Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Going back to the Nank deliberate OOB in the 1st quarter. I reckon thats the 1st time that has ever been paid when our defender is within 1m of the ball. Guess who paid it? Yep it was Ray "look at me" Chamberlain. Remind me again, why does he have a nickname?? We don't even really want to know the umps names, we aren't there to watch them, we are there to watch the football and they are their to ensure the football is played within the rules of the game. For the last time Ray - NO-ONE COMES TO WATCH YOU YOU FLOG.
For some reason, posh, the AFL seems to think that people do go to the game to watch the umpires. They want to make them the stars of the show. Presumably this will lead to more people wanting to be umpires. It’s not a bad gig. You’re never wrong, and even if you are, no one will ever call you out for it. They’re the ultimate koala (protected species).

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Charlie Curnow , politely, remonstrated with the umpire pulling his jumper (to indicate that’s what his opponent did to him). No 50m penalty, that rule was soooo May the 14th…..
That's what is most infuriating. The complete subjective nature of it. Farce AFL.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
NFL has various penalties for false starts, illegal motion, encroachment etc as the players get set before the ball is snapped. They typically equate to 10 yards, which is 10% of the field. Why on earth would AFL have a penalty for a player on the mark taking 1 solitary step that equates to about 30% of the field?

Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
NFL has various penalties for false starts, illegal motion, encroachment etc as the players get set before the ball is snapped. They typically equate to 10 yards, which is 10% of the field. Why on earth would AFL have a penalty for a player on the mark taking 1 solitary step that equates to about 30% of the field?
Leigh Matthews used a similar argument yesterday basically saying it was garbage from the AFL and over the top.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Good question BP. Morons at AFL.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
we are trail blazers.

first ever player penalised for a rushed behind: Luke McGuane
first player ever penalised for marking a ball in a game with a huge crowd when the touched off the boot call couldn;t be heard: Bachar Houli (and hasn't happened since)
first ever player penalised for appealing for a free kick that wasn't paid: Tom Lynch
It's worse than that. They change rules specifically because of us. Or target us with new rules. The McGuane call came after the rule was changed because the media highlighted Joel Bowden using the rules to his advantage. The "stand" rule was brought in because of a perceived advantage Richmond gained by being aggressive on the mark. That one pissed me off because there was a problem with manning the mark but it wasn't the way we manned it. It was the Hawks and Pies and lolNorf bocking the man on the mark. The existing rules could have been used to stop that.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

No wonder the umpiring is so bad.

They're a bunch of geeky virgins and grandpa's who like to get naked around young girls.

Of course the AFL would never release this report as it highlights the ump's are worse human beings than the players that get hung out to dry when they pinch a teammates bum

Last edited:
  • Haha

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Watched NRL Eels v Roosters.
Eels player penalised.
He challenges decision.
Video ref confirms he is right.
Ref then explains to crowd the decision.
Ref and player have a laugh and move on.
Perfectly adult approach.

Compare this to the hysterical kindergarten disgrace that is currently happening in AFL.
It is embarrassing.

My take on free kick bias...AFL wants close results for TV revenue etc. Money is king to AFL.
Umpires instructed to support this principle if possible.
Richmond success of the last 6 years has brought a deliberate attempt to reduce margins in our games..above others.
The simplest way is ..
1 change the rules to reduce our advantage
2 pay on an field advantage to the opposition.
I believe it is deliberate but considered acceptable as it is
policy of AFL for the bigger picture and greater benefit of 17 other sides.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Watched NRL Eels v Roosters.
Eels player penalised.
He challenges decision.
Video ref confirms he is right.
Ref then explains to crowd the decision.
Ref and player have a laugh and move on.
Perfectly adult approach.

Compare this to the hysterical kindergarten disgrace that is currently happening in AFL.
It is embarrassing.
Good point. Their game does lend itself to the review system with the stoppages etc.

Victoria did not get the nanny state moniker for nothing.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
we are trail blazers.

first ever player penalised for a rushed behind: Luke McGuane
first player ever penalised for marking a ball in a game with a huge crowd when the touched off the boot call couldn;t be heard: Bachar Houli (and hasn't happened since)
first ever player penalised for appealing for a free kick that wasn't paid: Tom Lynch
Riewoldt getting done for studs up

• Angry

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We are the only team which averages less than 20 free kicks for per game.

We are the only team which averages less than 19 free kicks for per game.

Let that sink in, not only do we have the lowest frees for per game, we are a massive outlier.

Gold Coast are next on 20.22 frees for per game.

Richmond are on 18.11 frees for per game.

That's 2 free kicks per game less than any other team in the league.

WTF?

Every team infringes the rules less when they play us?

Yeah, right, I can see the pigs flying past the window as I type.

Something is seriously wrong with the way we are adjudicated.

DS

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We are the only team which averages less than 20 free kicks for per game.

We are the only team which averages less than 19 free kicks for per game.

Let that sink in, not only do we have the lowest frees for per game, we are a massive outlier.

Gold Coast are next on 20.22 frees for per game.

Richmond are on 18.11 frees for per game.

That's 2 free kicks per game less than any other team in the league.

WTF?

Every team infringes the rules less when they play us?

Yeah, right, I can see the pigs flying past the window as I type.

Something is seriously wrong with the way we are adjudicated.

DS
Last for frees and first for frees against in 2022.

Hammered on both sides of the ledger.

We’ll set a new AFL record for differential at this rate.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
I just cannot get ones head around that Gill & Co introduce these additional twerp rules year in & year out. So what is next years new rule ?. Maybe gender equality 50% male female umpires which would include field ,boundary & goal.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I just cannot get ones head around that Gill & Co introduce these additional twerp rules year in & year out. So what is next years new rule ?. Maybe gender equality 50% male female umpires which would include field ,boundary & goal.
Imagine how many sexual harassments cases they'd have to bury and pay-out in that instance.

The club distributions would be halved.

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
Now that is a post with some depth that actually creates a meaningful discussion about umpiring.

I'm not with you on the Lynch one. With everything that has happened this season and the spotlight on it, how dumb is Lynch to yell out to the umpire and remonstrate with the decision? That's real individual over team, not focussing on what you control type behaviour.

The Baker one I don't really understand as I think it is stand rule related and I'm not across how that rule works exactly. I did notice though that someone who would have contemporary knowledge about that rule in Buckley knew immediately that Baker had done the wrong thing and agreed with the decision. He then bags the 50 length so he's not just cheerleading umpires. I'd back his knowledge of the rule over mine.

Looking forward to having a look at all the rest when I have time later.
Who said Tom 'yelled' and 'remonstrated' with the decision...looked/sounded like a question asked of the Maggot!

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
And I reckon those NFL are harsh. But I think they just want to eliminate any ambiguity at the start of each play as it's such a game of millimetres . On the mark micro movements have nowhere the ramifications. Even running in the protected zone rarely changes the kickers intent.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Who said Tom 'yelled' and 'remonstrated' with the decision...looked/sounded like a question asked of the Maggot!
Yeh, he yelled to get Ray's attention. He then demonstarted how his arm was held down, nothing disrespectful about it. But I guarantee Ray will argue he is doing it for the kids. It is not about him but about the future of umpiring.

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Did he really remonstarte? He actually just tried to get his attention and point out he had been held by the arm. Watch the replay, there was no animosity or anger.

There was no "decision", does there have to be a decision to be dissent?

The protected area extends 5m behind the player that marks the ball and 10m out either side of him. In the replay Baker is clearly within that radius and as the nearest tiger was the one to go to the mark. Buckley was wrong.

I wish I could edit and cut and paste the videos of the incidents.
the Baker one was borderline, pretty sure the rules say if you are in the 'protected zone" you have to get out the quickest way possible. my issue with that 50 is that there are plenty the same, where players come from behind to man the mark that arent paid.
same as Nanks. he prob knew what he was doing, but most of the time the ump will say there was a team mate there.

boltons was a 50 (ignoring the dodgy free). the whistle went Bolton continued on and kicked the ball. another time in the game the whistle blew for a free to us. players stopped. the hawks with the ball continued on and kicked the ball. no 50.

the one free we got for holding the ball, the tackler got off the hawk player who was penalised, the hawk player then let go of the ball, leaving it on the grround. no 50. a few weeks ago Balta had a 50 paid against him when his opponent was holding the ball against Balta. Noah never grabbed the ball, or held it. his opponent let go of it, and Balta was penalised 50 for not giving it back.

the game is incredibly hard to umpire, but there are massive inconsistencies in the way it is umpired, both week to week and within games. and we appear to be on the wrong end of many of the "inconsistent" interpretations.

Reactions: 7 users