Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
You wouldn’t even see that at primary school level with a parent umpiring….
I actually think there is a directive to encourage every possible attacking play as the stoopid rule changes are not doing anything to increase scoring.

Any opportunity to increase scoring is condoned by the umpires.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
How was the play-on call against Brayshaw near the end of the Freo/Adel game? He had not even moved back from the mark. It could have cost them the game.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I actually think there is a directive to encourage every possible attacking play as the stoopid rule changes are not doing anything to increase scoring.

Any opportunity to increase scoring is condoned by the umpires.
Yep. Even if it means breaking the the actual rules.

This is why people have had a gutful.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
How was the play-on call against Brayshaw near the end of the Freo/Adel game? He had not even moved back from the mark. It could have cost them the game.
Another absurd interpretive outlook fostered by a maddening AFL who are out of control where rules and officiating are concerned.

Nobody - the players or fans or even the umpires themselves - know what's going on from one game or season to the next.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Yeah and compare that in the same game where Fogarty clearly played on when out of bounds (dumbass) and they allowed him to come back to the mark and he then setup a goal for Dawson.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Yep. Even if it means breaking the the actual rules.

This is why people have had a gutful.
Yeh, never seen anythng like that one. I don't think anyone watching the game wouldn't have brought him back. Can only conclude it was a deliberate act by the umpire. There really should be questions asked about how it happened. And I reckon at least 2 of the 3 officiating umpires should have picked it up. Its not like they don't use their autority to change incorrect decisions made by a colleague.

Reactions: 1 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
I don't recommend it, but have a read of Twitter and some other teams forums re. Umpiring.

ALL fans are as frustrated as us (excluding TBR of course ;) ) with the pathetic standard of umpiring.

The AFL need to address this issue, but no doubt they will just change MORE rules.

• Angry

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yeh, never seen anythng like that one. I don't think anyone watching the game wouldn't have brought him back. Can only conclude it was a deliberate act by the umpire. There really should be questions asked about how it happened. And I reckon at least 2 of the 3 officiating umpires should have picked it up. Its not like they don't use their autority to change incorrect decisions made by a colleague.
Was that the one where the dumpire 'thought' it wasn't 15m?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
He took the mark, ran to the pie stand, then walked back onto the ground well past where he took the mark, and it was PLAY ON!!!
There were a few in our game, Saad to name one, even Broady was looking at the umpire to put him on his line, but no, guy on the.......stand, stand, guy taking the kick......go where ever you like.

• Angry
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The 50m rule has become ridiculous & the number the umps hand out now is really influencing games.
The cynic in me thinks it's been designed just to increase scoring with so many goals now scored from penalties over ticky touchwood technicalities.
Doesn't make watching the game any better though.
Quite the opposite.

Reactions: 7 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I don’t blame the umps at all ( except the old attention seeking one) the rules become more and more greyer , they continue to be changed away from what the game was built on . Second to the ball is now rewarded rather then winning the contest and been first to it.

Hope it’s just me , however rarley watch a game that the Tiges are not involved in , just simply don’t enjoy the modern game anywhere near as much , I can remember loving the game in the 90s even though we were crap . imagine trying to explain our debacle to someone who’s never seen the game before .

No idea how you fix it , however I’d just like to see the ball winners rewarded more again , rid the game of grey and try and not be so rewarding against incidental contact.

Against popular opinion imho Roos did more harm to the game then good

Reactions: 6 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I would like to make two points; the umpires are not professionals they are enthusiastic amateurs and that is one of the causes of the inconsistencies. AFL umpiring should be a profession with excellent remuneration and therefore attract and retain more numbers. The second point is that AFL umpiring requires as much physical ability as judgemental capability. WHY? I can give better and more consistent decisions watching my TV. The primary selection of an umpire is his physical attributes not his judgement. If you cannot run like a hairy goat for 4 quarters you need not apply even though you might be the best fat junior league umpire ever seen.
Think out of the box and remove the elite physical constraint, and promote on quality decisions. Respect is earned not imposed.
I have some ideas about the physical side but would like some from the keyboard clan.

Best post I've seen about umpires in a while

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
I would like to make two points; the umpires are not professionals they are enthusiastic amateurs and that is one of the causes of the inconsistencies. AFL umpiring should be a profession with excellent remuneration and therefore attract and retain more numbers. The second point is that AFL umpiring requires as much physical ability as judgemental capability. WHY? I can give better and more consistent decisions watching my TV. The primary selection of an umpire is his physical attributes not his judgement. If you cannot run like a hairy goat for 4 quarters you need not apply even though you might be the best fat junior league umpire ever seen.
Think out of the box and remove the elite physical constraint, and promote on quality decisions. Respect is earned not imposed.
I have some ideas about the physical side but would like some from the keyboard clan.
I like the theory but I still tend to have a different opinion.
Not so long ago we had a set of rules that remained largely unchanged for 100 years. Also not that long ago we had half the umpires we have today. Now the game was pretty good. Freekicks were paid when they were warranted. Argue all you like contrarians, the game was good fun and everyone knew the rules.
The AFL by use of knee-jerk reaction to the professionalism of clubs, money, ego etc..... brought in rule change after rule change completely *smile* up any idea of players, umpires and supporters understanding of the game.
Now it's a guessing game and only one poster on this whole site claims to understand the rules. The new rules and their interpretation are *smile* and confusing.
Plenty of people on this site could fix it in a weekend.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don’t blame the umps at all ( except the old attention seeking one) the rules become more and more greyer , they continue to be changed away from what the game was built on . Second to the ball is now rewarded rather then winning the contest and been first to it.

Hope it’s just me , however rarley watch a game that the Tiges are not involved in , just simply don’t enjoy the modern game anywhere near as much , I can remember loving the game in the 90s even though we were crap . imagine trying to explain our debacle to someone who’s never seen the game before .

No idea how you fix it , however I’d just like to see the ball winners rewarded more again , rid the game of grey and try and not be so rewarding against incidental contact.

Against popular opinion imho Roos did more harm to the game then good

Agree, I have been banging on about this for ages, but the player who attempts to get the ball is held before they get the ball and therefore have no prior opportunity, or any opportunity really, to meaningfully dispose of the ball. I recently watched the 1969 First Semi and players were demonstrative in showing they were not holding the player attempting to gain possession. It wasn't perfect but it was a hell of a lot better than what we see today which is players having their arms held being grabbed etc before they have possession of the ball. And the AFL wonders why the game is congested?

Pay holding the man! Reward the player who is trying to get the ball, not the player who hangs back to tackle.

I don't disagree with prior opportunity, although it does create a massive grey area, but one of the main reasons we need to have the prior opportunity rule is to compensate for the fact that players attempting to gain possession are grabbed before they have the ball.

Oh, and ditch the stand rule, plus, if you are going to penalise players with minor infractions, make it a 15m penalty not 50m - the sentence does not reflect the crime.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
DS

Unfortunately prior is not the only ambiguity Hate the knocked out in the tackle call. Incorrect disposal full stop

Head high tackles also call for the umpire to make calls on intent at times they are umpires not mind readers

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Lynch molested just before 3/4 time, Razor saw nothing in it:mad:

It's a free kick every day of the week.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users