credibility, you have none.
Give up you've lost.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
We've had umpteen Royal Commissions on fires already - they are a quasi-legal/political response to policy failure. They are not scientific and you can bet the LNP will hamstring this one with very carefully constructed terms of reference.

It's an old, old political game and we won't get many new answers, unless it's by accident.

Some specific recommendations came out of the last one and they were officially abandoned about five years ago by those overseeing prevention.

I agree, there's no point formulating a plan based on the grilling of experts for intelligence if you then go and do something else.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Some specific recommendations came out of the last one and they were officially abandoned about five years ago by those overseeing prevention.

I agree, there's no point formulating a plan based on the grilling of experts for intelligence if you then go and do something else.

And that's the history of Royal Commissions in Australia. Some recommendations are implemented, some are not.

It's the terms of reference that really signal the political intention of the government that sets them up. Given the Morrison government's history of lies, obfuscation and half-assed marketing on the fires so far, I have little faith.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
"Paraphrased what I thought he said". Really, I actually quoted word for word what came out of his mouth.
Believe me he has far more credibility than you & would you believe he actually DID GIVE EVIDENCE AT THE ROYAL COMMISSION.
As I said he has credibility, you have none.
Give up you've lost.

I suggest he didn't give you the whole story in the space of a chat.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
People who faced the bushfires this year noted that fires came back through previously burnt areas several times in some locations. Even with fuel load reduction due to the previous instances of fire, the extreme heat, dryness and winds meant that these areas were subject to repeated burnings.

Heat and extreme winds meant that canopy fires were common - fuel load reduction doesn't prevent those.

Why is this in the US election thread anyway?
Cos some Fricker linked fires in California and Vic to left wing governments, then tried to say he meant local councils (cos NSW are inconviently governed by the Libs) ignoring the fact the areas burnt are unlikely to have much greenie influence in their local govs.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Cos some Fricker linked fires in California and Vic to left wing governments, then tried to say he meant local councils (cos NSW are inconviently governed by the Libs) ignoring the fact the areas burnt are unlikely to have much greenie influence in their local govs.

Careful, you don't want to introduce facts to the argument, they wreck the right's narrative.

DS