Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Stand there until I say you can move, you can't ruck unless you nominate, I'm not starting the game until you have 6 forwards and 6 backs, did you just talk back to me....

The umpires are too involved in the game.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Good luck with that - 423 for and 440 against in our stellar year of 2016.

Gee, didn't we have a different game style back then, yet we still lose the free kicks . . .

DS

that's a losing free kick count of less than a kick per game, so it probably confirms a game style change in 2017 actually.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I seriously don't think you need to have played the game to see that one as a throw, it was so bleedingly obvious it just wasn't funny.

Where's the media on this, where's the outrage about umpiring standards?

What a f*cking joke.

DS
Blind Freddy could’ve seen that one. I was 600ks away and even I saw it. AFL slowly but surely putting people off the game. I’m very happy with our three premierships.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Good luck with that - 423 for and 440 against in our stellar year of 2016.

Gee, didn't we have a different game style back then, yet we still lose the free kicks . . .

DS
I'm wondering what the next argument explaining the stats bias will be?

Sure we have done some dumb things lately but we simply don't get the level of 50/50 calls other teams get.

I wonder if the club are doing anything about this behind the scenes? Compiling video etc and presenting it to the AFL?

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Other teams play to the umps and we don't hence we get nailed on every indiscretion
I still think the root cause of our losing the free kick count was when Benny and Peggy went to the afl to discuss the obvious bias. The afl didnt like it. Then when Peggy spoke out about violence against women and bullying being rife at afl (lethlean and someone else) and the afl just found them jobs elsewhere, pretty sure Peggy spoke out against the afl’s limp reaction to that claim. I still firmly believe that we have a target on our backs for deigning to speak out against the almighty AFL.

Reactions: 3 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
There was an incorrect disposal against Nank too that was iffy at best. He grabbed the ball and immediately dropped it to his feet but was pulled off the ball and didn’t connect with the ball. I thought if in the process of disposing of the ball it was play on. I could’ve worn the one against nank if the Saints player who did exactly the same thing just moments later wasn’t called for incorrect disposal.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Taking my comment out of the context of the post it was a reply to is not good form is it?

DS

LOL - quoted your whole post David and referred directly to the whole post's argument. How did I take it out of context? What context did I leave out?

How far back in the thread do I have to go?

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Other teams play to the umps and we don't hence we get nailed on every indiscretion
I’m sick of umps getting sucked in by the relatively new trend of payers throwing their arms up and leaning back into their opponent then throwing themselves to the ground (but making it look like their opponent has done it)

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I’m sick of umps getting sucked in by the relatively new trend of payers throwing their arms up and leaning back into their opponent then throwing themselves to the ground (but making it look like their opponent has done it)
Charlie cameron is the king con man. Has the talent to win kicks legitimately but continues to stage at almost every contest. Its dishonest and unnecessary. Weightman another and that Carlton player who has been outed as a serial stager.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Charlie cameron is the king con man. Has the talent to win kicks legitimately but continues to stage at almost every contest. Its dishonest and unnecessary. Weightman another and that Carlton player who has been outed as a serial stager.
Scumwood's Ginnivan is in that group too. He even admitted he enjoys it.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
do they have a weekly review the umpires? if so, how do they decide what they look at?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
do they have a weekly review the umpires? if so, how do they decide what they look at?
I’m sure they used to, but it’s become like the war in Fawlty Towers. It’s the lack of accountability that annoys me, and I suspect many others.

Reactions: 1 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney

Meanwhile at AFL HQ the weekly umpire review is in progress.

Present: Head of Umpiring - Dan Richardson (DR); Match review Officer - Michael Christian (MC); Senior Umpire - Ray Chamberlain (RC); President of AFL Player's Association - Patrick Dangerfield (PD)

DR: OK let's get this out of the way I've got things to do.
RC: Me too, got night-fill at Coles starting in 45 minutes.
MC: Night-fill?
RC: Yep. Gotta make ends meet.
DR: OK, Ok, that's enough. First item on the agenda. Umpiring Geelong - I have to send Mr Hocking a note this evening with any Geelong related feedback.
RC: Yes, Geelong played Brisbane in a Brisbane home game and Geelong lost by 44 points despite the attempts by our umpires on the day to keep the game tight.
PD: Tight? I must have had 25 tackles that were not rewarded and poor Joel had his head taken off 15 times in the first quarter and he got no free kicks at all.
RC: Yes, we have to do better in that department.
DR: Who was the junior umpire?
RC: That would be John Howorth. Had a great game. 98% call accuracy.
DR: Demote him to state league for a few weeks. Then I can tell Mr Hocking that we've done something about it. Paddy - Any further thoughts?
PD: Why, yes, Dan, in fact I have. As President and self-appointed life member of the AFL Player's Association, if I could just present this 200 page PowerPoint I'm sure you'll get my point.
DR: It's Mr Richardson Paddy. Now just send it along to my secretary and Beryl will pass it on to me.
PD: OK Dan.
DR: Eventually. And it's Mr Richardson to you Paddy. I won't tell you again!
PD: Sorry Mr Richardson.
DR: Now, Michael. Anything we have to review from the games from your department?
MC: Yes, *pulls out a video cassette from his man bag* This video is full of highlights from the games. Particularly the boundary throw-ins, the backwards running and the conflicting arms from different umpires signaling different ways when free kicks are blown. Those in particular are work of art. Ray, your team should be proud.
RC: Thanks Michael.
DR: Oh, ahhhhh. *Feigned look of disappointment* I don't think the VCR is working.
MC: Pity.
DR: Yes, With the budget squeeze after my bonus last year we haven't got the cash for a new VCR.
PD: Ouch! Or a new packing case for me to sit on in these meetings. I just got a splinter in my bum from this one. Free kick Dangerfield!
DR: Shut up Patrick.
MC: Yeah, shut up Patrick.
RC: Shut up Patrick. Anyway, gotta go, shift starting soon. See you next week!
DR: Meeting adjourned.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
LOL - quoted your whole post David and referred directly to the whole post's argument. How did I take it out of context? What context did I leave out?

How far back in the thread do I have to go?

Ooh, I don't know, maybe you could try reading what I posted, I know reading the "whole post" must be difficult, I mean, it was a whole sentence.

Taking my comment out of the context of the post it was a reply to is not good form is it?

DS

Gee, I spelt it out for you, try reading the post I replied to.

This from those who ask that we look at every decision in a game, in isolation of course, and decide if it is correct.

Maybe go back and look at the post I was replying to. I don't think that is too much to ask.

To be honest I find this bickering tiresome, I understand you want to defend the umpires despite the ample evidence they are grossly inconsistent and a professional football code should have a higher standard of adjudication. You can keep poking little holes in what people say if it amuses you, it bores me.

DS