Welcome Bigoa Nyuon | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Bigoa Nyuon

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Recruited with the junk pick we accepted for Butler. What a schemozzle. But hey, we're good to deal with, right?
When Butler left he was uncontracted, out of the team and arguably behind Castagna, Rioli, Stack (3rd in rising star that year), Baker and Higgins (4th in rising star in 2018) when competing for a spot.

This was not quite the “schemozzle” of a decision it is often made out to be around here.

Reactions: 10 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yeah nah - thanks Biggie but if we get upset with serious fringe players leaving after not being able to step up then we have a problem on here.

Give ‘em 2, 3, 4 years then if they don’t make it, say thanks and move on as these players are list cloggers in the true sense and they ensure the club sits in the lower middle of the ladder till we can upgrade them.

Compare Biggie (2019 draft pick 54) to Tyler Young (rookie selection in 2022) who took his chance, stepped up and became a regular in the season - chalk and cheese to me.

Reactions: 14 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Good result for Biggy was done at the RFC and he gets at least another 2 years in the system to make some good coin.
Frees up a list spot, and some salary cap relief, if nothing else.
The $50 bucks a week we were paying him, could get another free agent over the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Compare Biggie (2019 draft pick 54) to Tyler Young (rookie selection in 2022) who took his chance, stepped up and became a regular in the season - chalk and cheese to me.

The contra to this though is whilst Young hadn't played a lot of footy, physically he is far more developed, being 2 and a half years older than Biggie.

Not saying I'm fussed keeping him, I think he lacks the competitiveness needed but there is a physical benefit of drafting thats are 24 compared to 18 year olds.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Athletically gifted but not competitive enough for my liking.
He has all the tools to be an AFL player except that and I am not sure he will ever get it.
Better off recruiting someone from the state leagues imo for a bit more depth.

Reactions: 5 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
When Butler left he was uncontracted, out of the team and arguably behind Castagna, Rioli, Stack (3rd in rising star that year), Baker and Higgins (4th in rising star in 2018) when competing for a spot.

This was not quite the “schemozzle” of a decision it is often made out to be around here.
Ultimately, it's zero return for a premiership player and an outstanding clubman.

Zero return for a speedy, gut-running tackling machine and proven goal-kicker who has played nearly every game in the past four seasons.

Right now, we'd have him back in a heartbeat. Problem is, we gave away his best years. For a junk pick.

There was no dividend to Richmond whatsoever from this trade.

It was bad then and looks worse as each season passes.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Ultimately, it's zero return for a premiership player and an outstanding clubman.

Zero return for a speedy, gut-running tackling machine and proven goal-kicker who has played nearly every game in the past four seasons.

Right now, we'd have him back in a heartbeat. Problem is, we gave away his best years. For a junk pick.

This has been debated to death, but the main issue was nobody really wanted him much. St K were last man standing. It was crazy at the time, its much crazier in hindsight, but that was the main issue.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Athletically gifted but not competitive enough for my liking.
He has all the tools to be an AFL player except that and I am not sure he will ever get it.

From my work in junior footy, you either have it or you don’t. You can’t teach it.

Some people say you can will yourself in to being competitive, but I don’t agree. If you have that will you had the competitiveness in the first place.

Reactions: 8 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
From my work in junior footy, you either have it or you don’t. You can’t teach it.

Some people say you can will yourself in to being competitive, but I don’t agree. If you have that will you had the competitiveness in the first place.
Totally agree. As my mum used to say, "You can't put in what God left out."

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
The exact types we should be moving on. Has some athletic tools but no ticker. Will spend the next 2 years in the Roos VFL and then end up playing local footy.
Plenty of kids in the State Leagues that would be extremely hungry to have a shot and give it all.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002

Agree. Reckon in recent times we’ve drifted away from valuing players that are ultra-competitive in favor of other attributes in our drafting and it’s hurt us.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Agree. Reckon in recent times we’ve drifted away from valuing players that are ultra-competitive in favor of other attributes in our drafting and it’s hurt us.
The problem is we all want ultra competitors with great skills but with the draft picks we have had available the opportunity to find players like that are very slim. They have been overlooked for a reason and have a deficiency in some part of their games.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Agree you definitely either have it or you don't. You either have a will to win at anything or you are more relaxed around winning. That relaxed demeanour around professional sport just doesn't take you far.

I've always been ultra competitive and my daughter still remembers this, she was about 6 and we went bowling. I didn't have the best game and she had a great one (had the sides up which helped) but it came down to the last frame. She begged me to roll a gutter ball, so I threw down a strike. Haha. I said I was teaching her a life lesson that you aren't handed things in life, but I just wanted to win. Maybe that was being a bad dad haha. Anyway, she still remembers that and brings it up with me (she's 15 now) and she's very driven at what she wants out of life.

Maybe 1 of the questions recruiters should be asking, is has your dad ever taken winning too far with you haha.

• Haha

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Agree you definitely either have it or you don't. You either have a will to win at anything or you are more relaxed around winning. That relaxed demeanour around professional sport just doesn't take you far.

I've always been ultra competitive and my daughter still remembers this, she was about 6 and we went bowling. I didn't have the best game and she had a great one (had the sides up which helped) but it came down to the last frame. She begged me to roll a gutter ball, so I threw down a strike. Haha. I said I was teaching her a life lesson that you aren't handed things in life, but I just wanted to win. Maybe that was being a bad dad haha. Anyway, she still remembers that and brings it up with me (she's 15 now) and she's very driven at what she wants out of life.

Maybe 1 of the questions recruiters should be asking, is has your dad ever taken winning too far with you haha.
I won a game of laser tag at an 8 year old birthday I think with triple the score of second place.

Had the guilts and self reflective moments after but clearly enjoyed it immensely during.

• Haha

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

Nature article on competitiveness.

I think the key point here is.

——

In side-blotched lizards, the relative abundance of three male morphs differing in competitiveness exhibits both variation in space and oscillations in time, with the high-competitive orange morph predominating in some years and the less-competitive yellow and blue morphs predominating in others

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014

Consistency was always a problem for him except for 2017 when his tackle numbers were consistently high. His first 2 years, 2015 - 16, were spent in the VFL but he had shoulder issues and form issues back then. I recall he had a syndesmosis foot injury July 6, 2018. He was treated conservatively without surgery but it just linguered on for months until he finally had surgery mid-August which did not give him enough time to get fit to be picked for finals. Lambert had a similar injury in August but Richmond put him in for surgery much sooner so Butts would have been pissed about that. 2019 he was in and out of the AFL spending most of it in VFL even though he had some 3-goal hauls. Perhaps his foot injury robbed him of some pace in 2019? I agree that he could have been given another year but it's a cut-throat business and list management mistakes are sometimes made...perhaps this was one of them.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users