Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
HTB/ incorrect disposal still a raffle. What I'm finding strange ATM is the commentators views are a raffle as well. A perfect example of this was a free against Guelfi in the Hawthorn fwd line last night. He grabbed the ball in a pack, then just held on to it standing up in a big pack of players kind of waving the ball around a bit, not even a fake attempt at handball. Got spun around and jostled by the pack for ages, ump hgave him ages to make an attempt, his arms weren't even pinned, but he was carrying on as if he was miming that they were. Then finally blew the whistle for holding the ball. It was HTB all day long, fair dinkum. The Ess players carried on, and the commentators, led by Richo, all said 'geez thats a bit rough' etc. WTH?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Tigers now on bottom of the free kick differential ladder at -34. Second last is Carlton at -33 and then Port Adelaide at -29.

On top is Collingwood :eek: with +50 then Western Bulldogs with +48 then Crows with +42.

But rest assured, for the 3rd year running there’s no bias against Richmond....

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
The Big Richo said:
What form do you see that bias occur in TT?

I'm coming around go the Reverse strip theory. We do better with the umps in the Reverse strip. The predominantly black jumper hides some infringements from view. The umps eyes are drawn to the lighter colours and so "see more" frees going that way?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
HTB/ incorrect disposal still a raffle. What I'm finding strange ATM is the commentators views are a raffle as well. A perfect example of this was a free against Guelfi in the Hawthorn fwd line last night. He grabbed the ball in a pack, then just held on to it standing up in a big pack of players kind of waving the ball around a bit, not even a fake attempt at handball. Got spun around and jostled by the pack for ages, ump hgave him ages to make an attempt, his arms weren't even pinned, but he was carrying on as if he was miming that they were. Then finally blew the whistle for holding the ball. It was HTB all day long, fair dinkum. The Ess players carried on, and the commentators, led by Richo, all said 'geez thats a bit rough' etc. WTH?

Was that when his right arm was pinned and he held the ball in his left? The umpire gave him an eternity to get rid of it, at least twice as long as he should've got.

Eventually he managed to get it onto his boot for a 2m kick. Maybe the commentators thought he got the ball moving in the end, so play on (which seems to be the general interpretation).

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Visual aid.
I used numbers from prior to the start of the round (so we will be top of the ladder by Sunday night)

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 58

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Was that when his right arm was pinned and he held the ball in his left? The umpire gave him an eternity to get rid of it, at least twice as long as he should've got.

Eventually he managed to get it onto his boot for a 2m kick. Maybe the commentators thought he got the ball moving in the end, so play on (which seems to be the general interpretation).

i dont mind that interpretation, as always though the problem in inconsistency.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
KnightersRevenge said:
I'm coming around go the Reverse strip theory. We do better with the umps in the Reverse strip. The predominantly black jumper hides some infringements from view. The umps eyes are drawn to the lighter colours and so "see more" frees going that way?

Generally speaking this is a proven form of umpire bias in other sports.

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
123kid said:
Generally speaking this is a proven form of umpire bias in other sports.
Been spruiking this for years, not only the overall colour but the contrasting colours.
Its real. No doubt.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Wrestling move from Hunt, umpire 2 meters away, holds the figure 4 leglock for an eternity, umpire does SFA as usual, now I will expect infringed upon docker to get 2 weeks! This is the umpires fault. Should have been a 50m when the leg lock was applied. The umpires inaction actually is the problem!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
why do the umps love essendon? kept em in it. Just itching to pay frees to them. Giants can't buy one.

Last edited:

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
The AFL has again failed tonight. Clear touched ball and the players let the umpire know. How hard is it to check the replay before the game restarts?

Farce. S Hockey has put his nose in front of Gil as being the worst football administrator in the game.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
The AFL has again failed tonight. Clear touched ball and the players let the umpire know. How hard is it to check the replay before the game restarts?

Farce. S Hockey has put his nose in front of Gil as being the worst football administrator in the game.

Just my view, but I think the video review should be for goal line and goal post decisions only. not touched during play. You can never be 100% conclusive of those.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Free kick differential top and bottom 3:

1: WB +51
2: Collingwood + 50
3: ADELAIDE +43

16: Port -25
17: Richmond-32
18: Carlton-34

tigertim