Welcome Josh Gibcus | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Josh Gibcus

He let it out the back twice. Wet weather not suiting? Maybe, but Gibcus has been under pressure for a few weeks now.

We know Godcus gets air. Hovers effortlessly. Have we measured how much air?

In the Sydney game. Lance Franklin got air. Hit the ball at its highest point and took a huge grab inside 50. Gibcus trailed and leapt. He got no air. Unfortunately Franklin took the greatest overhead mark of his life 1m above him. And our youngster was already losing.

Against Port, there was a flukey wind. Marshall is smart and uses his body very well. Read it better, got position, held position. And kicked a couple on our man.

We had Noah in and he went back and Gibcus went forward. Kicked a goal, yeah, sure. But Gibcus won a huge ground ball and dropped his hands like Edwards to put our man through. Mmm. Maybe we could do this again. Gibcus forward.

Last night Gibcus was mainly good in defence. But was getting softer opponents. (Silvagni in the main?) Did well on leading opponents. But he had a few errant spoils near goal. He wasn't quite in position. Once he didn't get enough air. And he couldn't control the ball. It got out the back.

It looks like a confidence thing. We fed him the goal opportunity last week and he creamed it. And this week he started brightly and kept working.

I'm interested to see how we handle this.

Reactions: 1 users
He let it out the back twice. Wet weather not suiting? Maybe, but Gibcus has been under pressure for a few weeks now.

We know Godcus gets air. Hovers effortlessly. Have we measured how much air?

In the Sydney game. Lance Franklin got air. Hit the ball at its highest point and took a huge grab inside 50. Gibcus trailed and leapt. He got no air. Unfortunately Franklin took the greatest overhead mark of his life 1m above him. And our youngster was already losing.

Against Port, there was a flukey wind. Marshall is smart and uses his body very well. Read it better, got position, held position. And kicked a couple on our man.

We had Noah in and he went back and Gibcus went forward. Kicked a goal, yeah, sure. But Gibcus won a huge ground ball and dropped his hands like Edwards to put our man through. Mmm. Maybe we could do this again. Gibcus forward.

Last night Gibcus was mainly good in defence. But was getting softer opponents. (Silvagni in the main?) Did well on leading opponents. But he had a few errant spoils near goal. He wasn't quite in position. Once he didn't get enough air. And he couldn't control the ball. It got out the back.

It looks like a confidence thing. We fed him the goal opportunity last week and he creamed it. And this week he started brightly and kept working.

I'm interested to see how we handle this.

I think the coaches have thrown him in the deep end and are letting him flounder at times Jack. When it gets a bit too choppy, he's thrown forward for a reprieve. I like the way he's being developed. He's being constantly challenged, and has done very, very well for the most part.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the coaches have thrown him in the deep end and are letting him flounder at times Jack. When it gets a bit too choppy, he's thrown forward for a reprieve. I like the way he's being developed. He's being constantly challenged, and has done very, very well for the most part.
They threw him in the deep end against Franklin, St K. Less so against Marshall. And less so again against, Silvagni. We're scaling back his opponents to see if we can keep him in the side.

With Noah out we can't do the swingman gimmick, which looked really good once.

He's under pressure.

Reactions: 4 users
Was ok but not his best game. Seemed to struggle a little with the wet ball tbh.

I too think I've expected a little more in terms of his aerial strength. Maybe too much. Agree he looks to be flagging a little last couple.

Reactions: 1 user
Needs to build strength, I remember looking at him next to one of the Carlton forwards in Round 1, he looked like a skinny 1st year player without the years of strength and conditioning, next to a seasoned player with years of strength and conditioning - which is precisely what he is. He looked so small next to the Carlton forward. The very fact he can be competitive next to players who are bigger, stronger and more experienced is a testament to Gibcus' ability. A scary prospect for the opposition once he has the strength, conditioning and experience of a few years in the AFL.

Maybe time for a break, but with Balta out and Tarrant in doubt I can't see Gibcus getting a break this week. But, I can see the argument for a game or two in the VFL over the rest of the home and away season, or even just week off rested.

DS

Needs to build strength, I remember looking at him next to one of the Carlton forwards in Round 1, he looked like a skinny 1st year player without the years of strength and conditioning, next to a seasoned player with years of strength and conditioning - which is precisely what he is. He looked so small next to the Carlton forward. The very fact he can be competitive next to players who are bigger, stronger and more experienced is a testament to Gibcus' ability. A scary prospect for the opposition once he has the strength, conditioning and experience of a few years in the AFL.

Maybe time for a break, but with Balta out and Tarrant in doubt I can't see Gibcus getting a break this week. But, I can see the argument for a game or two in the VFL over the rest of the home and away season, or even just week off rested.

DS
He is young and slightly built. A week off and soon.

They threw him in the deep end against Franklin, St K. Less so against Marshall. And less so again against, Silvagni. We're scaling back his opponents to see if we can keep him in the side.

With Noah out we can't do the swingman gimmick, which looked really good once.

He's under pressure.

There are different forms of deep end imo. He got less help on Marshall than he got on Franklin. Also, they've pulled the swingman gimmick twice, both times with Balta out. In fact, rather pertinent to note, it was Balta that was moved to a non-preferred position upon returning, not Gibcus. If they wanted a soft kill for him, Gibcus would have played forward this week, not Noah.

He is young and slightly built. A week off and soon.
He's just had a week off with the bye shouldn't need another week off till the pre finals break. Gibbers way to good for VFL footy n simply on a massive learning curve playing senior footy at elite level.
Kids gunna have a bad day or two n make mistakes or get beaten at times by an opponent, but so does every other player in the entire comp. He's playing his role very well overall n learning elite defence off Grub, Flossy, Broady n Tarantula, keep him in n let him grow.

Reactions: 5 users
He's just had a week off with the bye shouldn't need another week off till the pre finals break. Gibbers way to good for VFL footy n simply on a massive learning curve playing senior footy at elite level.
Kids gunna have a bad day or two n make mistakes or get beaten at times by an opponent, but so does every other player in the entire comp. He's playing his role very well overall n learning elite defence off Grub, Flossy, Broady n Tarantula, keep him in n let him grow.
Fair enough but I wasn’t suggesting a return to the VFL,.I was suggesting a week off.

Didn’t Gibo have a week off after his first 4 or 5 games this year.…can see it happening again after another 2 or 3 games.

He is not in for a taster - which often happens - the AFL is his classroom - he graduated from the VFL on one pre season without needing to play a game.

I don’t think he was the reason the blues came storming back - the swans game maybe, well Franklin new he had a first year player manning him up and decided to take the game on.

Who does he get on Saturday - it will probably be one of Hawkins or Cameron- the teaching continues

Is not a one on one player.
Therefore should never play as a key back.
A move fwd is his best option.

• Wow
Who does he get on Saturday - it will probably be one of Hawkins or Cameron- the teaching continues
Needs to be a lot of dirty ball coming into the Geelol forward line next week or things could get very ugly in a hurry for Gibber n the rest of the defence.
Tommyhawk n Notjezza are a fairly serious forward combo so our mids need to bring maximum heat to the Moggies mids n there's no cheap n easy going in.

Is not a one on one player.
Therefore should never play as a key back.
A move fwd is his best option.
Got some growin n learnin to do before he becomes a one on one player. At the moment he seems to be looking like an early version of Grub, more spoiling negating defender with some better link up rebound capacity. Might grow into a very good interceptor like a Lever / Stewart, who knows at this early stage?
Considering the kids all got hardly any football for two years due to Covid, for Gibber to bypass VFL n slot seamlessly into senior footy is testament to his ability n composure. Got everything he needs to be an awesome player for a dozen years or more.

Got some growin n learnin to do before he becomes a one on one player. At the moment he seems to be looking like an early version of Grub, more spoiling negating defender with some better link up rebound capacity. Might grow into a very good interceptor like a Lever / Stewart, who knows at this early stage?
Considering the kids all got hardly any football for two years due to Covid, for Gibber to bypass VFL n slot seamlessly into senior footy is testament to his ability n composure. Got everything he needs to be an awesome player for a dozen years or more.
Agree early days.
Like to see him fwd for the time being though.

When’s an appropriate game to spell him? With Balta and possibly Tarrant out doesn’t seem this week. The Eagles game on July 3?

We've reached R15, he's played 11 games and still no RS nomination.
They can shove it up there ass.
It's a disgrace.
Did anyone see that Vilking playing for Geelong, a 34 year old who struggled to run, ripped him a new one on Saturday night.
But dead silence

• Haha
They can shove it up there ass.
It's a disgrace.
Did anyone see that Vilking playing for Geelong, a 34 year old who struggled to run, ripped him a new one on Saturday night.
But dead silence
Amazingly no nomination yet. Yet again!

So many as praising the young man’s ability and showing this year but I’m over it anyway.

It’s not going to happen. When the club, coach say it’s because he plays for Richmond, you can’t help but feel there is deep hatred for the RFC, it’s success and the fact a rule had to be ‘invented’ to put a holt to our domination. We were ‘Tigers’ on the man on the mark.

Let’s all forget this Rising Star nomination as Gibsus will not get one!

• Sad