Water threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Water threads [Merged]

Re: Weekly water update [Merged]

Tiger74 said:
July was not a good month (August little better), but one good thing is it seems people are still saving water which is great.

Much better than in QLD. Heard on Radio National even with the floods of this week, they are likely to hit stage 6 soon. Beattie was in denile about this issue for ages, and pulled the restrictions issue way to late in my opinion.

This country's going to turn into the next Sahara desert in the next few years.

Well, cricket season is beginning with some real problems.

The winter thaws have come & gone, and we still didn't get past last year's figure.

http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water/weekly_water_update/weekly_water_update.asp?bhcp=1

STORAGES RECORD WEEKLY RISE OF 0.2%
27 September 2007

Despite recording very little rainfall for the week, Melbourne’s water storages have risen a further 0.2% (4,318 million litres) this week to 39.6% (702,057 million litres) full today.

Rainfall totals for the week were between just 1.2mm recorded at Maroondah to 6.2mm recorded at O’Shannassy Reservoir.

While welcome, this weeks 0.2% increase means that storages are still around 115 billion litres below the level they were at this time last year when they were 46.1% full.

Average daily consumption from the system for the week was around 1001 million litres, down on the 5 year spring average of 1193 million litres a day.

Stage 3a water restrictions are now in place. Further details are available by visiting the Our Water Our Future website ourwater.vic.gov.au or by contacting the government water retailers.

At least this year water storages are still going up, albeit slowly. Last year they were already falling.

It's not the first time we've had a severe drought, and it won't be the last. Some of my ancestors farmed out near Nhill 100 years ago, and had to give it away because of drought. The horses were eating sand trying to find grass, and were all lost.

I think people had just got too used to having water in the good rainfall years, and now have to tighten up. The solution isn't to take the water away from irrigators for Melbourne either. If another dam had been built, the city wouldn't be in this situation as badly. How much has the population of Melbourne increased since the Thomson dam was completed? Around 1 million? That's a lot of water that needs to be supplied.

Jools said:
The horses were eating sand trying to find grass, and were all lost.

A lot of people had that problem here too. It's called sand colic and the horses really suffer, not that we have sand but dirt has the same effect.

There's big angst in our district about the proposed n/s pipeline and protest signs all around. All of a sudden the area has shiny new signs everywhere announcing new level 1 water restrictions even though there is still a real shortage of water. I can't believe they've dropped the restrictions so low. Wouldn't be because they can't transfer water from here to Bendigo if we had heavy restrictions here would it? ;)

Brumby urged to built new dam

Peter Flaherty
November 08, 2007 12:00am
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22720893-2862,00.html

THE floods that hit Gippsland this week were a terrible waste of water that should have been stored and used, Victorian farmers say.

Victorian Farmers Federation president Simon Ramsay said any new ideas to harvest or divert heavy run-off in the region before it flooded farms and towns needed to be explored.

Mr Ramsay was responding yesterday to renewed calls to build a dam above Glenmaggie Weir as well as a proposal to divert water from the Aberfeldy River into the Thomson Dam.

Mr Ramsay said capturing and harvesting Gippsland's floodwaters would also do away with the need to build a pipeline from the drought-stricken Goulburn Valley to boost Melbourne's water supplies.

"It's a shame that when we get great rainfall in Gippsland, Glenmaggie has to open its gates and people downstream suffer," Mr Ramsay said.

"There must be a better way to capture this water."

Mr Ramsay said he did not wish to comment directly on proposals to build a new dam on the Barkly River above Glenmaggie or to divert water from the Aberfeldy River to the Thomson Dam.

"But if the science is telling us that there is going to be more floods in Gippsland, and if we have an under-supply of water in the Goulburn Valley, then it doesn't take a mathematician to work out where future supplies of water should come from," he said.

Nationals leader Peter Ryan said the Gippsland floods made it imperative to assess the feasibility of building a new dam above Glenmaggie or to expand the weir's capacity.

"A lot of water flows through Gippsland when there is a flood," Mr Ryan said.

"With today's technology and our better understanding of the environment, we can build a system that benefits the environment, helps prevent flooding and boosts the local economy."

Mr Ryan said while the Barkly River north of Licola had been discussed as a possible site for a new dam, he would leave the location to the experts.

"But a new dam will have benefits for everybody if we do it right."

However, he said he would be concerned at any plan to divert water from the Aberfeldy River to the Thomson Dam.

The idea was floated this week as a way of using the river's excess water during floods to bolster Melbourne's water supply.

"Thanks to the Thomson Dam, Gippsland already supplies 60 per cent of Melbourne's water," Mr Ryan said.

"I think Gippslanders would be most reluctant to see any more of their water go to Melbourne unless they could see significant benefits coming their way."

Water Minister Tim Holding said the solutions to Victoria's water challenges were based around dramatically improving water-use efficiency by modernising irrigation systems and by finding non-rainfall-dependent supplies, such as desalination.

"The projects in the Government's $4.9 billion water plan offer the most secure water for our future," he said.

"More dams simply lock Victoria into an ongoing cycle of reliance on rainfall, and with drought and climate change this is an unsustainable and irresponsible strategy."

You know it makes sense Phantom.

i can't believe we're going to go down this desalination plant route first.

My two cents on this.

Its easy to talk post flood, but how often has this system flooded in the past 10 years? Not ruling it out btw, just wanting more longer term thinking on this than the HUN allows.

I think the dam will never get up politically. Too many remember the disaster that the Franklin was, and dam construction nationwide has dropped since. This is not just radical greens either, people get the heebees about flooding forested areas these days.

I think the divertion plan definitely has merit, and is worth a look at. Only issue on this would be if the flows are vital for the overall rivers health, in which case you get another environmental murder claim against you.

On the saving argument, I 100% agree. We have been in drought for 10 years, but city folk don't get it because they have only been inmpacted for 2. We need to have better water management and planning, which means using water smarter, and sourcing non-rainfall dependant sources. The Desal will do this, although I would also like reclaimed water to join the band (currently ruled out though because of people afraid of drinking "poo water", which they already drink when they travel globally anyway).

My next door neighbour chucked a fit at me the other day for using the hose to create an artificial waterscape on my front lawn. Can you believe it !

Cant wait to see his reaction when I wash my house and my truck with it next week.

Remember the days when people used to wash leaves off their drive-way with a hose.

Harry said:
Remember the days when people used to wash leaves off their drive-way with a hose.

What do you mean by "Remember the days..." ?

I miss running around the sprinkler in my backyard on a warm sunny day.

Bloody drought, ruining my quality of life.

Harry said:
I miss running around the sprinkler in my backyard on a warm sunny day.

Bloody drought, ruining my quality of life.

Bet your neighbours are happy though.

Word on the street is old Harry loves running under the old Pope fan sprinkler with his bits flying loose and free. Not a good picture to see when you are walking your dog (especially when he bends over to pick up the paddle-pop he drops :vomit)

BIG WET BOOSTS STORAGES TO 2007 HIGH
8 November 2007
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water/weekly_water_update/weekly_water_update.asp?bhcp=1

More than 170mm of rainfall across the Thomson catchment plus good totals in the three other major Melbourne catchments has seen storages rise 0.6% (10,605 million litres) this week to 40.4% (716,797 million litres) full today.

The welcome rainfall has meant that storages are now at their highest level all year. At the same time last year they were 43.0% full (762,976 million litres). (So we are still yet to reach 2006 levels.)

The wet weather also saw average consumption drop back to around 962 million litres per day this week, more than 230 million litres lower than the spring daily average over the last five years of 1193 million litres.

Stage 3a water restrictions are in place until June 30 next year. Further details are available by visiting the Our Water Our Future website at ourwater.vic.gov.au or by contacting the government water retailers.

I live very close to the aberfeldy river and thomson dam and as for the above proposals a few things should raised .
1. Before june the glenmaggie weir was close to empty appart from the enviromental flows which topped it up and then gave irrigation supplies to farmers.
2. the aberfeldy river is not a large body of water and is more of a trickle it only has enough flows to pipe water to the thomson in significant rain events 40mm< and in these events the river may only rise for maybe 24hrs

These are both options but we have only had three significant rain event in 10yrs two in the last 5 months, other than that would it be economically viable

hillmen said:
I live very close to the aberfeldy river and thomson dam and as for the above proposals a few things should raised .
1. Before june the glenmaggie weir was close to empty appart from the enviromental flows which topped it up and then gave irrigation supplies to farmers.
2. the aberfeldy river is not a large body of water and is more of a trickle it only has enough flows to pipe water to the thomson in significant rain events 40mm< and in these events the river may only rise for maybe 24hrs

These are both options but we have only had three significant rain event in 10yrs two in the last 5 months, other than that would it be economically viable

Thanks for this, as this was my concern (making decisions on 5 months of weather which may be outside the norm). It will be interesting to see if the long run averages make this viable though, and what effect it will have on Gippsland farmers.

Melbourne's Water Update

Just in case some of you thought that Melbourne's water troubles were a thing of the past.

Although we have had some rain, Melbourne's water reserve have now slipped below its 2007 levels.
This means that is now, effectively, at an all-time low.

Seasonally, July begins what is Melbourne's crucial 3 month rainy season.
By October, we may well know whether we are in an emergency situation, or not.

Amazing that John Brumby signed off on a document today that effectively gave away more of Victoria's water off to our surrounding states.

Re: Melbourne's Water Update

Phantom said:
Just in case some of you thought that Melbourne's water troubles were a thing of the past.

Although we have had some rain, Melbourne's water reserve have now slipped below its 2007 levels.
This means that is now, effectively, at an all-time low.

Seasonally, July begins what is Melbourne's crucial 3 month rainy season.
By October, we may well know whether we are in an emergency situation, or not.

Amazing that John Brumby signed off on a document today that effectively gave away more of Victoria's water off to our surrounding states.

It's been a dry winter this year and this summer could end up in disaster as far as water usage goes.

I've noticed huge rains in Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, Hobart and recently in Perth, but for some mysterious reason, hardly any huge rains in Melbourne.