Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I've seen more in HRS this year, still think he can make it if he cleans up disposal and composure. He's a goer. Completely different player to Ross, but Ross way ahead in terms of development/maturity. The selection committee agree, but then again they don't understand football.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I've seen more in HRS this year, still think he can make it if he cleans up disposal and composure. He's a goer. Completely different player to Ross, but Ross way ahead in terms of development/maturity. The selection committee agree.

Come now Anty, you don’t need to cling to the old “selection committee agree” line, especially considering these players play different roles and there is variable depth for said roles. Vlastuin returning this week.

Be more confident in your assertions.

Having said that, Ralphsmith has more upside than Ross and this is clear as day.

Bolster the midfield further (as well as looking after the number one priority of key forwards) and Ross will be surplus to needs in 2024.

I hope y’all are prepared for that lol

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Come now Anty, you don’t need to cling to the old “selection committee agree” line, especially considering these players play different roles and there is variable depth for said roles. Vlastuin returning this week.

Be more confident in your assertions.

Having said that, Ralphsmith has more upside than Ross and this is clear as day.

Bolster the midfield further (as well as looking after the number one priority of key forwards) and Ross will be surplus to needs in 2024.

I hope y’all are prepared for that lol
There is still a lot more to footy than how far and fast you can run - and hopefully always is.
Ralphsmith will never be as good as Ross in my opinion

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
There is still a lot more to footy than how far and fast you can run - and hopefully always is.
Ralphsmith will never be as good as Ross in my opinion

It’s a matter of providing more value to the team and thus hurting the opposition more.

Call me crazy, but I would far prefer a patented Ralpsmith collect and go, breaking a line then delivering safely to a team mate, than a patented Ross collect and give to a team mate four metres away.

The harsh reality is you need more from your AFL midfielder and we don’t have the depth at the minute. Ross is a superb study and has trained and refined his game to within an inch of its life.

I come on here to disrupt usual proceedings and I often don’t give players enough love. Ross is an outstanding and loyal clubman at a time when he’s been denied first team access time and again. I genuinely appreciate the qualities he brings but I also genuinely believe he is just a smidge below level. Not his fault, has achieved more than most in the system.

Ralpsmith is well balanced and can run. He is well suited to a HBF and I think he’ll end up with more games than Ross. Nothing radical, just my opinion.

We’ve done well to squeeze some good games out of these latish picks. With Clarke, Banks and co still coming, hopefully we can say we have nailed the 40-50 range in recent times.

Reactions: 1 user

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
It’s a matter of providing more value to the team and thus hurting the opposition more.

Call me crazy, but I would far prefer a patented Ralpsmith collect and go, breaking a line then delivering safely to a team mate, than a patented Ross collect and give to a team mate four metres away.

The harsh reality is you need more from your AFL midfielder and we don’t have the depth at the minute. Ross is a superb study and has trained and refined his game to within an inch of its life.

I come on here to disrupt usual proceedings and I often don’t give players enough love. Ross is an outstanding and loyal clubman at a time when he’s been denied first team access time and again. I genuinely appreciate the qualities he brings but I also genuinely believe he is just a smidge below level. Not his fault, has achieved more than most in the system.

Ralpsmith is well balanced and can run. He is well suited to a HBF and I think he’ll end up with more games than Ross. Nothing radical, just my opinion.

We’ve done well to squeeze some good games out of these latish picks. With Clarke, Banks and co still coming, hopefully we can say we have nailed the 40-50 range in recent times.
Your first two paragraphs - you cannot possibly be watching the games properly, or certainly not going to them. That is just a complete misrepresentation of how Ross plays. You must have seen something earlier in his career when he lacked confidence and are just sticking to it.
He is about the only bloke that broke lines and hit people up against the Bombers for one. He is hitting targets consistently by foot and carrying the ball.
I don’t want to run Hugo down, but he makes worse decisions and executes worse by foot than Ross does - he may well improve and is improving last few weeks. Hugo also fumbles way more.
Anyway I can see this going nowhere if you think Ross is just a ‘collect and give it straight off to a player 4 metres away player’, and that’s it

Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It is a strange take from The Analyst/The Disruptor given Ross has been one of our best deliverers of ball by foot into the forward line in recent weeks. Against the Giants Ross kicked more than he handballed, while Hugo handballed more than he kicked. I can't remember too many little 4 metre kicks from Ross, but then I don't understand football so maybe I missed them.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Your first two paragraphs - you cannot possibly be watching the games properly, or certainly not going to them. That is just a complete misrepresentation of how Ross plays. You must have seen something earlier in his career when he lacked confidence and are just sticking to it.
He is about the only bloke that broke lines and hit people up against the Bombers for one. He is hitting targets consistently by foot and carrying the ball.
I don’t want to run Hugo down, but he makes worse decisions and executes worse by foot than Ross does - he may well improve and is improving last few weeks. Hugo also fumbles way more.
Anyway I can see this going nowhere if you think Ross is just a ‘collect and give it straight off to a player 4 metres away player’, and that’s it

Lol no way, come back to me when Ross is actually hurting the oppo with his dinky gives

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It is a strange take from The Analyst/The Disruptor given Ross has been one of our best deliverers of ball by foot into the forward line in recent weeks. Against the Giants Ross kicked more than he handballed, while Hugo handballed more than he kicked. I can't remember too many little 4 metre kicks from Ross, but then I don't understand football so maybe I missed them.
Those "4 metre kicks" sure add up don't they, Jack's averaging 317 metres gained this season, compared to Hugo's 245 metres.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Those "4 metre kicks" sure add up don't they, Jack's averaging 317 metres gained this season, compared to Hugo's 245 metres.

These stats cannot ever equate to Jack Lambert having more upside than Ralphsmith

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
You really do have trouble separating 'I disagree' with 'You are wrong', don't you?

We'll see who has the better career.

sure, but let's reframe it a little bit, as we are going to lose a lot of senior talent in the next couple of years

if Ross gets to 150 games at Richmond, we will have been a bottom six team for a few years

he won't win finals with us

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
sure, but let's reframe it a little bit, as we are going to lose a lot of senior talent in the next couple of years

if Ross gets to 150 games at Richmond, we will have been a bottom six team for a few years

he won't win finals with us
Well if you need to qualify your statement, go for it.

I reckon not only does Ross play more games than Hairsmith, we win a final with him too.

Let's revisit. Then you can call me wrong.

• Love

Disco Soars

Tiger Cub
May 8, 2023
Personally I feel he’s unlucky to be named as dropped.

He makes mistakes but I feel like he still shows a lot of promise & with more games he’ll be fine. Looks like a deer in headlights occasionally but not anywhere near as much as a young Dan Jackson who I remember would look like this regularly & significantly improved in this area over time. I think they’ll name him as the sub.

I am a believer
I agree. I reckon he'll be the sub.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
In his fourth season and has been dropped multiple times. He better improve quickly, or he'll be prime trade bait. And we need picks.
Definitely needs to improve disposal but trade bait? For another 3rd rounder? Herein lies the problem, we will keep our youngsters even if they're not quite up to it because we have so much old fodder to get rid of and replace. We simply won't have enough good picks to replace them and dump others. Imo we should have been realistic about premiership prospects a couple of years ago and started off-loading. Instead we recruited another 33yo (Tarrant) and have used up picks since. It's going to bite us in the next few years imo.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Those "4 metre kicks" sure add up don't they, Jack's averaging 317 metres gained this season,
FMD that's Rossy averaging 79.25 kicks a game. He's even out in effective dinky possessing Tom Mitchell. Kids a bloody superstar, sign him up long term, quick.

• Haha

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Just spent a bit of time moderating the thread. Seems like there's a bit of a angst in here.

Can I remind folks we're all here to support the Tigers, and try a little harder not to have a go at individuals.
There's the site rules, take a look if you need a refresher. We don't want to end up awarding special points for people because
they can't debate topics without getting personal.

Cheers - and lets hope ALL our Tigers players are successful, not just an individual so we can be right on a webforum.

Reactions: 7 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
1 x touch in 17 minutes as a fresh sub player, not good enough.

Back to the VFL