Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
  • In general, a Player judged to have played the best individual game of the round to be the basis of the weekly nomination.
  • When several players are judged to have played at a reasonably similar level, previous rounds / year to date performances are then taken into account.
  • The priority is to have the best performed 23 players nominated by the end of the season for consideration for the overall award. Therefore, in later rounds, year-to-date performances will be allocated increasing weight relative to performances in the round.

That's about what I thought except for the last bit. Seems pretty rational to me, stand out game, if there's not one of them then take a look at what else they have done as a tiebreaker.

The last section is interesting, I guess that is about rewarding someone like Gibcus who is having a great season for a young bloke but is a bit of a plodder in terms of impacting games. Again that seems fair enough.

Last round, Hobbs OK I suppose. Body of work? Not even close to JG. Last round JG down by his standards but those are high and he was still solid, as good as Hobbs. So 2 players, both play solid games, 1 has the superior body of work, plays a harder posi in a much stronger side, but the other gets the nod. Farce.

Think you are overstating how much difference there is in their seasons Tigersnake. When you compare the two there isn't a lot between them in terms of what they have produced over the season. Think your both playing 'solid' games is also inaccurate, Hobbs has played a much better game than Gibcus last week.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Think you are overstating how much difference there is in their seasons Tigersnake. When you compare the two there isn't a lot between them in terms of what they have produced over the season. Think your both playing 'solid' games is also inaccurate, Hobbs has played a much better game than Gibcus last week.
Fair enough on that individual game, raw stats wise sure. But I watched the game, I actually thought a few times watching Hobbs, geez I'm so glad we got Gibcus.

I'm not overstating the diff in seasons. And the criteria is fuzzy.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
The criteria is whatever Shitty Sheehan decides it is. As a confirmed Richmond hater the salty old campaigner nominates everyone other than our players.

The very late Stack nomination was a farce also and then Shitty Sheehan was the only judge not to put him in the votes.

The senile old prick needs to be permanently retired.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Reverse Centaur

Tiger Cub
Aug 10, 2020
Lad played a good solid game again. Love the way he plays to structure, enables our defensive strategy to be really effective.
Carlton’s aerial game was completely negated until McKay got some separation on Tarrant.
Regardless of RSN, we have a seriously good key defender going forward. Perfectly timed introduction to the team that enables him to learn from the best.
We were so fortunate he was on the board at our pick, major win for us.

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
This is how ridiculous conspiracy theories start so lets nip this one in the bud before it becomes facts.

There is a simple reason why Gibcus hasn't had a rising star nomination, he absolutely, unequivocally has not deserved it. Not even close.

Remember the Rising Star is not a who is the better player competition until the end, before that it is a who had the best game for that week. When you look at the nominees, they have smashed Gibcus' game each week. His best chance was round 6 but there was a blonde haired kid kicking 5 goals and winning the ANZAC Day medal that week.

Here is the comparison of each round winner v Gibcus. And let's never hear of this so-called farce again.

Round 1: Nic Martin (Ess) 27 disposals, 5 goals, Named best on AFL.com, 2 coaches votes. Gibcus 10 disposals, no best. no votes.

Round 2: Jake Bowey (Mel) 34 disposals, third best, 5 coaches votes. Gibcus 10 disposals, no votes, no best.

Round 3: Nick Daicos (Coll) 26 disposals, 1 goal, no votes, third best. Gibcus 8 disposals, no best, no votes.

Round 4: Josh Rachele (Ade) 19 disposals, 3 goals, 3 coaches votes, sixth best. Gibcus 11 disposals, no votes, no best.

Round 5: Jai Newcombe (Haw) 31 disposals, 9 coaches votes, named best. Gibcus DNP

Round 6: Jack Ginnivan (Coll) 5 goals, Anzac Medal, 8 coaches votes, named best. Gibcus 18 disposals, 12 marks, 5th best no votes.

Round 7: Jason Horne-Francis (Nth) 20 disposals, 10 contested, 400 metres gained, no votes, 2nd best. Gibcus 12 disposals, 6 marks, no votes, no best.

Round 8: Heath Chapman (Freo) 25 disposals, 12 intercepts, 92% efficiency, 4 coaches votes, not in best. Gibcus 12 disposals, 3 marks, no votes, no best.

Round 9: Corey Durdin (Carl) 19 disposals, 2 goals. No votes, no best. Gibcus DNP

Round 10: Joel Jeffrey (GCS) 5 goals, 3 coaches votes, named best. Gibcus 12 disposals, 3 marks, no votes, no best.

Round 11: Sam De Koning (Gee) 19 disposals, 9 marks, 11 intercepts, 2 coaches votes, 7th best. Gibcus 10 disposals, 1 goal, no votes, no best.

Round 12: Logan McDonald 16 disposals, 5 marks, 3 goals, 4 coaches votes, third best. Gibcus DNP

Round 13: Brandon Walker (Freo) 16 disposals, 6 tackles, 6 score involvements, 94% efficiency, no votes, no best. Gibcus 6 disposals, 1 mark, no votes, no best.

Round 14: Ben Hobbs (Ess) 22 disposals, 5 marks, 8 score involvements, no votes, no best. Gibcus 7 disposals, 3 marks, no votes, n bests.

Now Big Richo

We have had a conversation on these types of things before. I agree, it’s not a conspiracy - what it is though, it’s a farce, that’s what it is, it’s a bloody farce, straight up, in your face farce. You couldn’t get a more old fashion farce if you tried.

Let’s call it for what it is, it’s a farce - end the Gibs rising star nomination farce NOW.

Reactions: 6 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Lad played a good solid game again. Love the way he plays to structure, enables our defensive strategy to be really effective.
Carlton’s aerial game was completely negated until McKay got some separation on Tarrant.
Regardless of RSN, we have a seriously good key defender going forward. Perfectly timed introduction to the team that enables him to learn from the best.
We were so fortunate he was on the board at our pick, major win for us.
If we can secure a key forward equally as talented gee that really sets us up

Reactions: 1 user

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I reckon the lad is almost running on fumes… he’s been notably a step of his best positioning… so he’s either being physically bodied earlier, or he’s young in first season and starting to feel the physical pinch I reckon

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Now Big Richo

We have had a conversation on these types of things before. I agree, it’s not a conspiracy - what it is though, it’s a farce, that’s what it is, it’s a bloody farce, straight up, in your face farce. You couldn’t get a more old fashion farce if you tried.

Let’s call it for what it is, it’s a farce - end the Gibs rising star nomination farce NOW.

NAB Rising Farce award

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Godcus is very lucky in one respect. This week he will not play on Tom Lynch, who has no equal in the game right now.

But he will be challenged.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’m not fussed if Gibbo goes back to the VFL for a few weeks or stays in the AFL , I’d just like to see him play one spot for a while forward, back, wing , not fussed just let him train for a role and then play that role for a while , imho he’s been moved around too much lately

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I’m not fussed if Gibbo goes back to the VFL for a few weeks or stays in the AFL , I’d just like to see him play one spot for a while forward, back, wing , not fussed just let him train for a role and then play that role for a while , imho he’s been moved around too much lately
Less points than Prestia. Best to rest him for a few weeks and give Miller a chance.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
If he stays in (and he looks a bit fatigued), put him back - it’s what he knows. He’s a defender - Carlton almost ruined Weidering by trying to make him a forward.

Reactions: 1 users