Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Ooh, I don't know, maybe you could try reading what I posted, I know reading the "whole post" must be difficult, I mean, it was a whole sentence.

Gee, I spelt it out for you, try reading the post I replied to.

This from those who ask that we look at every decision in a game, in isolation of course, and decide if it is correct.

Maybe go back and look at the post I was replying to. I don't think that is too much to ask.

To be honest I find this bickering tiresome, I understand you want to defend the umpires despite the ample evidence they are grossly inconsistent and a professional football code should have a higher standard of adjudication. You can keep poking little holes in what people say if it amuses you, it bores me.

DS

You still havent explained what context I missed, because you can't. That's totally clear.

Pointing out that the 2016 free kick record is significantly different to 2017 is not a "defense of umpires", but if you want to believe that it's up to you.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You still havent explained what context I missed, because you can't. That's totally clear.

Pointing out that the 2016 free kick record is significantly different to 2017 is not a "defense of umpires", but if you want to believe that it's up to you.

F*ck me this is tedious - the post I replied to, as pointed out at least 3 times.

Go back and look if you want to be even more tedious. While you're at it, care to explain why you felt the need to jump in when I replied to someone else's post?

Now, are you seriously arguing that the umpiring is consistent and up to standard for a professional sporting competition?

DS

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
F*ck me this is tedious - the post I replied to, as pointed out at least 3 times.

Go back and look if you want to be even more tedious. While you're at it, care to explain why you felt the need to jump in when I replied to someone else's post?

Now, are you seriously arguing that the umpiring is consistent and up to standard for a professional sporting competition?

DS

So you now have a rule that you cannot reply to a post in a thread unless it was a reply to you? Dude, that's not how forums work.

Just saying I somehow excluded the context of the previous post is BS, but OK then. MD said it's interesting that even as we have fallen down the ladder our free kick ratio has not improved - the assumption (from somewhere) being that someone somewhere had said the free kick count was related to ladder position, questionable, but whatever. That's all OK. You then said oh yeah interesting that in 2016 we still lost the free kick count, the implication being our game style change but the free kick ratio remained bad. Still OK, wrong, but OK.

Fair? Good summation of your intent there? Chime in if you disagree.

I then replied, "oh BTW we only lost the free kick count by less than a kick per game that year, so maybe something did change in our game plan between 2016 and 2017". That's all I wrote. Totally innocuous, non-spiteful and completely reasonable, IMO of course.

You then went ballistic, started complaining about "context" and then jumped on your tired old hobby horse "oh you are just defending umpires". Dude, show me where I defended umpires or said they are all exemplary paragons of virtue, or whatever weird motive you want to ascribe to me.

No, I ain't arguing that the umpiring is consistent and up to standard - this is a constant strawman that you return to whenever anyone disagrees with your take on the umps. It's a particularly weak form of ad hominem IMO. Now that truly is *smile* tedious dude.

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So you now have a rule that you cannot reply to a post in a thread unless it was a reply to you? Dude, that's not how forums work.

Just saying I somehow excluded the context of the previous post is BS, but OK then. MD said it's interesting that even as we have fallen down the ladder our free kick ratio has not improved - the assumption (from somewhere) being that someone somewhere had said the free kick count was related to ladder position, questionable, but whatever. That's all OK. You then said oh yeah interesting that in 2016 we still lost the free kick count, the implication being our game style change but the free kick ratio remained bad. Still OK, wrong, but OK.

Fair? Good summation of your intent there? Chime in if you disagree.

I then replied, "oh BTW we only lost the free kick count by less than a kick per game that year, so maybe something did change in our game plan between 2016 and 2017". That's all I wrote. Totally innocuous, non-spiteful and completely reasonable, IMO of course.

You then went ballistic, started complaining about "context" and then jumped on your tired old hobby horse "oh you are just defending umpires". Dude, show me where I defended umpires or said they are all exemplary paragons of virtue, or whatever weird motive you want to ascribe to me.

No, I ain't arguing that the umpiring is consistent and up to standard - this is a constant strawman that you return to whenever anyone disagrees with your take on the umps. It's a particularly weak form of ad hominem IMO. Now that truly is *smile* tedious dude.

MD Jazz made a flippant post about a free kick deficit despite us no longer being at the top of the tree, I made a flippant reply about free kick deficit when we were crap in 2016. To be honest, your reply sounded like the moral majority coming in to defend the umpiring fraternity after a little bit of banter over our constant free kick deficit, so excuse me if I find it strange that you want to argue the toss on how bad the deficit is in different years in response to a couple of flippant posts.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
MD Jazz made a flippant post about a free kick deficit despite us no longer being at the top of the tree, I made a flippant reply about free kick deficit when we were crap in 2016. To be honest, your reply sounded like the moral majority coming in to defend the umpiring fraternity after a little bit of banter over our constant free kick deficit, so excuse me if I find it strange that you want to argue the toss on how bad the deficit is in different years in response to a couple of flippant posts.

DS

To be honest, I made a very simple, and non-confrontational point about free kick ratio in 2016 cf 2017, and mentioned nothing at all about the umpiring fraternity. All of that was in your own head David.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
Just wondering why an oppo player who becomes a free agent would want to go to Tigerland now knowing that the AFL/Dumpires (common knowledge) are blatantly penalising the Tigers with free kicks against!
Why go to that hassle when for a few dollar$ less you can do it easier at another Club instead!
I reckon this free kick discrepancy will impinge on our obtaining free agents...

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I'm wondering what the next argument explaining the stats bias will be?

Sure we have done some dumb things lately but we simply don't get the level of 50/50 calls other teams get.

I wonder if the club are doing anything about this behind the scenes? Compiling video etc and presenting it to the AFL?
IIRC last time we did that and went to the afl to calmly put our point across, that was when the reaming became more prolific. No one can mess with the AFL

Sammy Cougar

Goodness Gracious me The Tigers have got Another
Staff member
Mar 6, 2004
The Farce has got down to the NAB League tonight one of my friends son kicked a banger of a goal from the boundary line in by a mile and the boundary umpire who was miles away called it out

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Yep.
Lost alot of interest in the game.
It's not what we knew and loved.
Stand has killed the game.
Last night, a great Geelong atmosphere NOT. All the TV could hear was *smile* stand. Beyond a joke. Umpire in perfect position let Hawkins do what he does best. Goal umpire hold play up with the most pathetic referral for touched on the line in the history of the world, Thank God he did because his decision was an absolute howler.
The game is *smile*.
Brisbane should have just tee'd off and given 50 after 50 for fun, Fagin should have too.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Even though Shovekins in the back was blatant and the umpires explanation non sensical the AFL will do their best to hide this error, and shut down all negative comment, because umpires are not ever allowed to be publicly criticised and nothing they do or say is wrong. You know some kid out there who aspires to be an umpire may hear their heroes have feet of clay and decide to go do something else.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
surprised there wasn't a free kick paid against the Brisbane guy for asking why it wasn't in the back !

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Wow I just watched the replay of the shove. The AFL match report is laughable in how it describes it.

One clear shoving action. No holding ground action.

Just say they got it wrong and will look to do better. Only way you learn and improve.

This ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’ organisation is a joke in its ability to learn.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Wow I just watched the replay of the shove. The AFL match report is laughable in how it describes it.

One clear shoving action. No holding ground action.

Just say they got it wrong and will look to do better. Only way you learn and improve.

This ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’ organisation is a joke in its ability to learn.
Usual routine is they admit "We woz rong" AFTER the games are done by ~Monday and then it's shoved under a carpet and all forgotten. Same repetitive rubbish everytime.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Even though Shovekins in the back was blatant and the umpires explanation non sensical the AFL will do their best to hide this error, and shut down all negative comment, because umpires are not ever allowed to be publicly criticised and nothing they do or say is wrong. You know some kid out there who aspires to be an umpire may hear their heroes have feet of clay and decide to go do something else.
I think the CCP can take some lessons from the AFL

• Haha

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The AFL need to take some lessons from the NBA and have independent auditing of decisions and non decisions with feedback and performance monitored and results reported.

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
I think I'd prefer they turn the umpires mic's off rather than being forced to listen to "stand" every 3 seconds.