WEEK 1 FINALS 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

WEEK 1 FINALS 2021

Hope we don't change too much of our game plan. Tonight showed a fast high pressure game plan wins finals. Stuff this slow chip mark crap.

Reactions: 17 users
Last seen smiling during the playing of the national anthem. It was quickly wiped away after that.
Dog footballer.
Biggest front runner in the game.
He was kissed on the dik hawthorn picked him up otherwise he would be playing for Balwyn.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope we don't change too much of our game plan. Tonight showed a fast high pressure game plan wins finals. Stuff this slow chip mark crap.
We were tired Harry.
Our first 6-7 games we were playing well.
The Footscary, Port and Essendon game's showed when we were on we were very hard to beat.
A good break will have us cherry ripe to go again next year.
We need another midfielder and a better quality winger.
Seedsman and Hooper/Mitchell

David King just said the same thing, how they capitulated to our chaos game the last 2 times.

Agree! The forward handball game and pressure is king but I noticed port still controlled it coming out of defence and around the wings
When we come out of defence mostly shorty he just bombs it to a 50/50 contest which more times than not gets rebounded back.

Tweak the game plan (even dimma said in his speech at the B&F) that the last 2 games they tried a few things and will get to work over the preseason with all the data they have.
We must also bring in a couple of hard-nosed mids as we need to reverse the trend against us in clearances and stoppages.

Reactions: 1 users
Je$$a Cameron the only player on the field not to have a contested possession tonight. Money well spent Handbaggers! Lol

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Then they'll likely play Brisbane or Melbourne. Hmmmm. Really need them to lose next week.
Both of whom beat them last meeting too. Funny how even PRE posters are still easily fooled by the Moggies. GWS and Melbourne at GMBA too.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, that was fun, watching the entitled pricks from Geelong lose a final is always fun.

Interesting game.

Port looked a lot like we looked in 2017. The way Geelong were fumbling under implied pressure looked so much like what we brought in 2017 it just wasn't funny. When you look back at last year's PF you see how much pressure Port can apply, we were pretty much the same in that game but came out on top. I would actually say Port were very slightly better tonight than last year. Even when the ball went to a couple of Geelong players a Port player would manage to run to the contest and make it hard for Geelong. Port's numbers at the ball and in support to receive a handpass from a player under pressure was impressive. I hope Dimma and co watch that game, it shows where the adjustments need to be made, not a change of game plan, just some adjusting needed. When we played Port earlier this year it was a game of 2 sides applying pressure, Port have managed to keep it going to the finals, we didn't.

One revealing thing, I looked at 3/4 time at the Footy Live app. Geelong had 3 goals to that point and all had been kicked from around 45-50 metres out. Apart from the Hawkins goal in the last, all of their goals were from at least 45 metres out. Port's defence was destroying the much vaunted Geelong forwards and never gave them a chance, something we did for 4 years and hopefully can do again.

I'm not convinced this is a normal season (ya reckon!!) but, while it is generally the case that the losing QF team goes on to win the semi the week after, I can really see GWS or Sydney beating Geelong next week. Not entirely convinced Sydney can bring the pressure, but I reckon GWS can and that is how you beat Geelong. Sydney would need to out run Geelong. Without Stewart, Sydney are a decent chance to get past Geelong's defence.

That said, Geelong are still a threat. When they play like they did tonight I almost believe Salty is a good coach, so many spuds when they are down. Geelong will regroup, this week's spuds certainly need to get a hell of a lot better though or they will be gone.

A couple if things for Richmond to take out if that. Firstly, when you look at how the likes of Rioli (when he was still playing forward) and Castagna were just in the wrong places in many games, you can see that we had not adjusted to some of the changes in the game. Port showed you can still hold the ball in your forward line, you would need to see better vision than you see on TV but there must be some differences in the way the ball moves that we need to adjust to. With the ridiculous amount of space the full back kicking out from a behind gets now it was noticeable how Port managed to stop Geelong from running 50 metres and belting the ball almost to half forward. Secondly, pressure still works, we need to get it back.

Interestingly, Port lost the clearances, and were smashed in centre clearances, 3-15, yet dominated the game - I don't think we want to lose centre clearances and clearly need to work on that, but, I reckon everyone will be looking at how Port's defence dealt with losing in the middle, and, how the Geelong centre clearances were affected by the pressure Port put on in the middle. I still think that it is not just losing centre clearances which matters, what also matters is that, when you lose a centre clearance, you need to ensure the clearance is under pressure and disposal is not clean and well-directed.

Fair bit to learn from that, one thing is for sure, Port are a real chance. Play like that in 2 more games and they will give it a shake. I reckon Melbourne, the way they have played this year, can handle what Port dish out but it would be a good contest. The way Port played tonight, if they can maintain it, I reckon the only teams that could go with them would be Melbourne and GWS.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Je$$a Cameron the only player on the field not to have a contested possession tonight. Money well spent Handbaggers! Lol

Took me a while to work out who "Jezza" was. To be brutally honest, as someone who saw Alex Jesaulenko play, nobody should compare Cameron to Jezza, Cameron is not fit to clean his boots. Jesaulenko was a star, simply a magnificent player. Cameron ain't.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
Port play the closest to our style in the comp. It's why us v port games have been so exciting snd entertaining of late
Yep. Forward half pressure game. They had injuries earlier in the year but have got their best players back.

You add the carpet ride they got from the umpires and it’s maybe more like 12 goals.
What? You mean you weren't fooled by the turnaround and even up from late Q3 when clearly the match was almost definitely decided, to make the FKD look insignificant? Come on!

Yeah that was a smashing. Port absolutely dominated Geelong form halfway through second quarter. Hard to come back from that especially with so many shitcarts and pensioners in the side.
Yeh the cats last 6 quarters have yielded 6 goals? Horrible form. Old team. The usual suspects go missing in a big game. Happy days.

Yeh the cats last 6 quarters have yielded 6 goals? Horrible form. Old team. The usual suspects go missing in a big game. Happy days.
But lyoldo said they would be unstoppable.
I can't believe it.
That's there average score in finals since 2017. 50 pts.

Stewart is a massive loss for the Cats. Looked way less composed in defence than they have for most of the year.

What a shame.
He did play in 2017, 2019 and in last year's Gf. For the same result. Let's not make out Geelong were missing Gary Ablett senior

• Love
Reactions: 6 users