Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
Reminds me of Jake Lever. That's the last time I saw a young defender read the ball this well in flight.

Agree but i reckon he's a better defender than Lever. Has that knack of getting a fist in to spoil in uncanny situations as well as being a great intercept and attacking player. We've found a good one here.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Collingwood played one #3 forward (Mihocek) and one #3 back (Moore) tonight. And zero talls at either end.

Fly had no choice. No players available. So what we got was a laboratory. A game with one side fielding no talls.

McRae had to work the outnumber and the overlap all night. And that kept their score respectable. Not that they were ever in it.

Agenda of McRae - spring traps and disrupt Richmond's systems. Score cheaply. Agenda of Hardwick - develop and establish players in positions, build cohesion and connection. Conserve energy. Agendas at odds but inevitably favouring Dimma's cause.

Gibcus's game has to be read in this context. More on this...

Reactions: 6 users

The Sash

Tiger Cub
May 20, 2014
Collingwood played one #3 forward (Mihocek) and one #3 back (Moore) tonight. And zero talls at either end.

Fly had no choice. No players available. So what we got was a laboratory. A game with one side fielding no talls.

McRae had to work the outnumber and the overlap all night. And that kept their score respectable. Not that they were ever in it.

Agenda of McRae - spring traps and disrupt Richmond's systems. Score cheaply. Agenda of Hardwick - develop and establish players in positions, build cohesion and connection. Conserve energy. Agendas at odds but inevitably favouring Dimma's cause.

Gibcus's game has to be read in this context. More on this...
Love reading your posts Jack, but fu@&ed if I can understand them!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Thank you, sash. I don't mean to be obscure. I'm just inarticulate.

Collingwood had no tall forwards and no tall backs today.

Mihocek, if he got a game at Richmond would play #3 forward. He doesn't really play tall - he leads and plays at ground level. Because Caollingwoods are a *smile* side he masquerades as a tall.

(In the recent past Collingwooods were so desperate for a tall forward that they played Mason Cox. Agreed. That is desperate.)

Darcy Moore was flogged on the day because he is not really a tall back. He's a zoning back. He sags off and spoils a bit like Grimes or even Broad.

A real tall will not tolerate Darcy Moore. Actual tall forwards, even an out of form Tom Lynch will destroy pretender mutts like Darcy Mooore if he has to bat as a #1 back.

Outside of the pretender talls at each end Collingwood played *smile* Henry's skinny brother as a tall forward and.. yeah, that's it. Their forward line was full of smalls - lot's of run but no aerial presence. McBlotchley and 18yo Ginnivan the aerial targets. Sometimes the child Begg was sent forward. And of course, was useless.

We fielded Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt as actual tall forwards who hit the ball in the air. Classes above anything at Collingwoods and marking players.

In defence we played Noah Balta (a small but learning) at #1 back and the child Gibcus. They were supported by out of form Grimes and the busy but errant Broad. Supported in the air.

We played talls. A structure. Lynch, Riewoldt. Balta, Gibcus. They played running players all over the ground and no talls. So they could get the outnumber and the overlap. We got greater efficiency because talls thwart their attacks and maximise our attacks.

Reactions: 13 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
@Dyer'ere this is far to cogent. I prefer your posting where my brain strain to extract the deep meaning of your magniloquence. I know the meaning is there. And I strain.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Most spoils (7) and 1%ers (10) of any Richmond player.

Quiet the day. Did it all. Making it look far too easy.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Most spoils (7) and 1%ers (10) of any Richmond player.

Quiet the day. Did it all. Making it look far too easy.
He's so smart in the air and most of the time you don't notice his spoils unless your watching him closely. Doesn't try to punch it into the 10th row, just gently puts his fist in the way of the marking player.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Thank you, sash. I don't mean to be obscure. I'm just inarticulate.

Collingwood had no tall forwards and no tall backs today.

Mihocek, if he got a game at Richmond would play #3 forward. He doesn't really play tall - he leads and plays at ground level. Because Caollingwoods are a *smile* side he masquerades as a tall.

(In the recent past Collingwooods were so desperate for a tall forward that they played Mason Cox. Agreed. That is desperate.)

Darcy Moore was flogged on the day because he is not really a tall back. He's a zoning back. He sags off and spoils a bit like Grimes or even Broad.

A real tall will not tolerate Darcy Moore. Actual tall forwards, even an out of form Tom Lynch will destroy pretender mutts like Darcy Mooore if he has to bat as a #1 back.

Outside of the pretender talls at each end Collingwood played *smile* Henry's skinny brother as a tall forward and.. yeah, that's it. Their forward line was full of smalls - lot's of run but no aerial presence. McBlotchley and 18yo Ginnivan the aerial targets. Sometimes the child Begg was sent forward. And of course, was useless.

We fielded Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt as actual tall forwards who hit the ball in the air. Classes above anything at Collingwoods and marking players.

In defence we played Noah Balta (a small but learning) at #1 back and the child Gibcus. They were supported by out of form Grimes and the busy but errant Broad. Supported in the air.

We played talls. A structure. Lynch, Riewoldt. Balta, Gibcus. They played running players all over the ground and no talls. So they could get the outnumber and the overlap. We got greater efficiency because talls thwart their attacks and maximise our attacks.
Yes that’s true but the real beauty of our backline is that it doesn’t matter. We had 4 players above 190cm in the back half yesterday in Balta, Gibcus, Grimes and Broad and they all have the athletic prowess to play on smaller and taller opponents.
We have the capability to match up on a tall forward line or a short one with the same personnel. Bring Vlastuin into that mix as well.

Reactions: 6 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I'd rather hear my teammate say this about me than worrying about any rising star nom :)

Draftee Gibcus has been growing in stature week by week, and Broad said the first-round selection is "probably the most athletically gifted player" he's seen in his time at the Tigers.

"His endurance capability is amazing, his leap is ridiculous and he's a really smart kid, he learnt the structures so quickly," he said.

"His progression has been amazing, and he took another step forward on the weekend again, and for a key back, he manages to find the ball a lot, which is pretty impressive as well. It's pretty crazy to think he's only 18, so I think we're going to see and hear about Josh Gibcus for a very, very long time.

• Love
Reactions: 32 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I can’t think of anyone since Cotchin who after just a couple of games said Superstar like this bloke , yes Dusty turned out to be the almighty Superstar but the potential this kid shows as kpp is incredible

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I'd rather hear my teammate say this about me than worrying about any rising star nom :)

Draftee Gibcus has been growing in stature week by week, and Broad said the first-round selection is "probably the most athletically gifted player" he's seen in his time at the Tigers.

"His endurance capability is amazing, his leap is ridiculous and he's a really smart kid, he learnt the structures so quickly," he said.

"His progression has been amazing, and he took another step forward on the weekend again, and for a key back, he manages to find the ball a lot, which is pretty impressive as well. It's pretty crazy to think he's only 18, so I think we're going to see and hear about Josh Gibcus for a very, very long time.
Think of the athletes we’ve had/got at Richmond in both Broady and JackR’s (who said exactly the same thing) time at the club, re Air Gibcus’s natural athletic ability, and you get an idea of the magnitude of the statement.
1. Richo.
2. Alex Rance.
3. Noah Balta.
4. Shai Bolton.

I’m feeling giddy

Reactions: 1 users

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
He reminds me a bit of Darren Gaspar. If he reaches his heights I’m sure we’ll be more than happy.
I remember Dermot Brereton described Gaspar as one of the best marks he’d ever seen when they were at Sydney at the same time.
Definitely huge potential with Gibcus.

Reactions: 2 users