Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I thought his defensive efforts were greatly improved. Some nice spoils. It looks like he has the offensive game and is upping it on the defensive side as well

Agree, he can use that speed to get to contests and spoil. Such an advantage that with experience can make him a very valuable player.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

tbartiger

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2009
Qld
Changed my mind in one game. Wasn’t too sure about him until I watched him close on Saturday night.
Plenty to work with here. As others have said, just keep pumping games into him and he will end up well above average

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
wasn't sure about this kid, perhaps it was the mullet. Definitely looks the goods. Recruiters take a bow

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I thought his defensive efforts were greatly improved. Some nice spoils. It looks like he has the offensive game and is upping it on the defensive side as well

Yeah, commentators mentioned this... no easy kicks for the half-forwards with Hugo following them up the ground. Great endeavour.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Liked the way he was fighting for the ball in that never beaten Trent Cotchin way.

Plenty to offer us long term

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
I think we often forget the early career howlers from the greatest defender of the modern era in Alex Rance. Hugo will be a beauty. Persist.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Not perfect but takes the game on. Everything is flat stick. Max effort.

And pace, raw pace. You can’t teach that.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Raaallllph or Bobble????? I know which type of player I prefer n which haircut too.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Needs to keep his feet.
Its all good being eager for the ball and willing to dive in for it, but its not winning strategy.

Morris is now the reserves coach but was once the poster boy for over the top enthusiasm.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I think we often forget the early career howlers from the greatest defender of the modern era in Alex Rance. Hugo will be a beauty. Persist.
Not sure about the comparison to Rance but he’s definitely a persist. Has tools.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Changed my mind when i saw him diving on the ball has pace too… keep playing him develop him ross rcd are a bust and should be vfl only from here

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Typical Dimma/Richmond selection in the team for our running role players during this era.

Like McIntosh, George, LabLett, Rioli, Pickett, etc they are all hard at it but even moreso can burst run all day.

Foot skills on a few of the above aren't a strength. The same as this fellow. We simply rate the running/competitiveness component for those roles higher than nice footskills.

Best game for the club. Growing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It was his best game. He's growing by the week. But with Tigga back he's the logical out. Maybe Miller.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
You have banged on about Raalphy for awhile!
Interesting you say half forward, he looks a great fit behind the ball
He certainly does but i still believe his best position is wing/hF and will be a very good attacking goal kicking wingman
I have been on this kid since his early years prior to him being drafted to Richmond.

I would love to see him develop his inside game a bit and see him very much in a Cam Guthrie type player in 2-3 years time
Has the size speed agility and gives 100%

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I keep likening him to Cam Guthrie and have mentioned it here on numerous occasions but its the first chance i have had to compare their statts at the same age and was actually surprised with what i seen.

Guthrie already had 20 games under his belt and Hugo just has 9 so far , Whilst it may not seem like much of a difference its effectively 1 more season of development at that age.

Check out the comparison below , Its a good indication of what we may get as a player in 3 years time

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I keep likening him to Cam Guthrie and have mentioned it here on numerous occasions but its the first chance i have had to compare their statts at the same age and was actually surprised with what i seen.

Guthrie already had 20 games under his belt and Hugo just has 9 so far , Whilst it may not seem like much of a difference its effectively 1 more season of development at that age.

Check out the comparison below , Its a good indication of what we may get as a player in 3 years time
Does anyone understand how you can have better disposal efficiency percentage but more clangers?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
It was his best game. He's growing by the week. But with Tigga back he's the logical out. Maybe Miller.
Interesting times Spook. IMO the youth with potential need continuity and games at AFL level. And with some of our stars on the way back match committee need to balance the now without compromising the future.

Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
We have so far in 2022 found 3 players that are looking like best 22 players in 12 months time
Gibcus - Ralphsmith -Dow

Also some really good signs in the VFL with other players like MRj - Cumberland - Biggy - RCD - Miller and last years Kids
Judd - Sonsie - Banks - Brown all looking classy and skilled at the next level in the VFL

RCD - Stack - Biggy are really important to get games this year to continue the emergence of our next premiership
Im starting to really get excited about the kids

Reactions: 2 users