UFC | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

UFC

Re: UFC???

Great reports guys, I'm a big UFC fan, don't understand why it isn't allowed in Melb, reckon it's a well run and on the most refereed sport. Still love the boxing too, they can both exist and thrive IMO. SEN has been a bit negative in some of its reporting of the UFC (that knob Matt Thompson interviewed a US fighter on the weekend and was very negative and almost disrespectful).

Will have to get your predictions for the fights before UFC 128

mma itself is legal, just the cage isnt.

its safer in a cage than in a normal boxing ring, have seen lots of ppl fall between the ropes

RFC not KFC said:
Jukes - spot on again re Perosh. Local flavour only.

I really want to see Cung Le make the move across from Strikeforce & also pumped for the Rua - Jones match.

I'd be extremely surprised if Cung Le ever came to the UFC.
He gave up his Strikeforce Middleweight title last year because of his filming commitments.
Don't think he fights much anymore.....he's concentrating on his acting career I believe.

Jones is a beast, I'll back him in this one.
Rua hasn't been in a fight for 10 months, that's a huge lay off.
Can his knee hold up?....he's had alot knee surgery over the years.

Big Cat Lover said:
Great reports guys, I'm a big UFC fan, don't understand why it isn't allowed in Melb, reckon it's a well run and on the most refereed sport. Still love the boxing too, they can both exist and thrive IMO. SEN has been a bit negative in some of its reporting of the UFC (that knob Matt Thompson interviewed a US fighter on the weekend and was very negative and almost disrespectful).

Will have to get your predictions for the fights before UFC 128

It's ridiculous, I think it's because they are confined in the cage with no where to go.
I'd understand if mma wasn't legal in the state....but it is ......only in a ring.
Cage is alot safer.

UFC 128 predictions:

Mirko Cro Cop Vs Brendan Schaub.
Tough one to pick...I'd back Cro Cop to win this he's more experienced and Schaub hasn't beat any good fighters yet.

Marquardt vs Akiyama.
Another tough one to pick.
Marquardt would be the favorite for this, But I'll back Akiyama.
He has lost his last two fights.....he needs this.

Jim Miller vs Shalorus.
Gotta stick with Miller won his last 6 fights and must be in line for a number one contender bout.
If Miller wins I reckon he should face the winner of Pettis/ Guida for a shot at the champ.
Don't know much about Shalorus, But he is undefeated with 7 wins and 2 draws.
He crosses over as part as the WEC merger, So this will be his UFC debut.
Hasn't fought the quality that Miller has so.....Miller in this one.

Urijah Faber Vs Eddie Wineland.
Faber should win this comfortably.

Shogun Rua vs Jon Jones.
Can't wait for this, Jones is one of my favs.....I'll stick with him here.
For Rua he's had 10 months between fights.
Jones is more Dynamic & Unpredictable.
The only question is.....is it to soon for Jones?, I think he's ready.

schaub will beat crocop for me, crocop hasnt looked interested in years and his fight against frank mir was horrible.

marquardt will get a decision, akiyama will gas out.

miller is quality

faber and his midget arms will win

rua vs jones is gonna be an exciting fight, im on the fence with it :help

i think crocop was lucky to get past pat barry to be honest, barry had him on toast but didnt finish him off when he had the chance. the last two rounds of that fight were the last time crocop looked like doing anything decent in the cage imo.

i think he'll retire after this fight regardless of the result

UFC now own Strikeforce :eek:

Massive news, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing for the growth of the sport if one organization pretty much owns everything.

At this time Strikeforce will still run on it's own, due to the fact that the fighters are contracted to Showtime for about 2 years.
So Strikeforce fighters won't be able to fight in the UFC until their contracts expire.

Wouldn't surprise me if Strikeforce was shut down once the contract with Showtime ends.
Then just put on more events under the UFC banner.

Then again they could use Strikeforce by having Grand Prix champions, and women's divisions, so they stay as a separate entity. Or arguably, a feeder organization.

But I expect Paul Daley and Josh Barnett to be cut once their contract ends.

The UFC can only just manage to run enough shows to keep 200 fighters busy, Right now they've got 260 fighters under contract.
Strikeforce has too many fighters under contract. The UFC has too many fighters under contract.
Wouldn't surprise me if they do events in Europe the same time as the U.S.

Scott Coker will still take care of the business side of things in Strikeforce. (M-1 Global, Put on Women's fights and sign women)
Dana White rates him highly so he'll play a role even when the Showtime deal ends.

But just thinking having fighters like Fabricio Werdum, Antonio Silva, Fedor Emelianenko, Alistair Overeem, Cung Le, Nick Diaz, Gilbert Melendez
fighting the UFC is mouth watering.

I'm sure more details will come to the surface over the next few days.

Just announced George Sotiropoulos will face Evan Dunham at UFC 132.
Both guys coming of losses should be good, Dunham is one of my favs but he struggled badly against Guillard.
Also the BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch rematch will take place at this event also.

evo said:
geeze, Jones just dismantled him. amazing fighter.

I expected Jones to win but not that easily.....WOW indeed.
Jones has dominated every opponent he has faced,
But he dominated Shogun more than anyone he has fought which is amazing....he just keeps getting better each fight which is scary.
Shogun is a super fighter of the sport.......massive victory.
Next up is Rashad Evan which shall be good.
I don't know why Evans gets a bad rap.....He's hated just a much a Bisping for some reason......I like Evans tbh.

Faber was solid against Wineland and I expect him to get a title shot vs Dominic Cruz.

Jim Miller was very good against Shalorus....Miller should of got a shot against a top 5 guy...maybe now he will.
He deserves a number one contender bout.
Maybe he can fight the winner of Pettis/Guida for a shot at the title holder Edgar/Maynard.
But if Pettis wins he probably get the shot.....he was promised the fight before there was that drawn fight.
Maybe a Melvin Guillard would be good for Miller.

Mirko was horrible....Schaub impressed me.
Sad day for Cro Cop as he was then cut from the UFC, great career.....was an absolute beast in the Pride days.

Marquardt solid win over Dan Miller (Jim's Brother) who took the fight on very short notice.
Nate even suggested in after fight interview dropping down from Middleweight to Welterwight,
Which I thought would be tough for him to cut weight.
He is a tank.

Yeah, he certainly lived up to the hype...and then some. Clearly he is only going to get better too. He is going to rewrite the sport, I reckon; he's that damn unpredictable.

Felt sorry for Cro Cop too.