Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

the markov flick was unfathomable

Do you mean by us or Gold Coast?

We didn't flick him IIRC. He left to go to Gold Coast looking for more opportunity. I seem to recall hearing at the time that the club was disappointed to lose him. But really, at the time, he himself probably figured he was a fair way down the pecking order.

What I don't really understand is why he got let go by Gold Coast. He played 28 games across two seasons then they delisted him. Surely not the worst on their list at the time.

Reactions: 5 users
There is still a lot more to footy than how far and fast you can run - and hopefully always is.
Ralphsmith will never be as good as Ross in my opinion

To me it is all moot point anyway.

They are very different types of player IMO and have significantly different levels of experience.

I like Ross as a player. I thought he was outstanding for us in his debut season until he copped that ankle injury against the Dockers. He had a cracker first game for us. I think he is very underrated and has shown this season he has some real ability. Unfortunately his career to date has been disjointed, which I have largely put down to others being preferred at the time.

But............I hate him playing on a wing. I guess the club want to get games time in to him, but he doesn't look to have an affinity for the role.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly trade or delisting for me his momentum killer and has no footy smarts.

Reactions: 2 users
Needs to slide to the VFL this week. Not in our best 23 atm. Needs a full game

Reactions: 1 user
Hugo Ralphsmith (16 disposals, three marks, one goal)

"He played down back and on a wing and I thought he ran and carried and was able to overlap really well to break lines on occasion. But, we probably could have got more bang for buck from his disposal."

Reactions: 1 users
Never been a fan. Not quite sure what the appeal ever was.

Outside player with average speed, disposal and agility.

Disposal I agree with but average speed?? Who are you watching run around for everyone else Usain Bolt? There's a reason he won the GF sprint without breaking a sweat. Hes genuinely quick, just unfortunately by the time he's run so far with the ball, his disposal is usually rubbish.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Disposal I agree with but average speed?? Who are you watching run around for everyone else Usain Bolt? There's a reason he won the GF sprint without breaking a sweat. Hes genuinely quick, just unfortunately by the time he's run so far with the ball, his disposal is usually rubbish.
He’s super quick, but unfortunately for him, the game is about more than just running fast.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Said it before and I'll keep on saying it. Hugo's hair gets him games - the mane blowing in the wind makes him more noticeable. Hugo with a buzzcut is just another anonymous player with a bit of dash butchering every 2nd possession.

I think Hugo still has something to offer us. Not all players hit their straps straight away and he does have some tools that are AFL level quality such as his speed and overhead marking. I think his errant disposal is a symptom of composure which he still has time to develop. I'd keep playing him.

Reactions: 6 users
I think Hugo still has something to offer us. Not all players hit their straps straight away and he does have some tools that are AFL level quality such as his speed and overhead marking. I think his errant disposal is a symptom of composure which he still has time to develop. I'd keep playing him.
I agree that not all players hit their straps straight away, but Hugo is now in his 4th year.

Also can't recall too many instances of his overhead marking to label this as a strength.

How much more time do we give him to develop a sense of composure? Many times he has been out on his own with minimal pressure and he'll deliver it lace out to the opposition. And now he can't even hit a target at VFL level (see Steve Morris latest VFL report).

IMO Hugo was recruited at a time where we were much stronger as a team and did not place a high priority on disposal, as long as they fit into out system (same as Thomson Dow). Once the coaching and recruitment staff realised that with the stand rule, disposal was now of paramount importance they changed their focus. Every one of the superhunks kicking is significantly better than both Hugo and Thomson.

Hugo does have dash and speed, but the modern game now requires much more.

I agree that not all players hit their straps straight away, but Hugo is now in his 4th year.

Also can't recall too many instances of his overhead marking to label this as a strength.

How much more time do we give him to develop a sense of composure? Many times he has been out on his own with minimal pressure and he'll deliver it lace out to the opposition. And now he can't even hit a target at VFL level (see Steve Morris latest VFL report).

IMO Hugo was recruited at a time where we were much stronger as a team and did not place a high priority on disposal, as long as they fit into out system (same as Thomson Dow). Once the coaching and recruitment staff realised that with the stand rule, disposal was now of paramount importance they changed their focus. Every one of the superhunks kicking is significantly better than both Hugo and Thomson.

Hugo does have dash and speed, but the modern game now requires much more.

I'd give him a couple more years at least. He reminds me a bit of Oleg Markov who is now getting games in a top 2 side.

I'd give him a couple more years at least. He reminds me a bit of Oleg Markov who is now getting games in a top 2 side.
Trouble is Oleg is 27 and into his 8th season. HRS is 21 and in his 4th. You can’t hold onto players who aren’t performing til they’re 27 and into their 8th season til they do.