Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I'll get Burger started ....

1. Steven Hocking
I know we love to blame Hocking but he has nothing to do with the crap we've served up over the last 2 weeks. Until midway through the last quarter agaent the Coasters things were actually panning out pretty well this year.

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
No matter who takes them, our kick outs are just about league-worst.
Agree. Player x takes ball. Runs to the members wing (if at the G) and kicks long to a contest. Rinse and repeat. So damn predictable.

We refuse to get creative. Safe as house but boring as you can get. It was comical at one stage last night when Astbury took it, panicked, kicked it 5 metres to Vlastuin, another errant handball, out of bounce.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
"Pop, you know how you say Dusty was the greatest footballer of all time?"

"Yes, child?"

"Jayden Short must have been a hell of a player to beat him for a best and fairest at Dusty's peak!"

"..."
Scary thought for you spook, there’s a hell of a lot of the team that hasn’t played all season , could we see J Short go back to back ?
Thought he had a crack a few times last night , however definitely not impacting at all , I’ll say it again , I’d try him on a wing opposite KMac , let him play as attacking winger , just see what happens as I’m not liking him down back , playing with zero flare and dare

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I'd say Soldo was just as vital as Nank before his knee injury
Definitely in 2019 , was a great combo , Id definitely give Soldo the nod in ruck contests, however around the ground I think Nanks as good as there is, both bloody aggressive and tough which we are missing , actually our last 2 rucks have been the complete opposite

Reactions: 1 user

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
It's not Jayden Short's fault Richmond's Best and Fairest voting system is fundamentally flawed.

But Jayden Short was accounted by that system to be our best player in a premiership year (in reality he was in the bottom half of the top 10, a great effort). This year he'd be battling to be in our top 20 - and he's played every game, I think. I don't think he's played one good one.

We're allowed to hold him to account. It's not picking on poor little Jayden, the plucky kid who defied the odds, it's expecting our reigning B&F to do more than run to the disadvantage side of a teammate and kick it to the opposition, while playing his opponent on a leash so long you need to wait for a stoppage to work out exactly who he's on.
Shorty voted BnF by the assistants that we have since lost & are now coveting

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Reckon Short is a bit hard done by here.

Last year he played a role - and that was to complement a fully functioning system with his own particular skillset.
Overall the system worked and he added his bit - and probably for a whole bunch of reasons - his game simply attracted votes in the B&F.

That system is clearly not functioning this season and he's no longer able to play that add-on role. But he's not on his Pat either.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Shorty voted BnF by the assistants that we have since lost & are now coveting
It's the system, mate. Every player gets a score out of 5 in every game. So two average games of 3 each where you might be the 18th-best player in easy wins puts you ahead of a bloke who was BOG in the first win and misses the second. Rewards consistency more than excellence; B&Fs should be about excellence. If Dusty's best game can only get 5 votes, no one else should ever get more than 4.

Have an old school Most Consistent award if you want.

And they clearly grade on expectation/role, otherwise we would have seen a result like the most accurate and coveted award in footy - the PRE player of the year, which Dusty won, with Vlastuin second, Shai third, Cotch 4th, Balta and Baker equal 5th and Short 7th. The Wisdom of Crowds - it's a real thing. Don't turn the Jack Dyer Medal into a McDonald's Award.

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
If only we could throw our best player Jayden Short into the middle when we're getting killed, or up forward when we need a goal.
Or even put him on the oppo's most dangerous small forward to shut him down?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Can you list the 16?
1. Steve hocking
2. Nank out
3. An aging list
4. Gameplan changes
5. Jake Aarts
6. Jason Castagna
7. A forward line that only has two goal kickers in it
8. Our two way runners constantly missing (Lambert and Prestia)
9. A backline that's had players missing all year.
10. Cotchy's form
11. Astbury's form
12. The rest of the competition improving.
13. Soldo out
14. Ross at half back
15. Pickett in the backline
16. RCD and Naish in the side
17. Shorty's form
18. Houli's form
19. Stack not in the side
I could probably go on.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Imagine if we had a reigning JD Medallist capable of stepping up when others are faltering. You know, like one of your best players would.

Reactions: 1 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Not sure if Shorty getting ahead of himself, or if oppo teams putting way more work into him.

Either way, he's had a poor season