Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Has really become a selfish bone-headed footballer. Continually calling for the ball when running on to his wrong foot. Then kicking it back to the opposition. Can't remember his last kick to advantage. Defensively poor. We are seeing the worst of Short at the moment.

Reactions: 6 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I have been a Short fan but winning the B & F was probably the worst thing for him. If he calls for another ball in the wet and kicks around his body when someone has a set shot 35 out straight in front I'll 'fair dinkum spew!' And he did that twice yesterday!!! If you do that you'd better fricking kick the goal!!
It would be interesting to compare stats of Short and Houli on the handball receive shots for goal. I doubt either go at a high %.

Short really has returned to the footballer he was before last year, with maybe a little improvement defensively. Chasing the easy kick then bombing it down the line often to no advantage.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Has really become a selfish bone-headed footballer. Continually calling for the ball when running on to his wrong foot. Then kicking it back to the opposition. Can't remember his last kick to advantage. Defensively poor. We are seeing the worst of Short at the moment.

when The SystemProcess breaks down, ALL the role players look really *smile*.

I dont think its their fault.

if you taught a bunch of soldiers how to run up hills and storm the opposition trenches, for 5 years,

then took them up in a helicopter and told them to jump,

they'de splat.

Its Hockings fault. The *smile* contrived and conspired to make us pivot at short notice.

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Does this time and time again. One year wonder. Need an upgrade.

Compare Shorts kicking to Daniel Rich. Miles apart.

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Had another poor game last night. Me thinks he has been drinking his own bath water. He won the JD medal last year and he was really good in the GF but now he is just an ordinary role player. It really is disappointing to see the decline of many of our players this season, Short being one a quite a few who haven’t brought their 2020 form into 2021.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Some people really get fixed on their whipping boys.

We have about 16 bigger problems than the reigning best and fairest.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
"Pop, you know how you say Dusty was the greatest footballer of all time?"

"Yes, child?"

"Jayden Short must have been a hell of a player to beat him for a best and fairest at Dusty's peak!"

"..."

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Some people really get fixed on their whipping boys.

We have about 16 bigger problems than the reigning best and fairest.
If only we could throw our best player Jayden Short into the middle when we're getting killed, or up forward when we need a goal.

• Haha

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
"Pop, you know how you say Dusty was the greatest footballer of all time?"

"Yes, child?"

"Jayden Short must have been a hell of a player to beat him for a best and fairest at Dusty's peak!"

"..."
Short quickly looking to the RFC B&F as Woewodin does to the Brownlow....you look back and think how the *smile* did that happen?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Short quickly looking to the RFC B&F as Woewodin does to the Brownlow....you look back and think how the *smile* did that happen?
It's a far greater injustice than Woewodin winning the Brownlow crap shoot. Absolute slap in the face to Dusty.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
If only we could throw our best player Jayden Short into the middle when we're getting killed, or up forward when we need a goal.
Shame we can't throw dusty at full back when we're leaking goals.

I'm sure you're happy we've lost a few so you can go can back to abusing short.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Shame we can't throw dusty at full back when we're leaking goals.

I'm sure you're happy we've lost a few so you can go can back to abusing short.
You're sure I'm happy we lost so I can abuse Short? Seriously?!

I'm not even abusing him. I praised him effusively last year. But he's back to his worst. And his B&F was a joke. An insult to Dustin Martin.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
You're sure I'm happy we lost so I can abuse Short? Seriously?!

I'm not even abusing him. I praised him effusively last year. But he's back to his worst. And his B&F was a joke. An insult to Dustin Martin.

Agree.

they should really call it what it is;

The Better than Expected, and drop the Fairest.

its generally the same at every club, at every level.

The BtE

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
It's not Jayden Short's fault Richmond's Best and Fairest voting system is fundamentally flawed.

But Jayden Short was accounted by that system to be our best player in a premiership year (in reality he was in the bottom half of the top 10, a great effort). This year he'd be battling to be in our top 20 - and he's played every game, I think. I don't think he's played one good one.

We're allowed to hold him to account. It's not picking on poor little Jayden, the plucky kid who defied the odds, it's expecting our reigning B&F to do more than run to the disadvantage side of a teammate and kick it to the opposition, while playing his opponent on a leash so long you need to wait for a stoppage to work out exactly who he's on.

Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It's not Jayden Short's fault Richmond's Best and Fairest voting system is fundamentally flawed.

But Jayden Short was accounted by that system to be our best player in a premiership year (in reality he was in the bottom half of the top 10, a great effort). This year he'd be battling to be in our top 20 - and he's played every game, I think. I don't think he's played one good one.

We're allowed to hold him to account. It's not picking on poor little Jayden, the plucky kid who defied the odds, it's expecting our reigning B&F to do more than run to the disadvantage side of a teammate and kick it to the opposition, while playing his opponent on a leash so long you need to wait for a stoppage to work out exactly who he's on.

Shorty is another limited player,

who found themselves at the right place, at the right time,

and played a role very effectively in a great side,

and became a premiership hero.

theres heaps of them; towner, butler, Castagna, short, graham, Kmac, Pickett, Caddy, Soldo, Astbury, Broad, Rioli, Bellis

It doesn't diminish their place in history. every premiership side has them (* although I think we had more than most, I'd posit, because we had Dusty) They are rightly, revered Richmond premiership heroes until the end of time.

but the always, almost without exception, they look very ordinary when you're losing.

Last edited: