Water threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Water threads [Merged]

Re: Melbourne's Water Update

TigerForce said:
It's been a dry winter this year and this summer could end up in disaster as far as water usage goes.

I've noticed huge rains in Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Hobart and recently in Perth, but for some mysterious reason, hardly any huge rains in Melbourne.

Funny that for 2 reasons.

1. We are actually in a La Nina period, not El Nino, which means we should be getting more than normal rain.

2. The Gulf Stream appears to be collapsing with the rise in water temperatures. If it does collapse the world will be hit by an Ice Age much quicker than what scientists have previously expected. The effect will have a diabolical effect on Victoria's grain belt. Melbourne/Victoria's unusual lack of rainfalls are consistent with a collapsing Gulf Stream.

Phantom said:
Funny that for 2 reasons.

1. We are actually in a La Nina period, not El Nino, which means we should be getting more than normal rain.

Actually the La Nina looks like ending early (again :mad:). You can see the SOI graphs on this at the BOM (they update quite regularly, its a great site).

Great stuff Tiger74.

http://www.bom.gov.au/silo/

This is a great page.

I used to live on it back in my days as a commodity trader.

Thankfully out of dairy now - must be full on with the drought and the dollar, but still keep an eye on it all (old habits :D)

Real danger signs now.

A week of strong rains and the reserves haven't lifted.
They haven't declined further but they're not lifting.

Very worrying.

http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water/weekly_water_update/weekly_water_update.asp?bhcp=1

IF we are indeed approaching a summer of dwindling reserves,why are these guys down at Wonthagi protesting against the de sal plant.i would have thought that we are fast approaching a period of where drastic action is required.
Do these guys have genuine concerns or is it simply a case of "not in my backyard"

One would suggest the latter.

Pitfalls of democracy, a *smile*-weak State government.

I love NIMBY's

The hate coal because it pollutes and dams because they destroy the environment, but......

you cannot have desal because it ruins the beach view for my B&B
you cannot have recycled water because its made from poo
you cannot have industry minimization because it costs jobs
you cannot have consumer minimization because your garden dies

you cannot have nuclear because I don't want green kids and its an eyesore
you cannot have gas because its still a carbon emitter, if it blows up I don't want dead kids, and its an eyesore
you cannot have wind because it makes the hills look ugly

It seems the great idea for most of the NIMBY's is "shove it in the desert". This has a few problems though:

1) very expensive to freight resources to powerplants, and expensive to transmit the power back
2) there is no rain in the desert
3) the desert also has NIMBY's, who say this stuff should be in the city because they are the buggers who want it

Sounds look a good idea.Thats what we need more of ..............people with a vision

Further to this topic.Should we expect to pay far higher prices for our water,as it becomes a scarcer resource.....Maybe much like petrol

First time I've seen the Davidson proposal. In principle it seems a great idea.

Personally, the longheld idea of capturing the Ord river run-off appealed too, though that was a far greater distance.

C'mon Tim Holding, don't think, do!

Phantom said:
First time I've seen the Davidson proposal. In principle it seems a great idea.

Personally, the longheld idea of capturing the Ord river run-off appealed too, though that was a far greater distance.

C'mon Tim Holding, don't think, do!

The Ord is a funny one, it gets raised regularly, but always falls over. Other than cost, do you know the issues for it? I'm assuming it doesn't have the same issues the Nth Queensland (mountains) and Tasmanian (Bass Strait) options have had, which have made the engineering and pumping requirements expensive. The only thing I can think of is power, but with the new mining developments there that shouldn't be an issue any more (you would think).

Tiger74 said:
The Ord is a funny one, it gets raised regularly, but always falls over. Other than cost, do you know the issues for it? I'm assuming it doesn't have the same issues the Nth Queensland (mountains) and Tasmanian (Bass Strait) options have had, which have made the engineering and pumping requirements expensive. The only thing I can think of is power, but with the new mining developments there that shouldn't be an issue any more (you would think).

As far as I know, it has always been an issue of the cost of pumping the water cross-continent. But then again, the urgency has never been as great as it is now.

The Tassie option does look good, if accurate.

Phantom said:
As far as I know, it has always been an issue of the cost of pumping the water cross-continent. But then again, the urgency has never been as great as it is now.

The Tassie option does look good, if accurate.

People always underestimate pumping. Between the infrastructure needed to support the pumping stations, and the power needed to drive them, it ain't cheap.

That being said, if the price of water rises, this because economically feasible. I know there is massive political pressure to keep water cheap, but this will have to change over the next 10-100 years.

Did you follow the QLD plan? Beattie can out with this grand vision of filling Brisbane dams with waters from the tropical north. Unfortunately he was unaware that it had been look at a bucket load of times previously (never stopped a poli claiming an idea as his own though), and that it would cost a fortune to either pump over the mountains, or drill through them.

Last I heard the vision had been filed away in the shredder

On that note the Snowy Mountains Scheme may never have been built today.

Phantom said:
On that note the Snowy Mountains Scheme may never have been built today.

Slightly different mate, its easier to get stuff down a hill than through it.

With all this stuff it comes down to cost. Anything is possible as long as you want to pay a higher water price, or pay higher taxes.

wouldnt get away with using cheap migrant labour this time either.

Phantom,
I was just wondering if you are aware of the effects of logging in a catchment areas.

Do you think this could be factor in Melbourne's water storages?