Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Lynch molested just before 3/4 time, Razor saw nothing in it:mad:

It's a free kick every day of the week.

They paid a couple of them today, which surprised me as forwards getting held has been rife for years and needs to be stopped. But, yeah, they do miss heaps of these.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
They paid a couple of them today, which surprised me as forwards getting held has been rife for years and needs to be stopped. But, yeah, they do miss heaps of these.

DS
Yeah, I must say the umpiring wasn't too bad. Don't know if I'll ever stop cringing at the stand rule though.

Lynch's non free kick just before 3/4 time was a shocker though. He was blatantly dragged, scragged, tackled whatever you want to call it without the ball. Arm chops can be a 50/50 call, but this was far from it.

• Angry

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The umpiring was ok yesterday save for Chamberlain going off tap (again) in the second half.

He really is a very poor umpire.

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Any idea how many goals we scored yesterday were from free kicks? Reckon we had a years worth in one game - must have been at least 6 if not more! Mind you GWS did not help their cause with poor tackling.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Just remember that just over twenty seven years ago we were running games with just 2 umpires so the best 16 umpires were judging the games each week.

Now with the four umpires in the game it is the best 36 umpires judging the game.

The fatigue factor is not an issue these days it is getting 36 umpires to interpret the rules the same way.

TBR Less than twenty years ago the game was 25 mins plus time on now it is 20 mins plus time on now you are advocating for 17 mins why not 10 mins and we could

complete our transition to Basket ball?

Our game is unique as it requires players who are tall and small it also requires player with speed and player with endurance shortening the quarters yet again would

mean that a lot of the talls and endurance players would no longer be required.

The unlimited interchange has been tried and been abandoned.

Changing our game to cater to the corporate elite would destroy its soul.

Umpiring has gone down hill since the AFL has been appointing ex AFL coaches or players as head of umpiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
The STAND! rule is a pimple on the game - demeaning, stupid and so out of place.

Razor Ray is a fool. Can't help himself.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Good to see Dimma give a drive by on the umpire dissent adjudication:

”Last week dissent was glaring (at the ump) this week you can (waves arms), it’s hard to know where you stand”.

but hey, he’s just a 3 time premiership coach, what would he know….

Reactions: 4 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Umpires were ok yesterday i thought.

Lynch missed a free 15m out.

ANd we got one we shouldnt have 40m out.

evened out.

RFC were always in control, the problem is when th heat is on during matched and scores a pretty much level, the umpires aalways seem to produce a few shockers to start momentum to a team.

ANyway, the game is now worse for the way it is adjudicated.

Reactions: 2 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Razor gave us a couple yesterday that I really wasn't expecting.
I was saying at the time - we'll pay for them at some stage - have no doubt.
That last free of the game - I think it was Razor who awarded it to Balta. Didn't have to pay it - game was over - meant nothing.
But it suited Razor to give d one in front of the Army.
Unfortunately we'll pay big time for that one day too - nothing surer.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, I must say the umpiring wasn't too bad. Don't know if I'll ever stop cringing at the stand rule though.

Lynch's non free kick just before 3/4 time was a shocker though. He was blatantly dragged, scragged, tackled whatever you want to call it without the ball. Arm chops can be a 50/50 call, but this was far from it.

Everybody cringes at the stand rule, I figure they must send the umpires to actor training to ensure they are not too obvious with their cringes when bellowing out "STAND".

There is a big field, but this has to be the worst rule change ever.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
What I don’t get with how teams now cope with the stand rule is getting the MOTM to move 5 metres away from the actual mark but they still can’t move! They still just man the mark. Don’t understand the point.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
complete our transition to Basket ball?
For a number of years now I have thought that the game is beginning to resemble a glorified version of basketball, just on a bigger playing arena with more players. Keepings off, over technical umpiring interference, one side goes down one far end of the ground (court)...the other defends...opposing side then goes down the other far end of the ground (court) and tries the same......repeat and rinse.

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What I don’t get with how teams now cope with the stand rule is getting the MOTM to move 5 metres away from the actual mark but they still can’t move! They still just man the mark. Don’t understand the point.

I think you are supposed to be allowed to move if 5m back from the mark, but sometimes the umpire still tells the player on the mark to stand (not 5m away maybe?). But if they are not 5m away then surely they should then be able to move to the actual mark, although this is very inconsistently applied.

The other issue is when a player runs to stand the mark and the umpire is confused as to whether they are going outside 5m or trying to get to the actual mark, what often happens is that the mark gets moved forward a couple of metres to the advantage of the player who has taken a mark or received a free.

Absolute mess really.

DS

tigertim

Mar 6, 2004
I think you are supposed to be allowed to move if 5m back from the mark, but sometimes the umpire still tells the player on the mark to stand (not 5m away maybe?). But if they are not 5m away then surely they should then be able to move to the actual mark, although this is very inconsistently applied.

The other issue is when a player runs to stand the mark and the umpire is confused as to whether they are going outside 5m or trying to get to the actual mark, what often happens is that the mark gets moved forward a couple of metres to the advantage of the player who has taken a mark or received a free.

Absolute mess really.

DS
Yeah, you see players now go to man the mark, realise they’ll get pinged 50m for getting in the protected zone then just run away. So the choice in this instance is a: give away 50m or b: just let the player with the ball play on.

Puntrd64

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
The umpiring was ok yesterday save for Chamberlain going off tap (again) in the second half.

He really is a very poor umpire.
If David Warner was an AFL umpire he would be Razor Ray. Just as annoying. Small man syndrome?

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Absolute mess really.

DS

It's a stupid, illogical & totally unnecessary rule that goes against the very nature of Australian Rules Football as it WAS played for over 150 years.

I hate the "spectacle" that the game now is, frankly I find it unwatchable, I tried 3 times to watch different games over the weekend & lasted 15 minutes in total.

It's not real footy anymore imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
It's a stupid, illogical & totally unnecessary rule that goes against the very nature of Australian Rules Football as it WAS played for over 150 years.

I hate the "spectacle" that the game now is, frankly I find it unwatchable, I tried 3 to watch different games over the weekend & lasted 15 minutes in total.

It's not real footy anymore imo.
Thing is they won't roll the rule back even recognising how crap it is. They'll likely layer another crap rule on the top or a further tweak of the same rule in order to save face.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Good to see Dimma give a drive by on the umpire dissent adjudication:

”Last week dissent was glaring (at the ump) this week you can (waves arms), it’s hard to know where you stand”.

but hey, he’s just a 3 time premiership coach, what would he know….
The amount of free kicks that would have been payed against us in Rd 1 that were let go over round 2 was phenomenal. Every game I watched and I'm in Broome kicking back ladies and gentlemen, so I watched alot of footy, had blatant demonstrations of dissent.
The stand the mark rule was as abhorrent as it has ever been this weekend as well. It was forgotten about for North Melbourne, they did what they wanted.
Ill keep going, the way the NM players have been coached to play for in the back frees cost one of them a concussion. If the player refuses to use a knee to offset a tackle, I call it self preservation, then they should 1, not get a free for in the back and 2, get pinged for holding the ball. If this interpretation was used by the afl it would disincentivse the outcome of gaining a free kick by placing oneself in harms way. Willie Riolis tackle was pure and the NM player was let's just say, poor. Carlton forward line did the same thing against us in the forward line, plant 2 feet and just lunge forward getting the free. The onus for ones welfare lies primarily on the player themselves and secondly on their opponent. Umpireit that way and the head I juries would go back to where they used to be.

Reactions: 2 users