Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I don't think he has kicked one of those run past goals since the double against the pies in 2018.

His kicking is a bit of a myth.

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I don't think he has kicked one of those run past goals since the double against the pies in 2018.

His kicking is a bit of a myth.
Always has been a myth. Kicks long but with little hurt factor. Last year was one out of the box.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
He has been back to his 2017 season's form.
I can't understand if you know your kicking has declined why would you constantly ask the ball off a team mate who is lining up for goal and have a running pot shot from 50?
He bent us over in the first qtr.
2 goals up early wouldve had Stkilda deflated

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
He kick the two goals in the first we win.
But he didn't. And we knew he wouldn't. He hasn't kicked one of those for three years.

The new rules make it tough for defenders to sag off and cover for each other, which is making life hard for Short. His kicking is not a weapon. Let's have a look at Mansell.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
But he didn't. And we knew he wouldn't. He hasn't kicked one of those for three years.

The new rules make it tough for defenders to sag off and cover for each other, which is making life hard for Short. His kicking is not a weapon. Let's have a look at Mansell.
Yep I'd play Mansell and Stack ahead of Short and Houli at this stage.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Short's long kicks just seem to go nowhere. He pumps it up the wing to no-one in particular and the ball gets turned over. This has to change, needs to work on where he is kicking.

I would add that we always kick along the boundary, every other team knows where the ball is headed - too predictable. We need to mix things up a lot more.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Did Short call a set shot off Dusty and miss last night?

It was a rough night, and ive been reacquainting myself with old destructive coping mechanisms all day, so I could be be wrong?

But if he did, he should be sanctioned in some inconspicuous way.

maybe traded to North or Collingwood?

• Haha

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Our kick outs after a behind have been woeful. Just deep to a pocket or flank even when we needed a spark or quick goals. Never see a long kick down the guts or a 50 m pass to a loose player. So predictable and easy to defend against!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Short has been poor this year IMO all season pretty much.

Forget his Dream Teamm points and stats which are padded out by kick ins and handball receives, he has not been impacting games as he has the past 2 seasons.

Has played lazy footy and is one of the players who have not brought it to 2021, obviously the JDM win and GF win has him feeling pretty good about himself.

That undisciplined arrogant 50 against the Eagles gave away a goal and handed them even greater momentum and essentially helped us lose that match and essentially killed off hopes of a top 4 finish.

He should've been dropped to have an example for last nights game, it was good enough for Caddy to be dropped in 2020.

Not enough examples set this season, players have been off it since the first Praccie Match.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Short's long kicks just seem to go nowhere. He pumps it up the wing to no-one in particular and the ball gets turned over. This has to change, needs to work on where he is kicking.

I would add that we always kick along the boundary, every other team knows where the ball is headed - too predictable. We need to mix things up a lot more.

DS
The whole idea of that rule change was to be more direct. Far too often, we go short & wide. May as well go to 1on1’s or even 2on2’s up the middle. Especially if it’s Dusty or Jack.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Short has been poor this year IMO all season pretty much.

Forget his Dream Teamm points and stats which are padded out by kick ins and handball receives, he has not been impacting games as he has the past 2 seasons.

Has played lazy footy and is one of the players who have not brought it to 2021, obviously the JDM win and GF win has him feeling pretty good about himself.

That undisciplined arrogant 50 against the Eagles gave away a goal and handed them even greater momentum and essentially helped us lose that match and essentially killed off hopes of a top 4 finish.

He should've been dropped to have an example for last nights game, it was good enough for Caddy to be dropped in 2020.

Not enough examples set this season, players have been off it since the first Praccie Match.

I agree.

Time for Dimma to go the Bevo selection school*

* which means dropping Shai Bolton

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The whole idea of that rule change was to be more direct. Far too often, we go short & wide. May as well go to 1on1’s or even 2on2’s up the middle. Especially if it’s Dusty or Jack.

Agree, short and wide is ok if you are trying for a play about 1.5 kicks away. We tend to go short and wide in an effort to get the ball as far away from the opposition goals when we lose possession. It ain't much of a strategy.

If the rule change was to stop teams going indirect it has failed. The number of teams going along the boundary line, or chipping it around, is legion. So many teams going indirect with the rule changes.

DS

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Agree, short and wide is ok if you are trying for a play about 1.5 kicks away. We tend to go short and wide in an effort to get the ball as far away from the opposition goals when we lose possession. It ain't much of a strategy.

If the rule change was to stop teams going indirect it has failed. The number of teams going along the boundary line, or chipping it around, is legion. So many teams going indirect with the rule changes.

DS
Agreed - can’t see the issue with taking the game on especially if we can isolate really good contested ball players for the more direct kick. Even going to centre square line would be more proactive than going short to the back pocket followed by a kick to a pack short of the wing. How would expect to generate a score from there?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

DS

In order to kick to a different option he needs the option. I was behind the Ponsford end goals, and believe me, our kickouts had nothing worth kicking to. Footy is a team game - we have to have the set-ups and the running to provide the option for kickouts.

You can't blame Short for going to the contest down the line - he had nothing else and it's not his fault our talls played like limp lettuce leaves last night. He can't kick the ball out and mark it as well.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I have been a Short fan but winning the B & F was probably the worst thing for him. If he calls for another ball in the wet and kicks around his body when someone has a set shot 35 out straight in front I'll 'fair dinkum spew!' And he did that twice yesterday!!! If you do that you'd better fricking kick the goal!!

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
In order to kick to a different option he needs the option. I was behind the Ponsford end goals, and believe me, our kickouts had nothing worth kicking to. Footy is a team game - we have to have the set-ups and the running to provide the option for kickouts.

You can't blame Short for going to the contest down the line - he had nothing else and it's not his fault our talls played like limp lettuce leaves last night. He can't kick the ball out and mark it as well.

Nothing to kick to from the other end where I was either. Hence the short kick and then the long kick to the wing where we lost possession.

We need to present more and provide more options, but Short also needs to stop just kicking it as far up the ground as possible because it just don't work.

DS

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Nothing to kick to from the other end where I was either. Hence the short kick and then the long kick to the wing where we lost possession.

We need to present more and provide more options, but Short also needs to stop just kicking it as far up the ground as possible because it just don't work.

DS
So if there is not a short option what do you want him to do? Like I say, he can only kick to an option if the rest of the team works hard to give him an option. If there's no realistic short option or fat side option then the full back will kick to the contest down the line every time, that's the %age play. Going down the middle is high risk but high reward, the way we played last night it would have been raining even more goals for the saints.

More generally the Saints did really well not allowing us to switch effectively, and we were pretty poor not preventing them from switching play.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
While I agree that we need more players to provide options down the ground, he would have been better off avoiding the kick to the 3 on 1 contests where we were the 1.

There needs to be some mixing up, someone needs to be an option in the corridor, at least that means the opposition has to block that option which ties up one of their players.

DS