US AFL Combine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

US AFL Combine

Harry said:
how does it work if more than one club is interested? does the player choose which club he wants?
Pretty sure he does. He's outside the system and never been a registered player.

Heard that his tap reach for a centre bounce is 30cm higher than any current player
Sign him up

Mason Cox International Rookie

Looked around, I couldn't see a thread on this so here goes.

I was listening to Hungry for Sport this morning and they devoted a lot of time to this guy. He is an American at 211.4cm and is faster than Naitanui over 10 meters and his vertical jump apparently has to be seen to be believed. A basketballer and an amazing natural athlete by all accounts. Four clubs are in the running now to get him, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Collingwood and Richmond. Not surprisingly if he became an AFL footballer he would be the tallest in the league.

Today he is spending the day at punt road and apparently we are giving him the red carpet treatment to try and sign him up. Kevin Bartlett was excited by the sound of him and I must admit I was too. Certainly Hampson would not be celebrating if we got him. If it's a choice between two players that go invisible after a ball up and throw in, chances are you'd go with the 7 footer every time. Hope we get him.

Re: Mason Cox International Rookie

I've been really hoping we pick him up. At least we are trying which is encouraging.

There is a thread discussing Mason here:

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=49730.msg1727855#new

I agree too. Get him .

We Couldn't do any worse, could we? But I doubt he would come to us.

Tigertool said:
I've been really hoping we pick him up. At least we are trying which is encouraging.

There is a thread discussing Mason here:

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=49730.msg1727855#new

I don't.

The guy is 23 years old, has only played non contact sport with a round ball. So he is tall and can run (over short distances) and jump, does that make him a footballer?

If he was 19 or 20 and comes from Irish football or even if he was from American Football, maybe, but at that age and has never played with an oval ball? Rookie him maybe if you got the hots for him but that's all.

buenavista said:
I don't.

The guy is 23 years old, has only played non contact sport with a round ball. So he is tall and can run (over short distances) and jump, does that make him a footballer?

If he was 19 or 20 and comes from Irish football or even if he was from American Football, maybe, but at that age and has never played with an oval ball? Rookie him maybe if you got the hots for him but that's all.

What is there to lose from it? He's 211cm, quick and can jump over Nic Nat. He isn't going to occupy a spot on the main list, and won't even take a spot on the rookie list as he will be an international rookie.

If if comes off, you potentially end up with a superquick dominant ruck. (Will take many years though, obviously.) At worst we waste an international rookie space.

Tigertool said:
What is there to lose from it? He's 211cm, quick and can jump over Nic Nat. He isn't going to occupy a spot on the main list, and won't even take a spot on the rookie list as he will be an international rookie.

If if comes off, you potentially end up with a superquick dominant ruck. (Will take many years though, obviously.) At worst we waste an international rookie space.

Just another unnecessary distraction from the main game, a la O'Reilly and Simon.
When our recruiting team finally work out how to nail ND picks in rounds 2 and beyond, then we can start trawling in international waters for highly speculatjve, low percentage, 5 year project players.

17 said:
Just another unnecessary distraction from the main game, a la O'Reilly and Simon.
When our recruiting team finally work out how to nail ND picks in rounds 2 and beyond, then we can start trawling in international waters for highly speculatjve, low percentage, 5 year project players.

I don't see how we won't be able to concentrate on the main game by having an international rookie? I don't remember anyone getting distracted with O'Reilly or Gideon Simon anymore then we did when we got Ben Lennon or Liam McBean.

Tigertool said:

Yep, it seems a low cost ( no cost?) speculative pick. Go for it. IF it works, big upside.

17 said:

Exactly. We are flat developing what we have and they have all been brought up playing the Aussie game. This sort of distraction is a bit of fun if the club is going well but not with the issues we are dealing with.

As for ending up with a "super quick dominant ruck" .... pipe dreams when he is starting from scratch at 23. Everyone is looking for the next big thing, Israel Folau is a perfect example, he is a magnificent specimen as an athlete, super fast, big, played contact sport, played with an oval ball and even knew how to take a high mark ...... didn't make a footballer out of him though, gone back to rugby.

minimal investment for a potentially massive return.

It's like playing Power Ball. Probably the same odds too. But most of us do it when a big jackpot comes around

Tigertool said:
I don't remember anyone getting distracted with O'Reilly or Gideon Simon anymore then we did when we got Ben Lennon or Liam McBean.

Didn't make footballers out of the first two, will make footballers out of the second two. International rookies don't develop themselves, do we try and teach an overseas guy the rules and where to stand or do we put that development time into kids we pick up because of their football talent.

buenavista said:
As for ending up with a "super quick dominant ruck" .... pipe dreams when he is starting from scratch at 23. Everyone is looking for the next big thing, Israel Folau is a perfect example, he is a magnificent specimen as an athlete, super fast, big, played contact sport, played with an oval ball and even knew how to take a high mark ...... didn't make a footballer out of him though, gone back to rugby.

They tried to turn Folau into a CHF/FF. Different position reliant on different attributes. Better to use M Pyke as an example as he started from scratch at 28 years old, but had some attributes for rucking in height and speed, which he's done pretty well with.

We couldn't even turn Derickx into a footballer. How are we gonna do it with this guy?

As much a waste of effort as the Irish players are. Can we just stick to basic recruiting and stop daydreaming fantasies?

Tigertool said:
They tried to turn Folau into a CHF/FF. Different position reliant on different attributes. Better to use M Pyke as an example as he started from scratch at 28 years old, but had some attributes for rucking in height and speed, which he's done pretty well with.

Yes probably is a better fit, but wouldn't have suited my argument! An International Rugby player, oval ball, tough contact sport (he was actually 26 but that's splitting hairs he was older than Mason). The major point though is he joined a successful club. I did say OK if we were a successful club. At the moment we are flat out and going backwards at the moment.